Theft Lock radio question/issue. by mental floss
Started on: 12-13-2014 03:38 PM
Replies: 10 (228 views)
Last post by: mental floss on 12-22-2014 11:32 PM
mental floss

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I picked up a GM 7 band CD radio from a yard out of a 2000 marked car. The online diagram for a 2000 says BLACK is GROUND. 2001 says BLACK/WHITE is ground. I found out later that this is a 2001 radio. Thinking it was a 2000 (and with poor eyesight in fair lighting) I connected the DARK BROWN wire (dimming for a 2001) to GROUND. 12 Volts across ORANGE and BROWN.

So after finding that BLACK/WHITE is GROUND for a 2001 I connected it that way and this does not light up anything on the radio display showing LOC, but I hear the CD mechanism cycle when connected. If BROWN says to be dimming did I most likely fry something? No THEFT LOCK light comes on at all. A CD will insert and eject. GRAY to 12+ still lights up the back-lighting as it should. Any other steps I should take?

Thanks in advance for any help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mental floss

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2014 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update: tried it again. Pushing the RECALL feature displays the clock for a few seconds then it goes out, so the display works.
No LOCK or LOC displays. No flashing LED for theft lock either.

[This message has been edited by mental floss (edited 12-13-2014).]

Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the dark brown wire was grounded when it you have received a power connection (variable voltage through a dimmer switch) then it is unlikely you would hurt anything. On the other hand, damage can happen when you put 12V to a connection that should be grounded.
mental floss

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2014 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I grounded it. No positive voltage applied. The clock is keeping time. I can push display and it lights up for a few seconds, and there are no other functions. To be accurate I have the GRAY and ORANGE to 12V+ adn the BLACK/WHITE to GROUND and the backlighting is lit up constantly. I push the RECALL function and it displays time.

This is the wiring diagram for that year. I don't have a PINK wire. I have BROWN and

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Stereo Wiring Information

Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Radio Ground Wire: Black/White
Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
Stereo Dimmer Wire: Brown
Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: Pink
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mental floss:

Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Radio Ground Wire: Black/White
Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
Stereo Dimmer Wire: Brown
Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: Pink

What do you have each of the wires above connected to? (You also say you don't have a pink wire...are you sure you have the correct wiring diagram?) Do you have any other wires that aren't listed in your wiring diagram? (I'm ignoring all of the speaker wires)
mental floss

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2014 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This radio came with a 30 day warranty, but I'd hate to trash one with all working lights if there's a fix. They just trash them when returned. I'll give it a few days before I take it back to see if someone can help.

Originally posted by Neils88:

What do you have each of the wires above connected to? (You also say you don't have a pink wire...are you sure you have the correct wiring diagram?) Do you have any other wires that aren't listed in your wiring diagram? (I'm ignoring all of the speaker wires)

That is the closest match for my radio. The 2000 diagram doesn't list a BLACK/WHITE for GROUND like mine has. But it also lists a PINK.
The ink stamp says JAN 2000. Printed on an ID is 2001. There are 14 wires total.

I have connected:
ORANGE 12V+
GRAY 12V+
BLACK/WHITE to GROUND

Nothing else connected. Tested each below with volt meter and only got a reading of 2.7mV. The other wires are:
YELLOW,
BROWN,
LIGHT GREEN,

these are the assumed speakers for clarification:
another LIGHT GREEN
DARK GREEN,
DARK BLUE,
LIGHT BLUE,
(TAN, GRAY) mechanically twisted together,
(YELLOW, DRK BROWN) mechanically twisted together.

Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should put a switched 12V to the yellow wire. The brown wire likely will need to be connected to your dimmer switch as well.

Edit: The single yellow wire...not the twisted one...

2nd Edit: Make sure the orange is connected to a constant 12V supply. That's what maintains the radio memory .

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 12-13-2014).]

mental floss

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2014 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was it. It's not locked and it works as it should. Thanks!
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mental floss:

That was it. It's not locked and it works as it should. Thanks!

mental floss

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-21-2014 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EDIT FOR FINAL: The radio portion does work. The display bulb is burned out, but it's visible if you look closely. The CD player won't spin up and there's something wrong somewhere since the volume works backwards from normal. Parts radio.

==========================================================================================================

Got another problem with a similar radio. Maybe this radio doesn't work. It's pulled from either a '97 or '98 GP and is a 7 band eq, CD version like the above Grand Am 2001 unit. Similar wire colors and pin out, but not exactly. Online wiring diagram says BLACK is GND. The ground is actually Black w/White stripe like the 2001 above.

http://www.modifiedlife.com...udio-wiring-diagram/
I'm using the above for the assumed 1998 radio which is where I went for the 2001 unit.

12+ BROWN is backlighting lights and it works.
12+ ORANGE activates the CD just as the 2001.
12+ YELLOW does nothing.
12+ was attached to the GRAY due to Crutchfield's site saying it was illumination.
All 4 connected doesn't change anything. Removing the GRAY does nothing different.

EDIT: I got noise from the channels. No display. The CD goes in back kicks back out. The volume works in reverse. Clockwise turns it down.

RECALL gives no read out as with the 2001. All I've got so far is backlighting and CD activation.

[This message has been edited by mental floss (edited 12-22-2014).]

mental floss

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-22-2014 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the display bulb, which was about the easiest thing I've ever done to a car stereo. Didn't even have to turn a screw. The CD still doesn't work, but now with the display lit I can see the error code of E20 displayed. I'd like to try to clean the optic but it has the tiniest Torx head I've ever seen. Radio reception is very good, but the volume still works in reverse. Odd.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock