starter shims by petehiggins75
Started on: 01-16-2015 07:57 PM
Replies: 6 (556 views)
Last post by: theogre on 09-16-2020 11:12 PM
petehiggins75

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can anyone please tell me how many shims to use when i go to replace my starter.i have an86 duke.there appears to be none currently on the starter...thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's no set amount, it really depends on the proper clearance. When you replace your starter, you will definitely need one, just because rebuilt starters may be resurface. I would get to 1/16th" spacers, start with one, and if there's no grinding or anything and it's smooth, then you're good.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never trust old shim setup to work w/ another starter.
Many brands come w/ shims and correct gauge. Automatic trans is hard to use the gauge... You need to find wire same size and bend that to work.

See my Cave, Starter

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

petehiggins75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you t-a and ogre
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2020 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Never trust old shim setup to work w/ another starter.
Many brands come w/ shims and correct gauge. Automatic trans is hard to use the gauge... You need to find wire same size and bend that to work.

See my Cave, Starter

I've never figured out how anyone manages to check this in the car.
With transmission off on a cradle, sure it's easy to see starter/flywheel tooth engagement.

But with engine/transmission in the car, even with transmission splash shield off, I can't see shi... anything...

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-16-2020).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2020 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I've never figured out how anyone manages to check this in the car.
With transmission off on a cradle, sure it's easy to see starter/flywheel tooth engagement.

But with engine/transmission in the car, even with transmission splash shield off, I can't see shi... anything...

Very true. That why we paint the starter gear with white water latex paint before installing the starter. After the paint dries you can tell if the gear meshes properly by looking at the way the paint rubs off when in contact with the flywheel/flexplate.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2020 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by petehiggins75:
Can anyone please tell me how many shims to use when i go to replace my starter.i have an86 duke.there appears to be none currently on the starter...thanks
any starter may need shim(s) or not. And any replacement starter might need same or different then old unit.

Many starters you buy at stores have shims and gauge to install right. If not...
See my Cave, Starter

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock