Replacing kick down cable 2.8 automatic by pgold
Started on: 12-10-2014 09:47 PM
Replies: 5 (118 views)
Last post by: nickwstp on 12-12-2014 03:00 AM
pgold

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2014 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pgoldClick Here to Email pgoldSend a Private Message to pgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently rebuilt my 88 GT 2.8 engine and in doing so i accidentally broke my kick down cable. The plastic was very fragile and it snapped at the top of the mount where the cable meets the base piece. I thought that i could just drive it anyway but now that i have the car back on the road the trans doesn't shift into gear at the right time that it should. Has anyone ever replaced this cable? If so is this something that can be done easily? I really don't want to screw up anything so thought i would ask first if anyone has already done this. I could see this being a common problem due to how fragile the cable is.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nickwstp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2014 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nickwstpSend a Private Message to nickwstpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is also in my future very soon so either a link to a good thread or something along those lines would be of great help!

Mine is quite frayed and the car no longer downshifts
pgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2014 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pgoldClick Here to Email pgoldSend a Private Message to pgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I rigged my cable using two pieces of hose to lock it in place. I cut a slit in a 4 inch piece of heater hose and did the same to a 3 inch piece of fuel line. I then wrapped the larger hose around the bottom of cable base and fuel line around the top of cable where it is broken. i slid the smaller hose inside the bigger hose. I then toke 5 zip ties and zip tied the hoses tightly around the base and cable making sure not to tie it in the exact place where the cable has broke. I took it for a ride and it worked. The car shifts normally again. This is obviously gonna be a temporary fix just so i can still drive the car. In looking at my 88 shop manual it looks like it may be hard to get this cable out of the transmission. Im kinda scared to do it cause i don't want to break anything. I was hoping someone else had replaced this before and could give me some good advice.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2014 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Click Here to Email css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pgold:

In looking at my 88 shop manual it looks like it may be hard to get this cable out of the transmission.

Its not hard, just a little fussy. The plastic base secures the cable sheath to the transmission but the cable inside of it attaches to a little rod or hook that goes deeper into the transmission. You need to get the cable hooked back onto it.

Note there is an adjustment procedure outlined in the service manual. I replaced my old cable because it had a bunch of melted areas on the sheathing, but I replaced it with one from the junkyard and I did not adjust it. It works fine. If you buy a new one (Rodney sells them), you'll almost certainly have to adjust it I would think.

pgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pgoldClick Here to Email pgoldSend a Private Message to pgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it adjusted internally? where can it adjusted?. I see the fiero store has them for $29 .
nickwstp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nickwstpSend a Private Message to nickwstpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is in fact a button on it you can push to adjust it. The button is on the cable right next to the throttle body. It may need some penetrating oil to get it to move though. Mine was frozen untill I gave it a big squirt of brake cleaner. You might have to undo the cable and turn the cable to find the button, mine was facing downwards and impossable to find untill I took it off.

So the other end just slides on a hook of some sort??? No taking off covers and all that?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock