Autocheck by hoddy
Started on: 01-12-2015 11:30 PM
Replies: 13 (310 views)
Last post by: PaulJK on 01-13-2015 10:06 PM
hoddy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoddySend a Private Message to hoddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seeing as I am on the other side of the world can someone explain Autocheck to me please. A Fiero I am looking at I clicked the Autocheck add and it stated the car had 31 records. Did not get to the point of paying for this information as have no idea what it could possibly contain.
Many Thanks
Hoddy
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My experience with Autocheck (and/or Carfax) when running a VIN is less than favorable. So much info is usually missing that it basically renders the report worthless.

My advice is to save your money. You may get other opinions from other members here.

The following is what Autocheck reported on an '88 Formula that I brought up from the States in 2013. What I've posted is what I got. I was hoping to at least get some relatively current odometer readings as the instrument pod was missing in the car. As you can see, the only odometer reading was from 1990. Useless!

VIN: 1G2PE1192JP221440
Year: 1988
Make: Pontiac
Model: Fiero Formula
Style/Body: Coupe 2D
Class: Sport Car - Touring
Engine: 2.8L V6 MPI
Country of Assembly: United States
Vehicle Age: 25 year(s)
Calculated Owners: 2
07/17/1990 SEYMOUR, TN
21,580 (Odometer reading)
Motor Vehicle Dept. ODOMETER READING FROM DMV
11/21/1996 OAK HARBOR, WA
Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
12/01/1997 OAK HARBOR, WA
01/16/2002 COUPEVILLE, WA
01/22/2003 COUPEVILLE, WA
01/14/2005 COUPEVILLE, WA
01/15/2009 OAK HARBOR, WA
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:9435510212)
REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
12/29/2009 OAK HARBOR, WA

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-13-2015).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When we at The Georgia Fiero Club were investigating this type service, I contacted both AutoCheck and CarFax. Both offered a report on a vehicle, so I used the VIN on a car the club owned. Some basic things in the reports were the same, like records by government agencies. Accident reports, new ownersnip or title renewals, etc. Both reported insurance incidents, which I assume came from police accident reports. Some police agencies don't report to these services or put reports online to be picked up by these services.

Some automobile service centers report their servicing to these two companies and when comparing our reports, AutoChek seemed to have a larger network of garages than did CarFax. Even with that, there were some that reported servicing to CarFax only and others that reported to both. Some events had mileage and some didn't. It all depends upon what the reporting business tells AutoChek or CarFax.

In our case we decided to go with CarFAx as a benefit to our members. The information that came in about the different vehicles we obtained reports on varied greatly and I suppose that was due to the facility making the report.

The only advantage of one of these reports is that you might obtain a little more information about a vehicle than you would get from the seller. A CarFax report helped me to track down a title for a car that the salvage yard refused to attempt to obtain. It was a 69,000 mile 85GT in need of a motor.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
When we at The Georgia Fiero Club were investigating this type service, I contacted both AutoCheck and CarFax. Both offered a report on a vehicle, so I used the VIN on a car the club owned. Some basic things in the reports were the same, like records by government agencies. Accident reports, new ownersnip or title renewals, etc. Both reported insurance incidents, which I assume came from police accident reports. Some police agencies don't report to these services or put reports online to be picked up by these services.

Some automobile service centers report their servicing to these two companies and when comparing our reports, AutoChek seemed to have a larger network of garages than did CarFax. Even with that, there were some that reported servicing to CarFax only and others that reported to both. Some events had mileage and some didn't. It all depends upon what the reporting business tells AutoChek or CarFax.

In our case we decided to go with CarFAx as a benefit to our members. The information that came in about the different vehicles we obtained reports on varied greatly and I suppose that was due to the facility making the report.

The only advantage of one of these reports is that you might obtain a little more information about a vehicle than you would get from the seller. A CarFax report helped me to track down a title for a car that the salvage yard refused to attempt to obtain. It was a 69,000 mile 85GT in need of a motor.

Reporting data by X co often have deal to pay X co in cash, dealer that owns the center gets free reports, etc.
Many Police Dept make Money for accident reports. You can't even see your own wreck report w/o paying the police.
Total a car is not a Govmnt data in many cases... That is Insurance call. My guess Insurance companies do not report data w/o getting a lot of money.
Is part of why you won't find the car was totaled or even in a wrench in many places.

Many States DMV do not report data to any service or once per X. X could be 90 days, a year, whatever.
Some States is illegal to sell DMV records to anyone, including Carfax et al.

Many problems w/ them. CarFax have been sued for misleading ads etc. Is why Current ads change ending now says CarFax doesn't know everything...

For Recalls, just visit NHTSA.gov

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-13-2015).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Total a car is not a Govmnt data in many cases... That is Insurance call. My guess Insurance companies do not report data w/o getting a lot of money.
Is part of why you won't find the car was totaled or even in a wreck in many places.

I had discovered that as well with an Indy that I knew to be totaled and then re-built. If important data like that can't be counted on to be in a report, then I don't see any point in using these "services". Not only are they a complete waste of money IMO, but worse yet, they can give a false sense of security about a potential purchase.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't most US states show a totaled vehicle on the title? Salvage Title or Rebuilt as it's called.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't most US states show a totaled vehicle on the title? Salvage Title or Rebuilt as it's called.

They do, but the term means different things in different States. In Michigan, it's a death sentence....you will never get the car truly legal again, and the car is good for parts. But in Illinois, it means you have to make one more trip to the DMV to get the title changed.....
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know here in Texas the title is listed as either Salvage or Rebuilt/Salvage.
A salvage is just having a title for a parts car that can never be roadworthy.
A Rebuilt/Salvage is a car that`s been totalled by the ins company and then all of the damaged parts replaced and the car inspected by the DMV to be registered as roadworthy again.
It still maintains a dark mark on it`s record that affects the value from 20 to 40 percent.
In the case of a Fiero though "totaled" can have a whole different meaning than with other cars with the difficulty in getting factory approved parts still to repair it.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Neither of them are completly reliable.
A Trailblazer that we used to own got hail damaged on two separate occasions. One insurance payout was over $5K and the other was over $2K.
Neither of those ever made it to Autocheck or Carfax (IIRC)
The repairs were done "on the side" and not by a shop. But I would have expected that State Farm would have reported it.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Neither of them are completly reliable.
A Trailblazer that we used to own got hail damaged on two separate occasions. One insurance payout was over $5K and the other was over $2K.
Neither of those ever made it to Autocheck or Carfax (IIRC)
The repairs were done "on the side" and not by a shop. But I would have expected that State Farm would have reported it.

I know what you mean.
I ran a Carfax on my son`s car today and it showed nothing.
His car got damaged by hail and a shop fixed it.
They replaced the windshield, the moonroof and one mirror.
hoddy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoddySend a Private Message to hoddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx for the replies, obviously not going to be much help to me.
Next question, the car is in Milwaulkwe, can anyone recommend someone I can get to do a check / inspection to ascertain condition ( don't always trust photos ) and being thousands of miles away pretty hard for me to test drive.
Thanks
Hoddy
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Many times Branding the Title as Salvage doesn't mean much, even when states enforce their Salvage rules.
Are ways and Many make money to "wash" a Title clean. Google: auto title washing
Big problem is Insurance Companies sell their "Totals" without branding the title. This problem is why/how many Flood cars are sold and on the road.

They might report some cars to carfax or Autocheck but many time not. Or you get Carfax but Insurance Co only deals w/ Autocheck.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Milwaukee, Wisconsin? I would PAY Rodney Dickman to look at it.

Milwaukie, Oregon? I don't know anybody.....

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-13-2015).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Some automobile service centers report their servicing to these two companies ...

I took a car to PepBoys for a battery charge and got a free brake inspection and later found it turned up on CarFax. WTF ? Potential buyer asked me if something was wrong with the brakes on the car 'cause he knew i had taken it for the inspection. Big Brother is watching

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 01-13-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock