Fiero Hauler - Trailblazer trouble 7E8 and 7EA engine codes by Mark A. Klein
Started on: 12-17-2014 08:55 AM
Replies: 10 (2279 views)
Last post by: BrewCheese on 12-18-2014 07:08 PM
Mark A. Klein

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys, I just bought a new Fiero Hauler - in effect a 2008 Trailblazer with 106000 miles it is a 4X4 standard inline 6. Driving it home late at night in the rain..... The check engine light comes on. O'Reilly's say that their scanner will not connect?!?! After I got home my Cheapo Harbor Freight scanner picks up 7E8 and 7EA codes. I cleared them - but it will only clear with the engine running? The codes go off again about every 24 hours. I checked the internet and saw that this is not completely uncommon - but no one has posted a cure. Since my wife will need to drive it - I need to get this fixed. (woman thing - No check engine lights allowed) Any ideas? If I don't get this thing cleared soon - My Fiero will loose his garage space... I do have another question also - Do those chips to improve gas mileage work? This thing needs some help...

Thanks!
Mark
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not really a Fiero technical issue....

But...
http://www.chevyhhr.net/for...trouble-codes-41037/

could be a cat. failure BUT I would try another code reader ...
n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What gas mileage are you getting?
The vast majority of 'fuel mileage' improving devices are gimmicks and a waste of time and money.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by n7vrz:

What gas mileage are you getting?
The vast majority of 'fuel mileage' improving devices are gimmicks and a waste of time and money.

Oh yeah... this is true.

Back to MPG..... could be that you need new O2 sensors, or a general tune up.
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
can you get any "P" codes with the scanner

dan
ennored

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ennoredSend a Private Message to ennoredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right, you need the P codes. 7E8 and 7EA are just CAN message IDs, they don't mean anything by themselves.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-17-2014 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seems they are menu items on that scanner, possibly. http://www.fixya.com/cars/t...gine_code_7e8_engine describes that you may need to select those "codes" on the scanner to actually see the real codes.

But as previously stated, a leak in the exhaust near the cat and O2 sensors could cause codes to pop up that set the MIL, and could also thus cause reduced efficiency and lower MPG.
Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone. The OReilly's Scanner did not work at all. It did not read them. I don't seem to have any exhaust leaks of any kind. It also seems to run very well. Could be an O2 sensor though. Thanks again!
Mark

n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You still haven't told us what mileage you're getting so we can address that if necessary.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mark A. Klein:

Thanks everyone. The OReilly's Scanner did not work at all. It did not read them. I don't seem to have any exhaust leaks of any kind. It also seems to run very well. Could be an O2 sensor though. Thanks again!
Mark

Head over to Advance Auto or Autozone and try their scanner.
BrewCheese

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If scanners are not working you need to check to make sure you have power to the port. Don't know about your truck but most GM vehicles use the cigarette lighter circuit for the power so check your fuse if its not working.

Jason
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock