Hella H4 headlights by notwohorns
Started on: 12-10-2014 02:44 PM
Replies: 8 (612 views)
Last post by: theogre on 12-13-2014 01:22 AM
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2014 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone installed the Hella H4 headlight kit? The rubber covers for the bulb and connections don't fit on mine. I was wondering if anybody else had that problem.
Thanks

[This message has been edited by notwohorns (edited 12-10-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mike-ohio

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2014 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mike-ohioClick Here to visit mike-ohio's HomePageSend a Private Message to mike-ohioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the Hella H4 headlights with 100W bulbs and they work great.

The rubber seal does fit over the connectors but does not seal to the back of the housings very well.

I never worried about it and they have been in the car 9 years working fine.

It is a daily driver that has seen many snowstorms without any headlight issues.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2014 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ignoring H4 are illegal in many states...

Higher watt bulbs can cause switches and wire problems, like the Old OE HL main and dimmer switches can burn out even use w/ SilverStar etc H6054 bulbs.

See my Cave, Headlights

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2014 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the Hella H4 kit (ECE compliant) - as I understand it, although its not DOT approved, it has a tighter beam pattern than DOT requires and produces less glare.

I wasn't able to get the rubber boot over mine either but haven't had any issues in the past 2 years of running them. Bulbs haven't blown out or anything. IMO, these things produce great visibility with stock wattage bulbs, the optics are obviously much better than a sealed beam, no need for 100 watt bulbs.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2014 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want replaceable bulbs...
HB2 housings and 9003 bulbs are DOT tested. HB2 housing have same aiming points as H6054. Most H4 housings don't.
Example: Truck-Lite Manufacturing P/N 27009
see Nice Looking Bolt In Headlight Upgrade for $29.00

A big problem is that Many current H4054 and 9003 (Sold under SilverStar, XtraVision and Many other brands) are max wattage (65/55 watts) allowed by USDOT. Factory bulbs are Halogen but only 35 watts each for low beam.
As said above and in my cave... That can, likely will, cause problems in old cars.

If replacing "dim" bulbs then note that many things can cause dim lights. Hotter bulbs can make problems much worse in the very near future. Example: I had to replace the dimmer/beam switch because getting weak connection and making more resistance... Even 35w low beam make the switch hot and the plastic body was starting to cook.
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2014 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a pair of DOT approved Hella H4s on my car. I am running the stock bulbs (I forget it's either 35W or 45W). I did not have any troubles with the rubber boot on the back, but I do have an 88. It all went together without any modification to any components.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:
I have a pair of DOT approved Hella H4s on my car. I am running the stock bulbs (I forget it's either 35W or 45W). I did not have any troubles with the rubber boot on the back, but I do have an 88. It all went together without any modification to any components.

The spec's I have for 9003 only list 55w for low beam... Sylvania, Hella, Donsbulbs.com etc all list 9003 60-65w high and 55w low. Stock HL bulbs for Fiero is 35w low beam.

Is confusion when H4 housings and bulbs are legal to use or not.
Some H4 parts are also HB2/9003 for meeting DOT(FMVSS) rules. Both housings and bulbs must meet FMVSS rules or is not "street legal" in many states.
The housing and bulb should be labeled w/ HB2 etc too. The Housing will have DOT HB2 on the front and have aiming bumps/points same as H6054.
H6054 and 9003 bulbs are legal at 65w high and 55w low. 100/55W, 100/80W, etc is only H4 bulbs and not street legal even tho will fit HB2 housings.
notwohorns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the information. That give me something to think about and for me to do a little research.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One more thing...
Many 9003 and H4 have a short life. Same issue using SilverStar and others H6054 bulbs. If you drive at night allot then expect to change them often.

Example: From Sylvania own FAQ "The average life of SilverStarĀ® headlights is approximately one year." (and that is at the bottom of faq.)
Sylvania 9003 Most are 150 hr low beam, 50 hr high beam. Only EcoBright and Standard gets better lifetime.
That is advertize lifetime. You may get longer or shorter life... Read bulb life at donsbulbs and How long do headlights last? at howstuffworks
Hella and many other are in the boat. Some list Hella 9003 lamp at 175 hr life for low beam. Higher wattage have even shorter life.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock