Duke to V6 swap clutch question. by da.slyboy
Started on: 01-05-2015 05:26 PM
Replies: 3 (76 views)
Last post by: da.slyboy on 01-06-2015 09:39 AM
da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboyClick Here to Email da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Little info... swapping my exploded duke in my 86 5 speed for a V6.

I've searched many posts and haven't really read a concrete answer. Perhaps I'm searching with the wrong word combos.

Anyway my 5 speed Isuzu is in decent shape and I just replaced the clutch and pressure plate about 8k ago. I understand I need the flywheel for the V6 and have read that most people whom do this swap usually do the v6 clutch/pressure plate and Isuzu throwout bearing. There are a couple posts that have shown people using the isuzu clutch with no issues, but they are several years old and and would like to hear new or ongoing examples that the isuzu clutch works with a stock V6. Or do I need to go ahead and obtain a clutch for a 5 speed getrag?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should use the Isuzu hardware....including the slave cylinder.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It probably depends more upon how you're going to drive it, than anything.
If I understand correctly, the 4 cylinder clutch is physically smaller in diameter. The absolute holding power and the longevity will probably be somewhat reduced if you drive it hard. (But then, again, so may the longevity of the Isuzu.)
I fragged my first Getrag with a built up 3.4, and replaced it with a low mile Isuzu. I kept the V6 clutch and just utilized the Isuzu throwout bearing.
It worked with no problems, other than the crappy SPEC 2 clutch, but that's a story for another thread.
da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2015 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboyClick Here to Email da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car's mainly my daily driver, with the most excitement it sees is punching it on an on ramp. I just wanted to make sure the isuzu clutch would hold and be somewhat dependable as I wouldn't want to turn around and drop the engine again for replacement because failed quickly due to the slight increase in hp.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock