Trying to decide on a muffler by Tweeder
Started on: 01-09-2015 02:33 AM
Replies: 44 (1386 views)
Last post by: Neils88 on 03-11-2018 12:08 AM
Tweeder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking at ordering a pair of stainless muffler tips with 3" inlet but 'm not sure if it will be too loud or not. I'm running a magnaflow right now and the drone is killer. I'm thinking something along the lines of this;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-I...em259a20a1e9&vxp=mtr

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD(2002), Gen V, 3.3 pulley, SD headers

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What engine? How is the exhaust routed?
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

What engine? How is the exhaust routed?

Its the 3800sc with sd headers. I have a pipe that comes straight down and splits towards the passenger and drivers theen both sides 90 degree out the back end.

------------------

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pm sent
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pm sent

I think it got lost in the mail. Lol.

------------------

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sent again.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
silencer included ? sounds like it's made (Internals) like a "Bike" muffler. My guess, it going to be LOUD.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know what that was but I was missing the Reply icon for a few minutes.

Anyway. The 14" body with 5-7" tips sticks out allot. Especially with the center inlet.

I got Spintech tip mufflers which have a 45* inlet and I got them to fit but with about a 4" outlet.

Those off brand tip mufflers are pretty loud. If you want to actually dampen your sound, you are better off to go with Magnaflow.

You also don't want a 3" pipe. They are hard to get around corners and they really slow down your exhaust flow.

I do a 2.5" pipe and that gives a nice deep throat sound.

Magnaflow uses a 2.25" intake with a 14" body but these ones have shorter tips.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02...p?zone=main&id=11331
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

Don't know what that was but I was missing the Reply icon for a few minutes.

Anyway. The 14" body with 5-7" tips sticks out allot. Especially with the center inlet.

I got Spintech tip mufflers which have a 45* inlet and I got them to fit but with about a 4" outlet.

Those off brand tip mufflers are pretty loud. If you want to actually dampen your sound, you are better off to go with Magnaflow.

You also don't want a 3" pipe. They are hard to get around corners and they really slow down your exhaust flow.

I do a 2.5" pipe and that gives a nice deep throat sound.

Magnaflow uses a 2.25" intake with a 14" body but these ones have shorter tips.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02...p?zone=main&id=11331

I have to wait to get the parts in i ordered to see what room to have to play with for mufflers. I have a magnaflow from my truck that i cut a hole in the middle and then 90 out each end out the back of the car. Its looks like s!?t but it did the job, now to do it properly. I found the magnaflow off my truck(14419) has quite the drone to it.

------------------

mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Define drone... i drove to Richland 600 miles round trip and didn't have any drone to speak of...

Here's some soundclips

-Mitch
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mitchjl22:

Define drone... i drove to Richland 600 miles round trip and didn't have any drone to speak of...

-Mitch

Sounds pretty good. Which Spintech is that?

Bob
PFF
System Bot
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will see if I can get a clip. It's not to bad at idle but cruising around it's bad, if I have the top up, it's even worse. Don't know how to explain it, almost like there's too much bass, it's vibrating right in your head and uncomfortable. It's a deep constant sound.

------------------

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
U need 2 add a resonator, a high flow cat, or both to kill the drone.
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

I do have two magnaflow hi-flow cats on the shelf that I have never used. I could use them but I will look into that resonator thing and see.

------------------

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a pair of Spintech 3-swirl in the 7"x12" format with 2.5" inlets at 45*. the reason for the 7" width is that Spintech will add 1/2" of stainless steel mesh to the sides to cut reverberation. It works. It does control my carb'd 4.9 sound and doesn't drone. The downside is that they aren't made to be pretty. Heavy guage steel with square corners and no chrome. But they are reasonably priced, will outlast the car, and do the job.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Or save yourself some money and use cherry bombs.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 01-15-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Or save yourself some money and use cherry bombs...

I'm sorry, but IMO at low revs that engine/exhaust combination sounds like a tractor.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

I used a Jones Full Boar (Quiet Tone). Small size (13"), crossover (single in, dual out). Quite inexpensive ($76) and nice sound (running with my 4.9L swap).

Specifically, I used: Q414E - 2.5" X 2.5" OFFSET/DUAL - 13" BODY X 18.5" OVERALL LENGTH

http://www.jonesexhaust.com/

Looking at the drawing, the Q414E is NOT a crossflow muffler.
https://www.carid.com/jones...ffler-mpn-q414e.html

The correct PN should be FB2583
http://jones.onmecka.com/Pr...8D-9620-ADC299B92A9B

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-10-2018).]

gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tweeder:

I do have two magnaflow hi-flow cats on the shelf that I have never used. I could use them but I will look into that resonator thing and see.

Look into Hedman Hot Tips. They are about $30@. I use them with a Spintech muffler and they helped out a lot to mellow out the sound.
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

gtoformula

761 posts
Member since Feb 2012

Originally posted by Tweeder:

Look into Hedman Hot Tips. They are about $30@. I use them with a Spintech muffler and they helped out a lot to mellow out the sound.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I'm sorry, but IMO at low revs that engine/exhaust combination sounds like a tractor.

But no drone. He also has a cherry bomb extreme ahead of the 2 glass packs that's probably the reason for the nasty sound. I'd live with that sound, under load it sounds just fine.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd live with that sound, under load it sounds just fine.

It would be interesting to hear that engine/exhaust system from the side of the road while doing a drive-by at speed. From inside the car it's difficult to hear much over the SC when he gets on it.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know who he is and I'm sorry if he is a forum member but as long as he doesn't talk I'd like to see that video.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know who he is and I'm sorry if he is a forum member but as long as he doesn't talk I'd like to see that video.

Are you making fun of that good ol' Canadian boy from Ontario? They all talk just like that back there.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh accent and mannerisms are fine, it's the presentation and words used.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...it's the presentation and words used.

That's what I was referring to!
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Silly canadians
countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtoformula:

This looks like what I need. I have a cat but no room for a muffler so my car is obnoxiuosly loud. Do you think these would make it tolerable?

mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Sounds pretty good. Which Spintech is that?

Bob

Small case 3800/Fiero

-Mitch

------------------
My Car - 87' GT - 3800sc - Flat Black - Lowered
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/121571.html#p0

JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is my simple setup that's not to loud and totally acceptable at highway speeds.
Magnaflow 12267

Outside

Inside

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 02-22-2015).]

Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought all the parts to make JCircs exhaust except I am going to try to put a tiny magnaflow bullet style cat where the horizontal section is just past the flex. JCircs, please don't forget to get me that measurement of the horizontal Section we've been emailing about.

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way. But I just got the 3800sc to swap into it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

PFF
System Bot
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou and Blue

1349 posts
Member since Dec 2013
JCircs, can you please
Post some pictures if that exhaust IN your car to give me an idea of clearance? Particularly, do I have room to extend that horizontal section more to the drivers side to fit the cat in before the downward bend? Pictures would help immensely , and that measurement.
Thank you !!!

Oh and I got the vclamp flange welded to the bonneville manifold yesterday.
------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way. But I just got the 3800sc to swap into it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

[This message has been edited by Lou and Blue (edited 02-22-2015).]

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou and Blue:

JCircs, can you please
Post some pictures if that exhaust IN your car to give me an idea of clearance? Particularly, do I have room to extend that horizontal section more to the drivers side to fit the cat in before the downward bend? Pictures would help immensely , and that measurement.
Thank you !!!

Oh and I got the vclamp flange welded to the bonneville manifold yesterday.

I will email you later today, nice move with the V band.

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post02-22-2015 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if supertraps are still made,, it might be another choice..
make it somewhat quite when needed and open them up for the car show/track time..
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The vband looks good, but the way it was welded on now makes for less clearance to the trunk wall. I hope I can fit the bend in.
Also,in looking at automarshals thread his exhaust flex has steell braid on the outside but a corrugated pipe on the inside. Ill have to double check, buti I think the flex I bought has the steel braid inside and out, but I guess that wouldn't be air tight then. Ill have to take a Look at it again and see if I got the wrong flex. I was trying to get the shortest 3" peice .
This is the exact item I bought
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

[This message has been edited by Lou and Blue (edited 02-22-2015).]

gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by countach711:

This looks like what I need. I have a cat but no room for a muffler so my car is obnoxiuosly loud. Do you think these would make it tolerable?

I had the new exhaust system on and running, but it was still a bit too loud. I was surprised at the difference it made after installing the Hedman Hot Tips. Only about $30, but a big improvement.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post02-22-2015 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The vband looks good, but the way it was welded on now makes for less clearance to the trunk wall. I hope I can fit the bend in.
Also,in looking at automarshals thread his exhaust flex has steell braid on the outside but a corrugated pipe on the inside. Ill have to double check, buti I think the flex I bought has the steel braid inside and out, but I guess that wouldn't be air tight then. Ill have to take a Look at it again and see if I got the wrong flex. I was trying to get the shortest 3" peice .
This is the exact item I bought
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

THat flex (all braid) will be fine, unless you are driving a turbo with the exhaust.. most exhaust systems don't have enough backpressure to push through the double braid.. and if they do, there is something wrong . many imported cars have the braid flex o.e.m.
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My exhaust will flow from manifold to flex to magnaflow bullet cat to magnaflow muffler in picture above (same as JCircs) to c6 tips. I have a pair of hedman hot tips but I'm not using them for this exhaust. I was going to use them on my Delorean but never did. One was flooded in sandy so it's all rusty and I never liked the red look inside them.

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou and Blue

1349 posts
Member since Dec 2013
I'm sure resonators could be snuck in jus before the tips though. Seems like more than enough space there.

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm sure resonators could be snuck in jus before the tips though. Seems like more than enough space there.

The Hedman tips have the resonators built in.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock