Radiator suggestions by busa_powered
Started on: 12-22-2014 10:52 AM
Replies: 16 (444 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 12-28-2014 02:00 PM
busa_powered

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2014 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had alot of issues with losing coolant at the neck of the radiator where the cap is.

Ive been dealing with coolant loss since I got the car a few months ago.

It doesnt leak on the pavement at all. I can see the coolant on the rubber hose that is right under the cap. The hose is in good condition, no leaking.

It passes the pressure test at the shop but appears to leak while I am driving

The shop I go to says the radiator needs to be replaced preferably with an all aluminum one, the one on there is new but a cheap one from China.

They say its not sealing at the neck of the radiator like it should be

I made sure it does have a non vented cap on there as well.

I am not a mechanical guy at all, so I am the mercy of a shop

any suggestions on aluminum radiators?

[This message has been edited by busa_powered (edited 12-22-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2014 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does your radiator cap look like this:

or like this:

The one on your radiator should be this one:

The flat cap is for the thermostat housing on the engine.

------------------
ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

[This message has been edited by FIEROPHREK (edited 12-22-2014).]

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2014 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the rubber seal on the cap, and make sure the return line to the recovery tank isn't cracked or plugged. If they can pressure test the rad, then it's sealing fine.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2014 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They told me they put on what the oem states.

I was told it was non vented but I will check when I get it back
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2014 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The lever action cap also will NOT work. I always bought Champion aluminum radiators if I could. I had their 2 row replacement in my 413 CI SuperBee and it worked great. If I needed one fast locally, I bought Modine. The ones for my Fiero and one of my C4 vettes were identical...so if it can keep a 350 V8 cool, it should have no problem in any Fiero. All mine easily kept 160* temp no matter how hot it was outside.
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2014 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put a Champion in my '85 GT w/3.4 hybrid and it works great.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2014 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It could also be that the tube from the neck is cracked, any good rad shop would be able to re-solder it without even removing it from the car.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2014 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2014 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If their pressure tester is sealing on the rad, your cap should too.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depending catalog use... Number listed could be non-vent, vented, or both types. Non-vent is correct.
See my Cave, Radiator Caps

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure the cap is Not "Touching" the hood rail when the hood is shut. I had that problem after I installed a new radiator, (a matter of about 1/8". had to cut a spot into the rail to relieve the pressure on the cap )
PFF
System Bot
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also say go with the champion radiator. I have one in my built 3.4 fiero and the temp wont go above 160 until I am stopped for like 30 mins

Here is one on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-R...em2ed2364782&vxp=mtr
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can have problems using 3 core on 2.5l engine.

Most times the duke doesn't generate heat to make problems on OE rad.

You can use too much radiator for given engine and weather making the issue very hard to predict.
If you cool too much, the engine gets problems cause slow to warm up or act like always trying to warmup. This can hurt MPG and Power.
OE type Tstant will flood the engine w/ cold water. You often get see that happening on temp meter on the dash.
When system is working right using a OE rad and driving in cold to freezing weather the temp will climb fast when Tstat is close. Tstat open and engine temp crashes. Each Cycle can be seconds to a 2-5 minutes depending weather etc.
The giant radiators on big trucks are close off by covers over the grill etc in winter for this reason.

Stant SuperStant helps stabilize engine temp w/ OE rad but adding more cooling area on the rad then that might not help many 2.5 and some others.

----

On topic...
Warning: Bad seal of tube cause by weak/damage clamp on either end or Damage to overflow outlet itself often behaves as a bad cap or area on rad meets the cap.
I have Aftermarket rad w/ "flat" area on overflow outlet that fail to seal w/o carefully adjusting small worm screw type clamp. Small size for them makes "flat" area at the screw and when the two areas meet the hose can seal.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2014 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the problem I had with the "cap touching the hood" when it was shut, was with the Champion radiator. it's just a shade taller than stock. check the clearance.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock