Getrag to 4T60 swap by Hulk
Started on: 12-15-2014 12:44 AM
Replies: 14 (331 views)
Last post by: 86soon3.4 on 12-16-2014 10:31 PM
Hulk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HulkSend a Private Message to HulkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I live in Benton Harbor, extreme southwest of Michigan.

My phone (in hexadecimal) is 82eed7bb. Google a hex to decimal converter to get my number, and you can call or text me. Yes, I am very in touch with my inner geek.

I have an 86 V6 SE, with Getrag 5 speed. My wife hates the manual, so I want to make it an auto. I don't have a lot of money or time, so I'd like to go with the 85-90 4T60. I've been searching the internet and this forum, but I have questions about axles, shifter and cable, etc.

I need to minimize down time, so does anyone have an auto they would trade me for my Getrag (complete setup for complete setup)? Mine appears to be working great, the select cable is a new Rodney Dickman piece.

If anyone can help with parts, ideas or info, I would greatly appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by Hulk (edited 12-15-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86soon3.4

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Want to trade? I have one in my car and want a 5 speed.

Steve
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where do you live?
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may well be better off trading cars with someone (assuming you can find someone willing with an equal condition car). There is quite a lot involved in the swap. It has been done quite a few times and you should be able to find some threads detailing it, but I think it will cost more than the effort is worth especially if you are on a tight budget. The transmission is relatively easy to find, so if you can find a very cheap Fiero donor car that would help dramatically.
Hulk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HulkSend a Private Message to HulkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

You may well be better off trading cars with someone...

You are correct. I am really good with cars, but I am intimately familiar with Fieros, and all the great resources like this board. So it would have to be a Fiero, although I would swap cars with a FWD small to mid-size car, depending on model and condition. Maybe I should put that proposal in the mall...

Hulk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HulkSend a Private Message to HulkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hulk

615 posts
Member since Oct 2004

Originally posted by 86soon3.4:

Want to trade? I have one in my car and want a 5 speed.

Steve

Trade transmissions, or cars? I'm looking for a 4spd auto, is yours the Fiero 3apd? We can still talk. I'll update the op with my number.
Hulk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HulkSend a Private Message to HulkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hulk

615 posts
Member since Oct 2004

Originally posted by hercimer01:

Where do you live?

Benton Harbor, MI. (SW). On the right hand palm map, I would be on the edge of your palm, by your wrist. I'll update the OP.
86soon3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 4t60 in a Fiero currently.

Steve
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hulk / 86soon3.4,

How about you both post some pics of the two cars...that way we can see if it is a fair trade

(Seriously though, if they're of equal condition, then this would be the perfect situation for you both. It would definitely save you (Hulk) a ton of money!)

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 12-15-2014).]

86soon3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not trading cars...just the tranny and clutch stuff.

Steve
Hulk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HulkSend a Private Message to HulkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am not trading cars...just the tranny and clutch stuff.

Steve

What time frame are you looking at? And where would we meet to exchange parts? I'm think the swaps would go easy for both of us, considering they're both already in Fieros.

Which 4T60 do you have? Year and car? What's the final drive? It's not the 4t60-E, is it?
PFF
System Bot
86soon3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am in no hurry. My car is in storage. It's out of a 92 Grand Prix. I don't know the gear ratio. The GP had a 3.1 in it. The tranny has been rebuilt. Probably has 6-8k miles on it. The tranny is currently in my 86 behind a 3800sc. Yes that's right a 3800sc. It is a non electric 4T60. I don't drive it much.

Steve

Originally posted by Hulk:

What time frame are you looking at? And where would we meet to exchange parts? I'm think the swaps would go easy for both of us, considering they're both already in Fieros.

Which 4T60 do you have? Year and car? What's the final drive? It's not the 4t60-E, is it?

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2014 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If this works out I may do the same thing. I really would like to swap my 5 spd getrag for a 4T60 too.

------------------

Hulk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HulkSend a Private Message to HulkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am in no hurry. My car is in storage. It's out of a 92 Grand Prix. I don't know the gear ratio. The GP had a 3.1 in it. The tranny has been rebuilt. Probably has 6-8k miles on it. The tranny is currently in my 86 behind a 3800sc. Yes that's right a 3800sc. It is a non electric 4T60. I don't drive it much.

Steve

You have a PM.
86soon3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2014 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have 2 p.m.s Hulk.

Steve

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock