Shorting the front bump stop? by notwohorns
Started on: 12-18-2014 07:25 AM
Replies: 9 (631 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 12-27-2014 04:11 PM
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know if the front bump stop has to be shorten if 1 1/2 coils is cut from the front spring?
Thanks

[This message has been edited by notwohorns (edited 12-18-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any reduction in ride height, will reduce the distance before you hit the bump stops. How often you will hit the bump stops is dependent on spring rates, shocks, local road conditions, driving style, and several other factors - so what some people are OK with, others will not be.

By trimming the bump stops you gain back some of this lost suspension travel and the car will ride better.
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to shorten mine 1" when I took out 1 coil. I hit the stops so hard it knocked my mirror off. Of course I live in Michigan so the roads here are so bad that you need a lifted truck to drive on them, so yours might be different.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notwohorns:

Does anyone know if the front bump stop has to be shorten if 1 1/2 coils is cut from the front spring?

I'd have to say Yes.

It's a fair amount of work to do it properly on '84-'87 Fieros (requires cutting and welding), but the 88's are very simple to do. Fieroguru's posts on this are great.

EDIT: Just realized this was post number 20,000 for me here.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-18-2014).]

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have a welder and a cut off wheel it's not to bad. The hardest part is taking the suspension apart. I used a piece of 1" masking tape to mark the cut and just sliced it on both sides. Then just weld it back in. Took about 4hrs to do both sides.
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2014 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay guys, Thanks. I'll be trimming mine
Inferno

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2014 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have to do this with the Eibach's?
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2014 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I'd have to say Yes.

It's a fair amount of work to do it properly on '84-'87 Fieros (requires cutting and welding), but the 88's are very simple to do. Fieroguru's posts on this are great.

Properly? Pfft. I was lazy, and didn't do it properly. I've had no troubles.... Roads are pretty good around here, though. I'd recommend doing it properly, it just wasn't for me at the time.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Naaaaaa....see sawsall......
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

Properly? Pfft. I was lazy, and didn't do it properly. I've had no troubles.... Roads are pretty good around here, though. I'd recommend doing it properly, it just wasn't for me at the time.

Several years ago when I cut the springs on my '84, I didn't shorten the front bump stops and I thought the car was fine. The ride was a little stiff, but I didn't mind. It wasn't until I started autocrossing the Fiero that I realized something was wrong. I noticed the front of the car was sort of "skittering" around the corners. It reminded me of a stone being skipped across a body of calm water. Upon closer inspection, it turned out that my lowered front suspension was sitting right on the bump stops. The only "give" was the rubber pads on the bump stops being squished a bit more while going over bumps.

Once the surgery was done to the metal cones of the front bump stops, it made a world of difference with how the car felt... especially at autocross.

I'm just happy that shortening the front bump stops on an '88 is so much simpler to do, now that I drive my lowered Formula at the track.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock