Soldering Dirty Wires by Fierology
Started on: 01-07-2015 08:08 PM
Replies: 11 (685 views)
Last post by: phonedawgz on 03-24-2020 09:16 PM
Fierology

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ran into problems when trying to solder corroded connections. I came across this website when terracing what to do, and I thought I would share it with the forum. Looks like a good and simple method of cleaning old wiring connections for repairs.

http://m.instructables.com/...an-wires-in-minutes/

Any thoughts to share? Criticisms?

I also have had a rough time getting solder adhesion without paste flux. But I'm under the impression that paste flux will corrode electrical wires over time. I'm using rosin core solder.

Michael
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any paste/liquid flux must be right type.
Acid flux, like some plumbing flux, will cause electric item to fail and is why last step in your link is very important.
You can get past and liquid flux that is safe for electric work.

You can get past w/ some solder in it so the it will "self tin" what you heat later.

Mouser Digikey etc have many options.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I generally use your basic rosin flux. Got a big tub of it from Radio Shack for a few bucks. Make sure too that the tip of the iron is clean and tinned. Radio Shack also sells a small tip cleaning compound that helps too. It improves heat transference.
Paul.S

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2015 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul.SSend a Private Message to Paul.SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good flux is the key to a good solder joint. When I first tried to solder I thought I had no talent for it. I was using rosin, when I switched to a specialty liquid flux for the electronics industry, I could solder like an artist.

Kester 2331-ZX. I have a gallon of it, enough to last me many lifetimes.

10ml isn't much, but you only need a drop. You could probably get 300 drops or so from this:
http://www.all-spec.com/pro...LHg8MCFchr7AodjAYAyA

Start soldering with ½ a drop of solder on the iron. Press the iron on the joint and hold it in one spot. The half a drop of solder will form to the shape of the joint and make good thermal contact. With good flux when the joint heats up capillary attraction will draw the solder where it should go like magic. - Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul.S (edited 01-08-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2015 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forget to add this...
Note that some Fluxes while safe for electrical work... Don't get it on you skin and you shouldn't breath in solder and flux fumes.
Many Paste and Liquid fluxes can irritate skin, damage eyes, etc.
Fumes can irritate eyes, breathing, etc.
Read the MSDS for these items.
See my Cave, Bad Chemicals

Occasional use of solders and fluxes likely isn't a big problem.

Regular use of solder/flux indoors can cause HASMAT problems. Lead solders are worse but jury is still out on using RoHS lead free solders. When you solder, you generate fumes etc. Is the fumes that can cause issues and contaminate areas.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2015 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a fan of corroded wires.
Cut back to good copper and replace if at all possible.
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2015 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rather than trying to mix up your own concoctions to clean wires, just buy a can of CAIG DeOxit:
http://www.amazon.com/CAIG-...-Spray/dp/B0002BBV4G

Does the same thing in one simple step.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2015 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Corroded wire is resistive.
Sure, you can clean the bare part, but what about the corrosion under the insulation?
Always cut out corroded wire to good copper and replace with good wire.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let's say you had some switches like window switches or interior dimmer that sat around and now the contacts are oxidized and don't work well. If you gave them a vinegar bath, neutralized it and dried it . What would be a good lubricant to protect the freshly cleaned terminals?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same as everything else electrical work... "Bulb" grease, many silicon greases like dielectric grease, or brake grease.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierology:
I ran into problems when trying to solder corroded connections. I came across this website when terracing what to do, and I thought I would share it with the forum. Looks like a good and simple method of cleaning old wiring connections for repairs.

Thanks for the link. i am doing some soldering and i got very frustrated attempting to solder old wires. Can't wait to give it a try.

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

[This message has been edited by longjonsilver (edited 03-23-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2020 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Way too much work. First strip the wire and then fan out the strands. Take a reasonably sharp knife and "shave" off the corrosion. With stranded wire it comes right off. Then flip the wire and shave off the other side. Depending on how bad the wires are corroded you might need to reform the strands together and then fan them out 90 deg from the last shave and do it again. Your rosin core solder will stick like it's bare copper because it is bare copper.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock