Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What is the difference between 1984 and 85-88 door skins.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What is the difference between 1984 and 85-88 door skins. by woodyhere
Started on: 01-09-2015 03:49 PM
Replies: 8 (547 views)
Last post by: woodyhere on 01-11-2015 08:50 PM
woodyhere

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking for a door skin for my 84 sport coup. Will a newer door skin fit with modifications?

Thanks

------------------
woodys 427

[This message has been edited by woodyhere (edited 01-09-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe......Both doors are described in this 'HowTo'. 84 doors should be easy to find, though.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000019.html

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-09-2015).]

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess that couldn't be more clear. Thanks for the great link. I had my 87 apart to put in dew wipers but read the 84's are different. That clears it up!

------------------
woodys 427

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry the pics aren't better.

The gap between the windows and the door skins on the '84s is about 1/8" bigger.
The '84s need wider dew wipes.

'84 doorskin to window gap:

'86 ('85 to '88):
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's interesting about the gaps. I was talking with one of the fellows that makes due wipers and he told me late 84's have the narrower gap. I measured my 87 and it's about 5/8th, my 84 measured the same! I guess I lucked out. Thanks for going to the trouble to measure and post pictures

------------------
woodys 427

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by woodyhere:

It's interesting about the gaps. I was talking with one of the fellows that makes due wipers and he told me late 84's have the narrower gap. I measured my 87 and it's about 5/8th, my 84 measured the same! I guess I lucked out. Thanks for going to the trouble to measure and post pictures

The Fiero Store warns about the difference between '84s and the rest in their info about dew wipes. I got a set for my '86 and there would be an open gap if I used the same ones on my '84.

Seajai (Chris) makes dew wipes now too, but I'm not aware if he's done any for the '84s with a bigger gap.

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chris emailed me the info on the early - late 84 width. I have to take off a skin anyway so it will be interesting if it has 3 push fasteners at the top or a hooked edge. Mine definitely measure 5/8 inch. It's possible my doors aren't 84's, just happen to be on an 84.

------------------
woodys 427

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Early design door panels have a notch at the end wheres the late 84 to 88 do not. From what I can tell, 84's produced after April-May of 1984 have the 85-up outer skin.

Here is a pic of the 1st design door with my dew wipe installed, you can see the gap between the dew and the skin.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 01-10-2015).]

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the later design. I'll have to get a pair ordered from you Chris. Thanks for the pics!

------------------
woodys 427

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock