Anyone have a picture of the recall weather stripping for 1984 by woodyhere
Started on: 01-05-2015 05:23 PM
Replies: 19 (698 views)
Last post by: edfiero on 11-15-2017 11:13 AM
woodyhere

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a second Fiero. It's a 84 2M4 with absolutely no options. I can see the engine through the lovers in the hood. What does the recall weather strip look like? Mine has flat sheet metal plates on either side of the center hood vent. I haven't seen any like this before.

------------------
woodys 427

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
84's had a vent in the middle of the rear deck and two solid panels on either side of the center vent. This is the only year to have this. I don't a picture of the recall strip, but if you open the deck you should be able to see it under the rear window. It's a flat rubber strip. If it's not there it was removed when the car was recalled.
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think this is the one......

Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ponnari

565 posts
Member since Dec 2011
also see this MOD here on the forum, has some good pic's

Recall Weatherstrip

------------------
"Because in a split second, It's gone"
Ayrton Senna

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi John,
I don't have the strip but I see where it must have been clipped to the deck lid. It must have been about 4inches or so wide. I'm going to have to improvise on this one. I hate hearing the exhaust manifold hiss when water runs off the hood and down onto the hot parts.

Thanks for your help!

------------------
woodys 427

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ponnari:

I think this is the one......

No, that's not for an '84. That's off a later year Fiero.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the 84s, the strip was riveted to the edge of the decklid.
Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have made the later model ones work on the 84's without much hassle. I also have done the mod shown on the link I posted and it works great.

------------------
"Because in a split second, It's gone"
Ayrton Senna

johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2015 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 84 had the recall done, but for some reason they left the strip on. I guess they had reasons for removing it, but it seems to help keep water and junk from that area of the motor. Maybe a little better heat removal?
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My '84 had the weatherstrip and louver shields removed under recall. When I went to pick it up, I wasn't happy because the foil wrapped wires were visible through the vent. The service manager said they had thrown the strip and louvers in the scrap bin, so I dug them out and re-installed them. Water going through the vent will hit the manifold regardless.

Excluding the one angle brace, I believe this is the factory configuration:

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yow! That's going to be hard to find! Thanks so much for the picture. It's just what I was hoping to see. Now to find one!

------------------
woodys 427

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2015 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Water going through the vent will hit the manifold regardless.

Yes... even with everything still intact, water going through the vents runs all over the exhaust manifold. I've got two 84's, one with and one without the "recall" components on the decklid. There needs to be some sort of shelf added under the decklid vents to direct water away from the engine. Might save the manifold from eventually cracking.

Found these images online. They show the "recall" underside louver assembly which is normally missing.

Oh, that last one isn't an '84. I was just sort of distracted... by the engine.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-08-2015).]

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2015 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for starting my day off with a chuckle. Ah yes -- distractions.......... I think you are onto something there.

I'm going to think about some kind of engine cover/deflector and if I come up with anything I'll pass it on. Really good pictures of the factory deflector. Do you have some pictures of your 84's that you might like to post?

------------------
woodys 427

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2015 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by woodyhere:

Do you have some pictures of your 84's that you might like to post?

One of my 84's is a parts car... you don't want to see what it looks like presently.

This is the other '84, with a swapped in 5-spd. As you can see, it's been altered. I autocrossed it for four years, and it was a lot of fun. It's currently feeling sorry for itself at the end of my driveway. I've transferred the customized '86 hood and '87 decklid from the '84 to my 5-spd '88 Formula, which is the Fiero now used for autocross. Did you follow all that? I really loved driving the '84 (especially with the modified suspension), but I felt the need for a bit more power.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-08-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Yes... even with everything still intact, water going through the vents runs all over the exhaust manifold. I've got two 84's, one with and one without the "recall" components on the decklid. There needs to be some sort of shelf added under the decklid vents to direct water away from the engine. Might save the manifold from eventually cracking.

Originally posted by woodyhere:

I'm going to think about some kind of engine cover/deflector and if I come up with anything I'll pass it on.

I had a good look at my '84 and I've been inspired to build a shelf under the grill to prevent (or greatly reduce) the amount of rainwater that saturates the exhaust manifold. I think it can be done without restricting air flow too much up and out of the center grill.

Using David Hambleton's photo here - The area indicated in red is where the shelf needs to go. (Water does not run straight down onto the engine from the larger grill area.) I plan to angle the shelf down towards the front of the engine bay, with a lip turned up along the forward edge (indicated in green) to divert the water off to the sides. The shifter cables restrict how far the shelf can be tilted down on the driver's side, but having the shelf also minimally tilted somewhat towards the passenger side would be fine.

I picked up some sheet metal the other day and I'll see what I can come up with. I'll post my results. Keep in mind, I work with glacial speed.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-19-2015).]

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking the same thing but a little different. I was thinking of making a curved cover that mounts on the engine. I is probable harder to do and might not be as good as the deck lid mount. I'll mess with it too when I get a little more fee time.

Thanks Patrick!

------------------
woodys 427

FIERO JOHN-WI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here you go just got a ton of fiero stuff I picked up and it had the pre recall for 1984 only,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ra...AOSwIVhaCP6O&vxp=mtr
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm just re-posting a couple of John's images so they'll still be viewable when his eBay listing ends...

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sold the 84 a year or so ago. I have an 85 GT to restore at some point and my 87GT that I stole the 427 from for another project. The 87 has new 350 mild motor. Only put 14 miles on it this summer

------------------
woodys 427

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2017 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 84 did not have the weatherstrip removed during the recall.
I recently bought a NOS center 'grill' because the original was in sad shape. However the new one came with no weather stripping.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock