Vacation Projects by busa_powered
Started on: 01-09-2015 03:47 PM
Replies: 12 (400 views)
Last post by: busa_powered on 01-13-2015 09:27 AM
busa_powered

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I have quite a few things to work on this coming week on vacation.

I have the LED taillights but have not installed it yet. Ironically, I think my flasher unit has died, as one of the signal lights is illuminated in the dash, but the front signal light doesnt illuminate or flash at all. So I assume I need a new flasher unit. Which is the one that is used with the LED flasher units to slow down the turn signal flash? Is it available at autozone?

I am going to fix the door rattle, I found all the info on here I need to fix that one

I have a new radio/ac bezel to replace

I have a new pump for the window washer resovior

and the one I am dreading.......replacing a dew wipe! ugh

The previous owner changed out one but not the other for some reason, ironically the window wont come down or the power lock wont work on the one he replaced, the motor works on the window and lock but no movement.

I got the dew wipe with the new screws, and the tool from dickman.

I printed off everything about replacing them and I found a few youtube videos so I am hoping this wont be too bad.

I will be busy
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dew wipes aren't too bad...
my write up can be found here:

www.michiganfieroclub.com under tech tips.

Originally posted by busa_powered:

Ok so I have quite a few things to work on this coming week on vacation.

I have the LED taillights but have not installed it yet. Ironically, I think my flasher unit has died, as one of the signal lights is illuminated in the dash, but the front signal light doesnt illuminate or flash at all. So I assume I need a new flasher unit. Which is the one that is used with the LED flasher units to slow down the turn signal flash? Is it available at autozone?

I am going to fix the door rattle, I found all the info on here I need to fix that one

I have a new radio/ac bezel to replace

I have a new pump for the window washer resovior

and the one I am dreading.......replacing a dew wipe! ugh

The previous owner changed out one but not the other for some reason, ironically the window wont come down or the power lock wont work on the one he replaced, the motor works on the window and lock but no movement.

I got the dew wipe with the new screws, and the tool from dickman.

I printed off everything about replacing them and I found a few youtube videos so I am hoping this wont be too bad.

I will be busy

busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

dew wipes aren't too bad...
my write up can be found here:

www.michiganfieroclub.com under tech tips.

Great, cause I printed that last night and wondered about the grinder. Guess I will need to get one
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your dew wipe screws are corroded at all, it will be a PITA.
I bought Rodney's tool, which is ingenious, but with corrosion I had to use wood shims against my window for leverage

On the new ones I used 7mm nuts on the outer holes and didn't put anything in the middle holes
Larry Nakamura

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The correct way to get the center two screws in/out for the dew wipes is to undo
the window stops (make sure you mark their positions so you can re-install
them in the same position). This way you can raise the window enough to get
a screw driver in under the window to undo/install the screws. Do a google search
and I believe you can find the instructions to do it this way. Some people have done
it the other way by cutting out the two center screws and not putting them back in
when re-installing the new dew wipes. That's because it was a while before someone
found the real correct way to do the replacement. When you have the window stops
out you need to help the window when raising it up by pulling up and back towards
the rear of the car. You don't need Rodney's tool to do the job correctly. As I recall you
also take out the rear track for the window guide. Also it's a good time to clean up
the tracks and regrease them, this helps eliminate squeeking and helps to increase
the speed of the window operation.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:
You really should check for bad grounds, which could also be the cuplrit, but this is a cheapmway to troubleshoot that.

Yup... Ground problems, often light are "on" but not drawing enough amps to flash.
See my Cave, Sneak Path etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I thought replacing the dew wipes was the worst repair I've ever encountered. It took me about a weekend. I didn't remove the bump-stops though.

At least I don't have to deal with it for another 30 years
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I found out it was just a loose connection, so no flasher is needed. Signals work fine now

I replaced the trim bezel and swapped the vents out just fine

So far so good, yes I am dreading the dew wipe ugh
Larry Nakamura

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is nothing to dread about the dew wipes. I've done a few. The first
time it took approx 4 hrs. After that it is about a 2 hour job. Just remember
to mark the bolt locations for the window stops and the rear window guide
track before you take them out. You will see there are two U shape cut outs
in the door frame that are there to enable a screw driver to get to the two
center screws. Remember to assist the window alittle when you raise it up
and back towards the rear of the car and you will see that you can get a
screw driver in under the window to get to those two screws.

Did you get new screws to replace the old ones? The old ones will probable
be pretty rusty. Made sure you don't drop the screws down into the door frame.
I used alittle sticky stuff to hold the screws to the screw driver when doing
the removal/replacement. Remember the other reason to replace the dew wipes
is there are two window guides covered in felt that get worn off with time and will
eventually scratch the glass on the window. You don't want that to happen or
your are probably looking at replacing the window. Take your time and if you get
frustrated, take a break before resuming the work. It's alittle frustrating working
through the holes in the door frame to do the work, but not too bad. If you have
any questions, just post and I'll try and assist.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I got the door striker replaced

Got the dew wipe today but it was damaged so that is
Irritating
PFF
System Bot
FieroTony

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Vacation time to work on your Fiero, (or other projects). Bet that's a treat. I wish I could pull that one off, but the wife will have no part of that
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroTony:

Wow! Vacation time to work on your Fiero, (or other projects). Bet that's a treat. I wish I could pull that one off, but the wife will have no part of that

That's not an issue, I have the upper hand in the marriage in that regard.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock