Duke Cam - What is it by edfiero
Started on: 12-28-2014 03:53 PM
Replies: 11 (272 views)
Last post by: edfiero on 01-03-2015 03:49 PM
edfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2014 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This part is labeled as a Cam Spacer.
Question is Do I need it, and if so where does it go?
It is the exact diameter as the timing gear end of the cam.
I checked the 84 Service Manual, but don't see mention of this.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ventura

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VenturaSend a Private Message to VenturaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a plate with two bolt holes that is located behind the cam gear. It's been a while but I believe it's like a crush spacer inside the thrust plate.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ventura:
There is a plate with two bolt holes that is located behind the cam gear. It's been a while but I believe it's like a crush spacer inside the thrust plate.

No.

retainer/trust plate Does Not use anything to keep clearance etc.
Gear is press on the cam w/ a bit of play so retainer moves freely.
Gear teeth won't allow play when engine is running.

I've never seen the part before.
See my Cave, Cam Gears

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2014 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Looks" like a bearing Race. WHO labeled it ?
Zeak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2014 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeakSend a Private Message to ZeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did some digging on google and could only find 2 images that look like what you have.
Never seen that part before today.

Link 1 (ebay)

Link 2 (ebay)
puddlejumper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for puddlejumperSend a Private Message to puddlejumperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Part number 82 in the duke engine picture in the 1984 to 1988 Pontiac Fiero Parts & Illustrations CD.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Zeak, yes, that is the part. This is in the Pontiac engine build kit for the SD 4.
Puddlejumper, could you Post a picture from the cd of where this part goes?
puddlejumper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for puddlejumperSend a Private Message to puddlejumperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This pic has it as #145
http://www.google.ca/imgres...kso4lM%3A&zoom=1&doc id=0S7rJYCttW0OyM&itg=1&hl=en&ei=vVOkVOCkBovkoATUtYC4DA&tbm=isch&ved=0CFEQMygrMCs&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=1200&page=2&start=32&ndsp=41
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by puddlejumper:
This pic has it as #145

Different book have different # labels for same part.
22P etc have part but may not be correct location.

87 FSM etc doesn't show clearly how spacer is used. Picture look like cam, retainer, spacer, gear... Text as shown...

Is not "crush" part.
the cam should have .0015 to .0050 (inch) of play with the gear installed.
Ventura

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VenturaSend a Private Message to VenturaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The spacer goes between the cam gear and camshaft. Measure the thickness of the thrust plate and the spacer. If the spacer is .005" thicker than the thrust plate, you have your answer.

I used a press to install the cam gear on my '84. If you press the gear on too far, you will lock up the thrust plate. I used the spacer for that reason.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have not measured it,but take another look at the pictures. This thing is pretty thick. Perhaps 1/8th of an inch. Certainly more than these tiny measurements that would be done with a feeler Guage. Still don't understand the use of this part.
PFF
System Bot
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2015 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump:
No body had their Duke cam (or timing gear) out recently to confirm if this is the spacer being used or not????

What I really dont understand is why the one side of this spacer is beveled. One side is square/flat (I assume this side would face the block) and the other side is beveled.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock