Intermitting open in O2 sensor by newfiejeff
Started on: 12-30-2014 06:24 AM
Replies: 3 (96 views)
Last post by: armos on 12-31-2014 07:45 AM
newfiejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2014 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 2M4

I get the check engine light that comes on every now and then and it's the code for an open in the O2 sensor. I looked at the harness and checked it out and that seems fine, could it be the O2 sensor giving out or would the sensor ever give a code for something like that? I haven't traced the wire back to the computer but I know the O2 sensor is old.

Your thoughts as usual.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2014 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be bad O2, loose connect, or Ground issues. O2 ground is tan wire bolted to engine.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2014 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where is the ground wire attached to?
armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
O2 open circuit should be code 13 - is that the one you're getting?
According to the service manual:

Code 13 = Engine has been running for at least 2 minutes, throttle position is above 6%, and the O2 sensor voltage has stayed between 0.35-0.55v for more than one minute. In other words, the signal voltage is not swinging as it should. This suggests an open circuit, because the unmodified voltage provided by the ECM to the sensor is 0.45v vs the ground reference. (I don't know where this ground wire is located, sorry.)

It might be helpful to short the A-B pins on the ALDL connector, just as you would do when setting ignition timing. Do this while the car is turned all the way off. If you then start it, the check engine light will blink according to the O2 signal. If I'm not mistaken, it will blink rapidly when in open loop, then the blinking will slow down when it enters closed loop. At that point, the light will be on when it's reading high voltage (rich) and off when it's reading low voltage (lean). I don't know what the light would do at midrange though.
To test the sensor, the manual suggests doing the above, then disconnecting the O2 sensor and grounding it's connector to simulate a lean condition. Then start the car and watch whether the check engine light is reacting to the lean signal.
This is how they describe what to expect:

1986 manual pg 6E2-A-30
This step simulates a lean exhaust. If the ECM and wiring are OK the ECM will see the lean condition and turn the "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light off for at least 30 seconds after engine start, and then flash "open loop". It should be considered normal if the light remains off for a longer period of time before flashing open loop.

If this check passes, then the sensor and it's connector are suspect.

Since your problem is intermittent, I'm not sure how well you can test it. I'd be inclined to blindly replace the O2 sensor - they are cheap for these cars and they degrade gradually with age, so it might do some good to get a new one regardless.

[This message has been edited by armos (edited 12-31-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock