Loss of power, fuel regulator/pump by failsatheals
Started on: 12-20-2014 11:38 PM
Replies: 3 (103 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 12-21-2014 09:53 PM
failsatheals

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2014 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for failsathealsSend a Private Message to failsathealsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased an 86 gt that had said been sitting. When i test drove it it started right up and gave no problems. I drove it 2 and half hours home with no problems. The next day i started to experience problems similiar to that of a pick up coil. I get a mew distributor and timed the car to 10 degrees and it idles and seems to be doing great. It is still shpwing the loss of power as before. Especially when you get on it like a loss of fuel pressure. The filter is good so next im questioning the regulator or the pump. I dont want to take the regulator apart if i dont have to. Is there a way to test it? I have the i take off and the boot looks good to the regulator and there is no fuel inside the boot. The relay to the fuel pump is new and i know is working. Any suggestions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

Test the fuel pressure with the Schrader valve on the end of the fuel rail... it should read about 40 pounds (pump on...engine off..). if you don't have a gauge.....push the valve pin and watch for fuel hitting the bottom side of your trunk lid......precautions are needed with this test, however...
failsatheals

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for failsathealsSend a Private Message to failsathealsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was getting that though. Could the pump just be weak? But it would be more of a vaccuum problem cause its not all the the time. I dont have access to a guage so its kinda hard fir me to check the specifics. I dont want to teplace the pump if i dint have to.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd go for the fuel filter first. It could be that rust in the tank got stirred up and clogged the filter. I had a club member's car suffering the same symptoms, except that once it started with the loss of power, it was constant right from startup. When I disconnected the line from the engine side of the filter, there was only a little fuel dripped from the line. When I disconnected the line from the tank side, it blew out all over me because of all the back pressure. My face was covered with brown gasoline and I dumped all kinds of brown powder out of the filter. A new filter solved the loss of power problem.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock