coolant disappeared by busa_powered
Started on: 12-15-2014 03:29 PM
Replies: 9 (191 views)
Last post by: theogre on 12-16-2014 02:07 PM
busa_powered

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I had the radiator replaced, coolant resovoir replaced, tightened all the hoses and clamps.

I am no longer leaking coolant, but I checked it on a whim this morning and my tank is almost bone dry, minus some dirty coolant which I assume is backwash from the heater core.

I havent noticed any white smoke coming from exhaust, only when its been cool outside. Nothing I thought was excessive. Never smelled coolant.

I assume its going in the engine somewhere just not sure where.

My 87 GT has 94k miles, so I would hope it wouldnt be a head gasket.

I am thinking intake gasket, but I could be wrong about that too.

Anyone else experience anything like this and what was your issue.

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by busa_powered:

my tank is almost bone dry

Don't let it get empty, otherwise air will be sucked into the system and you'll have more problems (assuming the cooling system was properly burped when the earlier work was done).

Fill the reservoir up to the correct level with coolant and monitor what happens over the next few driving sessions.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-15-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-15-2014 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only two places it can go are in the engine, or on the ground. If you have no puddles and it's leaking very slowly, it could be leaking onto some part of the frame or such, and evaporating such that you would never know if you didn't find the exact spot it was happening, as it wouldn't leave a puddle.

When did you last check the oil? If intake gasket is leaking then down the lifter valley or into the combustion chamber would be most likely places for it to be going.

Fill it up. Do you get bubbling in the overflow tank once the engine warms up? If so, most likely head gasket.

My 87 GT has only about 95K miles on it, and the head gasket went on it.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can ALSO be being pumped "out the tailpipe" if something cracked or a gasket let go.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a similar issues.

Get a few pieces of cardboard and put them underneath the car. Park in the same spot and check the cardboard to see if it is wet or damp.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will check the oil here in a bit, still at work

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-16-2014 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Can ALSO be being pumped "out the tailpipe" if something cracked or a gasket let go.

If you get a crack in the head where coolant gets dumped directly into the exhaust stream through the valve pocket, and doesn't make it into the combustion chamber, you are definitely going to smell coolant in the exhaust.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2014 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It could be that the system wasnt completely burped after the repairs.
Refill the overflow tank and monitor.
You may not have any problem.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2014 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I was thinking this too.
Also make sure your radiator cap is the "non vented" style.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2014 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Even If you "burp" the radiator, heater core, even stock engines, still has air until engine goes thru 1 to several heat cycles.

many methods of "burping" Fiero coolant system and most are bs.
If you fill right and all seals, clamps, etc, are good... The coolant system will get rid of the rest air by itself.
Yes, that could empty overflow tank if system has allot of air left to purge.

See my Cave, Coolant Fill
You don't need all of air out but only to make sure lower Tstant is covered so Tstant and sensors/senders read coolant temp.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock