3-pin Oil pressure Sensor by Eglaore
Started on: 12-26-2014 07:40 PM
Replies: 9 (3565 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 12-31-2014 07:18 PM
Eglaore

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2014 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EglaoreSend a Private Message to EglaoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I read that you need a 3 pin oil pressure sensor from an 88 fiero to do a 3800 swap. I have the sensor and the plug for it but the wire colors are not to code becuase I had to add them to the plug. My question is the 3 wires are in pin A,C,D on the plug for the sensor, what wire is the ground, pcm wire, and guage wire?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2014 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96)
HX-40, FrozenBoost I/C, 80lb injectors & E85 Coming soon.....

Eglaore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EglaoreSend a Private Message to EglaoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the diagram
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Oil Sensor

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2014 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You Don't Actually" HAVE to Have" a '88 sensor, I reused my large '87 sensor and it works just fine. I've got a "T" in the line so I have a Mechanical Gauge Also
Eglaore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EglaoreSend a Private Message to EglaoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I already switched and got the plug so at this point I might as well continue forward.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have found that the top of the sensor needs to be shielded from water. The Orange/Black 12V wire is hot at all times. If water gets down into the cavity on top, it can short to the gauge and fuel pump and kill the battery overnight. It seems that aftermarket replacement harnesses aren't fully weatherproof even though they have the weather seal on them. If you can, try to find a 90 degree fitting to screw into the tube, then screw the sensor into it so that the sensor is laying on it's side. Unless you trimmed the new harness wire down, you have enough length to do this.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12811 posts
Member since Jan 2002
I have found that the top of the sensor needs to be shielded from water. The Orange/Black 12V wire is hot at all times. If water gets down into the cavity on top, it can short to the gauge and fuel pump and kill the battery overnight. It seems that aftermarket replacement harnesses aren't fully weatherproof even though they have the weather seal on them. If you can, try to find a 90 degree fitting to screw into the tube, then screw the sensor into it so that the sensor is laying on it's side. Unless you trimmed the new harness wire down, you have enough length to do this.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Correct.
Weather pack, Metri-Pack and other connectors are weather resistance. Water/weather resistance does not = water proof. Repeatedly soaking will cause problems.

Rain and road water + old type OP connector and OP sender on V6 w/ AC is a big target for problems.
88 type is better but still doesn't like that location. Rain Water and dirt on connector pointing down will work into connector over time. Is likely why GM moved 88 sender as show in my cave.
You can mod the tube etc in many ways and sender won't care much. Make sure everything won't melt or rub and short out.

Remember Rain water is dirty/polluted water. If you ignore "acid rain" is still dirty. Everything in the air is in rain too and can make it conduct power, corrode metal, etc.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes. I converted my 86 to the 88 sender and it worked well until the first time we had rain. A couple of days afterward when I tried to start it, the battery was dead. Charged it and it went dead again. Couldn't find the cause until I decided that maybe the sending unit was bad since oil pressure sending units can be a common source of parasitic battery drain. Unplugged the sender and it was full of water. I blew out the water and left it unplugged and charged the battery and it stayed charged, without driving the car, for a week. Once I put a shield over the top to keep the rainwater out, I've had no problems.

My conversion thread: http://www.gafiero.org/bbs/index.php?topic=1642.0

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock