Miles jumped by Jayfelt
Started on: 12-31-2014 08:57 PM
Replies: 2 (111 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 01-02-2015 02:47 PM
Jayfelt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JayfeltClick Here to Email JayfeltSend a Private Message to JayfeltEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So randomly out of nowhere my Fiero's miles jumped from 110,000 to 210,000. Not sure if it broke or if it was rigged way before I got the car. Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 185
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jayfelt:

So randomly out of nowhere my Fiero's miles jumped from 110,000 to 210,000. Not sure if it broke or if it was rigged way before I got the car. Any ideas?

The Fiero's odometer is gear-driven by a pair of motors (one for the speedo and one for the odometer) that work off of the VSS.

(M is for miles, K is for kilometers)

I don't have a picture of the back-end of the odometer, but basically, there are a series of plastic gears pressed onto two (three?) metal rods. As these motors turn those rods, the gears move in conjunction to properly turn the speed. What happens is that the plastic gears will dry out and split... somewhat like a "pacman" type of shape, though not so pronounced. This allows those gears to occasionally slide up and down the rods where they otherwise should have stayed where they were. This can cause what you're seeing.

The Fiero's speedometer is fully rebuildable, so you can basically take it apart, and fix the 2 and turn it back to 1... and even replace that gear.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoClick Here to Email Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Plastic retainer strip on the back of the "rolling numbers" may have ripped. that's the only thing holding the numbers from Spinning.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock