Broke two bolts on swaybar bushing by DandRauto
Started on: 01-16-2015 01:32 PM
Replies: 10 (414 views)
Last post by: DKcustoms on 01-20-2015 04:28 PM
DandRauto

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DandRautoSend a Private Message to DandRautoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I broke the two bolts that held the front sway bar rubber bushing to the frame on the passenger side. Now you can see them sticking above the tread part but both below the surface of the frame rails.

Anybody have advice or techniques. I don't believed that I read about this before. Thanks in advance.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Weld on a nut and see if you can back it out?
LostNotForgotton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LostNotForgottonClick Here to visit LostNotForgotton's HomePageSend a Private Message to LostNotForgottonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had that happen on several Fiero's. Seems to be a common issue when removing the sway bar. I originally tried drilling them out with some titanium tipped drill bits but they kept breaking and it took forever. Then I found that if you use a cobalt drill bit it goes right through sooooo much easier. Once I drilled out the old bolts I just replaced them with a hardened bold and nut. I autocross my car and never had any break on me so it's working. There are holes on the side frame rails near where the sway bar bolts are attached so you can stick the nuts in through there and use your finger to help get them started while wrenching the bolt. Once it gets to tight for your fingers you can use the open end of a wrench to stick in the hole to hold the nut until the bolt is tightened with a wrench. Just make sure the holes you drill (if not exactly where the broken bolt is) will line up with the holes on the sway bar bracket before you drill them through.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had the same problem. Used a Cobalt drill bit and drilled out the bolts. I enlarged the hole slightly, and then used heavy duty / high strength bolts that I fed through the top (through the little access hole) and then just used a nut on the underside.

Note, this was on a car that was 99% rust free except for some surface rust on the control arms. Basically... no rust.
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the same problem.
3 of the 4 bolts (for 2 bushings) snapped inside the holes.

Tried drilling a hole through them and using a bolt extractor.
Broke the bolt extractor...

Finally had to drill out the holes and like others have said, I am using larger Grade 8 bolts with a nut
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DandRauto:

I broke the two bolts...

Originally posted by LostNotForgotton:

I've had that happen on several Fiero's.

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Had the same problem.

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

I had the same problem.

Originally posted by Eglaore:

I had 2 break on me as well...

Don't any of you guys use penetrating oil to prevent these type of issues? (...assuming you never had the opportunity to use anti-seize on these fasteners when they were assembled.)

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-17-2015).]

Eglaore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EglaoreSend a Private Message to EglaoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had 2 break on me as well when i stripped my car down. I just drilled them out and tapped the holes to a 10mm bolt.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2015 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Don't any of you guys use penetrating oil to prevent these type of issues? (...assuming you never had the opportunity to use anti-seize on these fasteners when they were assembled.)

Hah, I did... promise... but it's hard for the penetrating oil to fight gravity. Truth be told though... my Fiero is 100% rust free (had to brag). There is NO rust on it except a bit of surface rust. But those bolts... they just wouldn't give. I've literally (in the literal sense of the literal word) taken apart the whole rest of the car, and nothing else snapped!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had the same problem on my GT years ago.

Drilled out the holes, retapped to next larger size. New bolts were stainless steel, installed using anti-seize on the threads.

Never a problem since.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

DandRauto

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2015 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DandRautoSend a Private Message to DandRautoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should have asked before I broke them. My basic problem was I didn't know about the access holes before I started. Put PK blaster on from the bottom but that did get at the treads. So will take the advice and drill them out.

So thanks for all the responses.
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2015 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I hit all 4 of mine with pb blaster, both from the top and bottom, and let them sit for a week.
Still broke 3 :P
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock