Started on: 12-20-2014 04:01 PM
Replies: 21 (496 views)
Last post by: Arns85GT on 12-26-2014 09:35 AM
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2014 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been working on my cluster to retro fit LED peanut lights. (They are brighter and use less juice)

During the process I did something to the membrane which has caused my right flasher indicator light to not work.

I've checked the bulb, and it works, but there is no juice to the ribbon contacts.

Does anyone know how to trouble shoot this?

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NW-Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2014 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found that the LEDs and the flasher do not work well together. I put the reg lights in and the flasher worked OK... You may need to replace flasher with an electronic version.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/000417.html

------------------
Mark
' 85 2m6 3.4PR
In the Great Northwest!

[This message has been edited by NW-Fiero (edited 12-20-2014).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2014 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use a volt meter and check that copper strip for continuity. If none, fix, replace or jump that connection.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2014 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is the issue. I have no conductivity and I don't know how to repair the ribbon. The flasher unit is not the issue on display bulbs. When I change the signal/brake lights over I'll be using an LED timer. In the meanwhile, I need to know the repair for the ribbon.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:
I've been working on my cluster to retro fit LED peanut lights. (They are brighter and use less juice)

Brighter lights in the dash can cause bigger problem to drive at night.
Dim dash is often dimmer circuit problems. See my Cave, Dash Dimmer

OE Dash Dimmer isn't made for LED. Can have problem because of that fact.
Most LEDs are not make to work on dimmers in old cars. LED at home often won't work on normal dimmers and ones that do uses different electronics to regulate power to LED.

LED for alt light can cause the alt itself to fail to turn on.

Saving power?
  • 194 bulb draws ~0.27a each
  • On idiot lights and turn lamps that are normally off? Bulb off draws no power.
  • Dash use 6 lamps to light gauges... Total is ~1.6a at full bright.
    Most people will put dimmer near the middle of range and mean bulbs use less power.

The only place where LED save power is park/tail lights and headlights because there on full time. Brake/turn lights draw more power but their off most of time and doesn't affect MPG. If you see problems using brake lights, you likely have other big issues like bad grounds or iffy alternator/battery.

------------------
    Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
    (Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

• IP: Logged
    Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Thanks for the explanation Ogre. All the lights were working perfectly with the LED peanuts and this one blipped out the last time I had the display apart. I've had the pod out for work on it 4 times.

So I am trying to figure out how to repair or service the ribbon connector.

As for the brightness, I have not found the more up to date brightness to be a difficulty at all. There just isn't enough light display to bother my eyes at night and in gloomy conditions it is a help. It looks far nicer.

So back to repairing and servicing the ribbon connecitons if anyone knows how.

Arn
    theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    try replacing black socket.
    The contacts can crack making bad connection(s).
    jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Find the break, solder, or use a jumper wire. You could also look for solder glue, which is basically a conductive glue/epoxy.

Have you found the problem spot in the copper trace? You need to find the location of the problem, that would help us tell you how to fix it.
    Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Thanks for the tips. I'll run some more tests tomorrow. I did not know about conductive glue, so I'll use that as the next step if it isn't the black plug.
    jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Where is the break in the copper trace? The epoxy may not be cheap... it may be cheaper to just replace the entire ribbon unit.
    Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    At this point I am not certain. One of the tines got crimped over for some reason and I straightened it out, but I have to take it apart again to test them.

The pic I posted is of my spare, but the spare has a bad one too. Who is selling replacements?

Arn
    PFF
    System Bot
    phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
    Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Thanks, he doesn't ship to Canada, but at least I know what the product is to ask for now.
    phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
    Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    I haven't tried it but it seems like the fix to me.
    Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
    Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    I have a complete rear cluster it was working fine before I removed the gauges ..cost is freebee You pay shipping ...just PM me your smail mail addy
    Regards And Merry Christmas

Danyel

------------------

My Build Thread
    Tylers Toy

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 12-21-2014).]

Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Danyel

6087 posts
    Member since Sep 2008
    One complete rear cluster bezel headin your way tomorrow ....
    regards
    Danyel

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 12-21-2014).]

Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2014 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Tracking link sent !!!
    regards
    Danyel
    Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400824335311?lpid=82

I was just over to the dealership and they tell me that the repair stuff for the frost grid also works.

I was going to work on it yesterday, and today, but Christmas is encroaching on my time. I guess it will have to wait until after the holiday.

Thanks to Danyel, I have a replacement on the way so I'm covered. Whew....

Arn
    theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    The paints can work but many times is only a temp fix for this use.
    Dash and rest of interior can reach 160-200°F easy when sun is out.
    Plastics can grow more when you heat up the parts. Window Glass gets hot but grows less then many plastics.
    Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    There were at least 2 types. One that I bought was the cheaper item, being under $20 for nickel alloy powder in the medium. The more expensive stuff was $75 and it was a 2 part epoxy, with copper powder. I expect the epoxy was the better choice but I didn't spring for it.

There is also a product for repairing anti-fog window grills. I don't know if it is epoxy but it is meant to deal with heat and cold.

Any thoughts on which product to use?

Arn
    Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2014 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Hello Arn
    Travking shows you've received the item.... let me know if it solved your issue.
    Regards
    Danyel
    PFF
    System Bot
    Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2014 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Yes it arrived Christmas eve as I recall. I can't get to the job until Monday, but thanks for the help. It will come in very handy.

Big job swapping it out so I have to have a free day.

Thanks again

Arn

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
    PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
    Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock