88 brake caliper alternatives by Knight
Started on: 12-14-2014 05:13 PM
Replies: 17 (1252 views)
Last post by: Knight on 12-25-2014 06:36 PM
Knight

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2014 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody know if I can replace 88 rear calipers with a bigger piston caliper? And if so, where would I get it?
I know the 84-87 use "GM Metric" or commonly called d156 calipers, IIRC. Is there a size designation for the 88 calipers?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Zeak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2014 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeakSend a Private Message to ZeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 brakes where pretty good stock. Some people just get slotted/ drilled rotors and better quality pads.
I bought 2 new sets of 88 front calipers. You lose the E-brake by running them on the rear, but I don't trust them. Mine started dragging my second day owning the car and almost caught on fire.

On a related note. Ogre's cave has a lot of great info for such things.
Click
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why do you want larger caliper pistons in the rear?
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2014 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
getting an 88 with a 88 swap. Car has standard front suspension, so I worry about brake balance. Can't afford 12 corvette upgrade. have a full front "cradle" with held drop spindles and lebaron brake upgrade. Want larger pistons on the rear 88 10.43 Inch rear to get better balance.
Lebaron : 11.26 inch with 2 3/8 or 2.5 inch caliper
88 : 10.43 inch with 2-ish inch caliper pistons. caliper is even set 0.18 inch from disk edge making it effectively smaller.
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2014 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I swapped my rear calipers on my 88 coupe with front ones and it worked great. It made replcing the pads awesome.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap
12.840@104.8 MPH Intense-Racing 1.9 rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.4 pulley, ZZP tune and 18 year old tires.

88 Coupe under construction SOLD

88 formula 3.4L 4t60 swap SOLD

GodSend

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Knight:

getting an 88 with a 88 swap.

I have this same swap! Original purchaser of the car got the Pontiac factory into doing this for FREE in 1988. I thought I was the only one.
FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GodSend:

I have this same swap! I thought I was the only one.

It's not that uncommon. I've seen a bunch of them. They only offered that choice for one year though.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FTF Engineering:

It's not that uncommon. I've seen a bunch of them. They only offered that choice for one year though.

I've got an '88. How can I tell if the swap has been done?
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used front calipers on the rear of my 88 coupe (auto tranny).
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone was selling adapters that allowed you to use Corvette rotors with the stock calipers (I know Rockcrawl did at one point as I have those (but he has fallen off the edge of the planet), but there was someone else. Bolt these on with redrilled Corvette rotors and you are done.

Also sounds like you have a non-88 front end that you want to swap in - you know, most people go the other way to have the 88 suspension. That being said, I am sure you will have no problem selling the stock 88 front suspension setup.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 12-18-2014).]

FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

I've got an '88. How can I tell if the swap has been done?

Hmmmm... Interesting question.

I believe you can tell from the VIN. If digit 10 of the VIN is a "J", then the swap should have been done.
PFF
System Bot
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FTF Engineering:

Hmmmm... Interesting question.

I believe you can tell from the VIN. If digit 10 of the VIN is a "J", then the swap should have been done.

What if I have an 88 that wasn't orinally bought in my state but out of state?

The PO said it was .....
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2014 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sorry. Let me clarify. I am getting a second Fiero. It's an 86 1/2 GT with the 88 rear cradle upgrade. In my garage I have the front crossmember from yet another 86 Fiero that had the held drop spindles and Lebaron brake upgrade.
I would put the extra front crossmember with drop spindles and Lebaron brakes on the GT, but only if I could use larger calipers with the std 88 rear brake discs and cradle.
Right now the GT has it's original 84-87 style front suspension and brakes AND a 88 rear cradle swap with 88 stock rear brakes.
Problem is that if I swap in the Lebaron/Held upgraded front end, then that's WAY too much front brake. Only option is a replace the rear caliper with a bigger piston caliper or find brackets to do a Lebaron rear 88 upgrade
FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2014 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gotcha. Another option might to be to use the 88 rear calipers as is and use an adjustable bias regulator instead?
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If i were to do the Lebaron upgrade, I would need to increase rear line pressure. I thought the prportioning valve only worked to decrease pressure. I read somewhere to not ever place an adjustable proportioning valve on the front brake line.
So, unless thats wrong:
1) use a different reverse the lines if the master cylinder sends more fluid to the front brakes than the rear
2) sleeve the front chamber and use a smaller piston
3) bore out the rear chamber and use a larger piston
4) both 2 & 3
5) add a second tandem single chamber master cylinder to feed just the back brakes with and adjustable tandem arm to fine tune the amount of fluid the tandem MC pushes
6) Make cailper adapter brackets to do a Lebaron swap on the rear. (Has anyone done this and if so, any diagrams for the brackets?
7) do 6 but use 88 brake calipers (Has anyone done this?)
If I had my choice, for now, I would do 7 because I would retain close to original brake bias even using a 84-87 MC instead of a 88 MC. And i can upgrade to a 12 inch kit later. Plus, the held front drop spindles complicates an upgrade of the front discs. I will need to get purchase the brackets from Arraut Motorsports and could end up being quite expensive.
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At this time i am working on a bracket that will allow you to bolt on Grand am front calipers to the 88 rear knuckle. You will retain the 88 rear rotor but loose the parking brake feature. I'm doing this for my chumpcar build which is an 85 GT with the 88 rear cradle. Using the grand am swap brakes in the front and back will keep the brake balance. I also found that the 88 rear rotor is slightly larger diameter than the grand am rotor by 3/4 of an inch. If there is an interest in these brackets I might produce some. I would like to at least test them under race conditions to verify they are safe and sturdy.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Knight:
6) Make cailper adapter brackets to do a Lebaron swap on the rear. (Has anyone done this and if so, any diagrams for the brackets?
7) do 6 but use 88 brake calipers (Has anyone done this?)
If I had my choice, for now, I would do 7 because I would retain close to original brake bias even using a 84-87 MC instead of a 88 MC.

Yes, Mark A. Klein has done a Lebaron upgrade on an 88 using 88 calipers with bridge spacers.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/127534-2.html
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2014 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Fieroguru. Since I already have all the parts except the adapters for the rear 88 swap, this will be a whole lot cheaper than going to 12 inch brakes, especially since I have original rims.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock