cooling system probs by NCTyphoonKid
Started on: 01-17-2015 03:09 PM
Replies: 6 (271 views)
Last post by: therepairguy on 02-15-2015 06:42 AM
NCTyphoonKid

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidClick Here to Email NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my 86 been trying to get everything sorted on it and the cooling system is giving me probs, I just bought a new rad cap stant part # 10230 but still having problems, the car gets hot and overflows the overflow tank and it allows all the coolant to pretty much go on the ground. The thermostat is good I put it in boiling water and watched it but it's a 180° Stat instead of the factory 195°. Amy help is appreciated
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 550
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fill system correctly?
See my Cave, Coolant Fill

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 443
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would suggest the obvious things first... such as filling and "burping" the cooling system properly, and ensuring the coolant reservoir is filled to the correct level. You want to make sure no air is trapped in the system.

Originally posted by Patrick:

* Make sure rad cap is the proper one for Fiero use. The catalogs are wrong! You want a non-vented one,
* Check that the overflow tank and the small hose to the rad are both in good shape. Otherwise air gets sucked in.
* Ensure that coolant level in overflow tank is at the "Cold" level.
* Position rear end of Fiero higher than the front.
* Remove thermostat housing cap and thermostat... and then add coolant to thermostat housing with rad cap also removed until coolant runs out the top of the radiator.
* Re-install rad cap.

* Continue to add coolant until you see the level come up to where the thermostat normally sits.
* Put thermostat cap on and turn just barely enough to hold cap on.
* Start engine and run for about 30 seconds.
* Remove thermostat cap and check coolant level.
* Repeat last four steps until coolant level no longer drops.

* Re-install thermostat and thermostat housing cap.

As long as there are no blockages anywhere in the cooling system and the water pump is circulating coolant, you should be good to go.

NCTyphoonKid

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidClick Here to Email NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've tried both of those and neither worked for it I'm starting to think it has a bad head gasket or cracked head.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoClick Here to Email Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have a" Pressure gauge" screwed onto the radiator (where the cap goes on) you'l Know if it's a gasket or crack in about 1 minute

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bad gasket or cracked head I would think would mix oil and coolant and or burn it out the tailpipe as white smoke.
therepairguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for therepairguyClick Here to Email therepairguySend a Private Message to therepairguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The underbody coolant pipes haven't accidentally been crushed ????/

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock