Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  180*headers for SBC V8 Archie Setup-Fab Shop?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
180*headers for SBC V8 Archie Setup-Fab Shop? by n_tensetuning
Started on: 12-11-2014 11:35 PM
Replies: 11 (780 views)
Last post by: ITALGT on 06-18-2015 07:39 PM
n_tensetuning

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2014 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n_tensetuningSend a Private Message to n_tensetuningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back over the summer, there was a Countach 25th Anniversary Replica for sale on Craigslist out in Indiana, (RED) that featured custom built 180 degree headers on a sbc 355 V8 archie setup. It had Borla XR-1 mufflers tied to it.

Lost contact with original seller.

Was wondering IF anyone knew about it or who built the headers?

Supposedly the car was built by Exotic Illusions-Demetrios Koroneos in PA.
Perhaps they did the headers too?

Sure would be nice to have a set of these headers for my setup.

Hope someone knows and can help
Thanks
David M
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-12-2014 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.youtube.com/use...eplicaForSale/videos

There are videos of the car you're talking about on there. I don't know if any of them state who built the headers or not. You can of course contact them and ask.

Any decent speed/customs shop that does fab work should be able to build custom headers for you though.
n_tensetuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for n_tensetuningSend a Private Message to n_tensetuningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi there

Thanks for your post.
I do not see the car among the list on the youtube link you sent.
It was a Red Lamborghini Countach 25th anniversary Replica for Sale out of Illinois... I believe it was sold for $36,000

I was hoping to track down car and then be able to find same shop as it would be the most cost effective way to get the same headers made... otherwise to start from scratch would drive costs through the roof.

D
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-12-2014 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by n_tensetuning:
Hi there

Thanks for your post.
I do not see the car among the list on the youtube link you sent.
It was a Red Lamborghini Countach 25th anniversary Replica for Sale out of Illinois... I believe it was sold for $36,000

I was hoping to track down car and then be able to find same shop as it would be the most cost effective way to get the same headers made... otherwise to start from scratch would drive costs through the roof.

D

Do you have any link to the specific car you're talking about?

180 degree headers are not new magic. The hard part of them in a Fiero, is packaging. There are no 180 degree header kits that will straight up fit into a Fiero engine bay. I would expect the cost to be the same either way. If you want some, in a Fiero, and can't make them yourself, you're going to have to pay for it. Expect to pay up to $1500 for a set.
n_tensetuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n_tensetuningSend a Private Message to n_tensetuningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally got hold of the owner of the car who provided me with the shop who fabricated them:
Paradise Road Rod & Custom
Indianapolis, IN

I found them online including detailed photos of the fab work:
Paradise Road Rod & Custom 180*headers on Fiero based Countach Replica

Spoke to owner of shop. They would be happy to make another set for me, but I would need to bring over the car. Unfortunately I am too far away for that.

Dave
n_tensetuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n_tensetuningSend a Private Message to n_tensetuningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

n_tensetuning

154 posts
Member since Dec 2008

[This message has been edited by n_tensetuning (edited 12-12-2014).]

355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A fellow over on Madmechanics did 180* headers in a Lambo Reventon replica. His user name is Lamboreplica and he just posted some close to complete picks in the Build diaries section. His thread is named 'Get ready for Reventon' or something similar. He has YouTube vids of various exhaust setups to get the sound he wanted.

Cheers
Don
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are willing to do a little trimming, notching, and tweaking, you can make a set of schoenfelds to fit like this:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000066-7.html
animal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for animalSend a Private Message to animalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't those sharp curves generate some serious heat? I would think that might not be good for the deck lid paint.
n_tensetuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n_tensetuningSend a Private Message to n_tensetuningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fieroguru

Thanks for posting ITALGT's "Sinister GT" thread post of his Schoenfeld 180 headers.

I see now the work that must be done to fit them in a stock Fiero Enginebay.
Not for the faint hearted.
Looks like the firewall needs to be notched, as well as the fiero luggage compartment removed.

Of course for the kit car guys running transverse V8's, this will work very very well.

D

[This message has been edited by n_tensetuning (edited 12-13-2014).]

ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Somehow I missed this thread when it popped up several months ago... I would have loved to contribute to the conversation. Better late than never.

When you start talking 180 degree headers, the dialog can become scientific in a hurry. Rather than diving into the science, lets talk about putting them into a V8 Fiero.

The bottom line: it's all for the sound and great low-end torque for the street.

Fieroguru played with this idea years ago, I simply continued with the concept. I am an experienced welder, but even I admit that I'm not up to the task of building 180's from scratch. I admire anyone who has the skill, tools, time and patience to build them.

After a lot of measuring and eyeballing, I came to the conclusion that the Schoenfeld 179-2's would fit with some tweaking on the Fiero... which is much easier than building these headers from scratch. That said, I don't recommend them for anyone who doesn't have some basic fabrication skills and tools. But it's more than doable if you don't mind cutting into your beloved Fiero... like me.

I am currently working out the post-collector exhaust system details. So far, I am pretty well convinced the a 2 into 1 system is going to be ideal for weight and performance considerations, but also for the ultra-wicked sound it will produce.

Radiant heat is always an issue with 180 headers, so heat insulation with be used extensively in the engine bay, deck lid and firewall accordingly. Combined with ceramic coating, fabricated heat shields and proper air circulation, this system will work just fine in the Fiero.

Questions and comments welcome... in my build thread, I tried to explain the basic steps I took to get them to fit. Up next I will be fabbing the rest of the exhaust system for a true "exotic" sound and look.

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 06-18-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ITALGT

994 posts
Member since Jan 2002
BTW... these 180 headers are beautifully made... thanks for sharing:

https://www.facebook.com/me....163984078876&type=3

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave