Stalling Issues 86 Iron Duke Auto by Squishyxout
Started on: 01-04-2015 08:09 PM
Replies: 2 (286 views)
Last post by: Squishyxout on 01-04-2015 09:46 PM
Squishyxout

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2015 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SquishyxoutSend a Private Message to SquishyxoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright guys, I've found a lot of help here thus far, hoping the same can come of this.

I got this car for free, and it wasn't running when I got it, it had been sitting for a very long time. It's an 86 2.5l 4cyl with the given automatic transmission. (haven't looked anything up about the trans, I hate autos)
So far, I've had to go through a few different things just to get it running as well as to get it running right.
Started off with throwing a battery in it and turning the key, nothing happened, so I disconnected the starter cleaned it up and put it back on, started up with a little motivation (full throttle)
It was idling at about 2500 non-stop so I checked and found a couple vacuum leaks, and fixed them. (bypassed cruise)
looked closer to the engine bay only to find the A/C Compressor just chillin' wedged between the exhaust and firewall.
I got the compressor out and checked to make sure everything related to it in the engine bay was dealt with. By the way, try to avoid 13 year old Freon..... it smells like death.

I hadn't changed the fluids yet, so I only ran it for about a minute and that was after checking the Oil and tranny dipsticks to make sure fluids existed.

Shortly after I got it running, a tinging in the top end formed, and I couldn't determine what it was, and I was checking all around the valve cover and noticed it definitely needed a new gasket so I went and got myself a gasket
^^ This goes without any explanation for the time being, I'll post a picture shortly afterwards and scare the crap out of all of you.

Got the gasket replaced and fixed the tinging, then I didn't see any improvement.,
after less than 30 seconds, the tinging came back.

replaced all the fluids, which wasn't a tedious thing at all minus the -5 windchill with the ATF flush XD seeing as it's got 3 fluids, oil ATF and Coolant

Finally got the parts needed to completely do away with the tinging in the top end, and replaced them, (hint, there are 8) and when I fixed it, I found out that I was only running on 3.5 cyls before and it sounded a hell of a lot better after the fix.

the problem here is that after I got it running on 4 cyls like it should be, it's high idle is at about 2k, and when I let it sit to warm up fully and drop down to about 800-900 revs, I can't put it in gear without it dying.

That shows the current issue and now I'll list what all I have replaced.

Battery
Cap
Rotor
Plugs
Wires
Alternator
Coolant Temp Sensor
TPS
Water Pump
A crap ton of Belts (Don't ask)
02 Sensor
Deleted the Cat (no emissions tests)
MAP sensor
EGR Valve
And a bunch of other things not related to the engine ie: brakes, lights, panels, speakers and such
Oh, and I know I have my timing right, because that was the first thing we did after it was back on 4 cyls

Any help or advice on what might keep my car from stalling at red lights or making it so I can put it in gear once it's warmed up would be GREATLY appreciated.

~Squishy
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2015 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's possible that your TCC on the transmission is bad. It's easy to test.

http://www.kichline.com/chuck/fiero/TCC.htm
Squishyxout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2015 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SquishyxoutSend a Private Message to SquishyxoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, that actually sounds about right, my "4th" gear only worked the first couple times I had it on the road then I could never get it to kick down again.

Hopefully I can get one of these and I'll replace it and let everyone know how it goes.

Another thing that makes me confident about this is the fact that it doesn't ever die if I just leave it in drive and don't go anywhere, it's after I drive for a bit and then come to a stop.

Thank you VERY much.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock