building fiero for my wife by mrbones
Started on: 12-09-2014 10:19 AM
Replies: 32 (661 views)
Last post by: mrbones on 01-17-2015 11:57 PM
mrbones

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrbonesSend a Private Message to mrbonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi my names david, an recently became an addict. I sold my trans am an bought 2 fieros, one was suppose to be a parts car an the other a daily driver. Now before I go on both cars are gts, an my parts car is complete an running doesnt have a title an has a head leak( looks to me someone filled it full of water an let it freeze up).so after a thousand miles on my daily driver an a cradle swap I found a titled carcus to swap everytbing from my parts car. Well dont you know my wife decides she wants to build it with me for her.
here goes my question I plan on doing an engine swap in both cars been debating on which motor to put in hers. Been thinking between the 4.9 cady or the 3800. Either way im gonna do both swaps. Hers is gonna be a 4 speed an mine an automatic
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hard to beat the 3800. I've had 4 cars with that engine still own one with 318,000 mis. and the engine still runs like new. However the MI winters are starting to get the best of the rest of the car. Never had engine troubles with any of them, however one did have a coil pack go bad once.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum! Has your wife driven a stick-shift Fiero? My wife can't drive mine....can't reach the clutch pedal.......
mrbones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrbonesSend a Private Message to mrbonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea she can reach
Ive been reading different forums on both motors seem pretty close as far as dependability an horsepower stock. Im also wondering if were both cruising around that she cant just run off an leave me.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think that's a great idea to have her help build up the Fiero with you. I love my 4.9. It's a great bullet proof swap. Obviously the 3800sc is always going to be a fantastic car to have in the garage too. Driving style will probably dictate who gets what. The 4.9 has better front end acceleration, while the 3800sc will have the higher top speed. The 3800sc also has lots more possibilities down the line if you want to keep the build going. 4.9 turbos and superchargers have been done, but much less info and you are probably going to be limited to around 7-8 psi boost safely. The lack of info means you could be trailblazing by yourself at some points. Having said that, I think the 4.9 is also better suited for the automatic of the two. If you want to run it standard then add a custom flywheel to the parts list ($275 shipped from LSC Performance). 3800sc's came with standards so it's an easier place to start.

How mechanically inclined is your wife? ..."willing to learn" is the main criteria. Having her help will make the swap much more fun, and she'll appreciate it more. I'm planning on eventually doing one up for my wife, but other than picking the colour I won't be expecting too much help from her, lol.
mrbones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrbonesSend a Private Message to mrbonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea shes willing to learn. at times its flustrating usually I go off into my own little world, im kinda militant minded when it comes to working on my cars. Ive had her help me ounce before pull a motor on a monte carlo. Then pull a motor on an el camino an put it in the monte.
The newest car kind of inspired the colors for both cars. Its yellow with black trim an the interior is black with yellow trim( not original paint). So im gonna paint it black with yellow trim to match interior. An mines gonna be black with grabber green trim.
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2014 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to win and side by side put the 3.8sc in yours and the 4.9 in hers.... Put the standard on the 3.8sc and do the auto with the 4.9... Both will be blast for different reasons... Enjoy..

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2014 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on such a great wife who wants to build cars with you
IROCTAFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2014 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCTAFIEROSend a Private Message to IROCTAFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no 3800 stick cars factory

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2014 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrbones:

The newest car kind of inspired the colors for both cars. Its yellow with black trim an the interior is black with yellow trim( not original paint). So im gonna paint it black with yellow trim to match interior. ....

I liked the Black/Yellow combination as well...I think they look pretty sharp together...

mrbones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2014 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrbonesSend a Private Message to mrbonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

I liked the Black/Yellow combination as well...I think they look pretty sharp together...

PFF
System Bot
mrbones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2014 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrbonesSend a Private Message to mrbonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mrbones

16 posts
Member since Dec 2014
Sry about that I meant to write with that. Great looking motor
mrbones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2014 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrbonesSend a Private Message to mrbonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mrbones

16 posts
Member since Dec 2014
I think im leaning toward the 4.9 in hers with a 4 speed. What clutch would be best suited?
mrbones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrbonesSend a Private Message to mrbonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would it be easier to swap interior harness from my manual to my automatic? I know there's a difference in the steering column but will the automatic wire with lil modification?
nosrac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IROCTAFIERO:

no 3800 stick cars factory

1998 Camaro ! 😜
nosrac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

My vote is to use the Auto Trans that came with the 4.9 or the Auto that came with the 3800.

A modded 3800 is a beast. However, if you slap the M90 on the 4.9 it will wake that sumabeech up.

If you do go Manual then use the F23 as these torque monsters will tear up a Fiero manual trans as soon as you hammer it off the line.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think im leaning toward the 4.9 in hers with a 4 speed. What clutch would be best suited?

First let me say that most women have (2) priorities.

(1) the color
(2) automatic with A/C

That said I have the 4.9 with the 4 speed 3.65 Muncie. Mine has the HEI dizzy with a 500 cfm Holley carb. However, for a lady driver it may not be the best choice.

The 4 speed 4.9 is a torque monster. It goes like blazes but it is buzzy on the highway. It is definitely not quiet. It is a big rumbly sound. Kind of macho.

If I was doing a lady's ride, I'd find out what her favorite color is, and then throw in the 3800 with an auto tranny.

Of course if your lady likes macho, the 4.9 with Spintech mufflers will give her goose bumps.

Arn

Edit, on the clutch, try the Spec II +. It is soft to the touch and holds well due to the ceramic/kevlar combination
------------------

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 12-31-2014).]

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Arns85GT

11159 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Sorry, double post

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 12-31-2014).]

mrbones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrbonesSend a Private Message to mrbonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
She defiantly wants a manual, I couldn't talk her out of it. She grew up around loud cars. I think that's why she got with me lol.
mrbones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrbonesSend a Private Message to mrbonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mrbones

16 posts
Member since Dec 2014
We gutted the doner manual fiero today, an I was wondering am I gonna need to use the wiring harness for the interior of the manual shift in the automatic?
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't follow your question exactly but I'll give it a shot. The Manual shifter for a 4 speed has only one electrical switch and that is for the backup lights.
PFF
System Bot
mrbones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrbonesSend a Private Message to mrbonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea that's what I was wanting to know. But I thought there was something about the steering an igniting to the starter so you can't start it in gear? An I've also read something about a parking brake switch
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is an ignition interrupter switch on the clutch pedal lever. I bypassed mine.
mrbones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrbonesSend a Private Message to mrbonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After a lot of searching I've found my 4.9 doner hopefully get to pick it up this Friday an tear it down. What flywheel do I need to find? Or where can I find one?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...bought 2 fieros... my wife decides she wants to build it with me for her... Hers is gonna be a 4 speed

She defiantly wants a manual, I couldn't talk her out of it. She grew up around loud cars.

Has she got a sister?
mrbones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrbonesSend a Private Message to mrbonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol sry no she's an only child.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lol sry no she's an only child.

Uh oh, you're going to be having your hands full. She's used to getting her own way. Good luck!

mrbones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrbonesSend a Private Message to mrbonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol your right that's how I got stuck with the automatic
mrbones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrbonesSend a Private Message to mrbonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picked up my cadillac today runs good, it's a shame I'm gonna tear it apart. Ordered my flywheel so hopefully soon I can get started on putting my car together. I just wanted to say tnx for all the help so far.
What else can I reuse on the 1993 cadillac sedan deville?
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... she wants to build it with me for her.

the good news

... she wants to build it with me for her.

the bad news

... between the 4.9 cady or the 3800 ....

If she's like any woman i've ever known, i'd do whichever one i could do the quickest. Anything longer than a day or 2 and i would be nagged to death about when it would be done and how slow i was ... ;(

If anything goes wrong or she doesn't like it, blame the parts or GM ..... ("honey, that's why they don't make these cars anymore")

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 01-17-2015).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK

6638 posts
Member since Oct 2001
PS. Whatever you do, DO NOT let her see the thread about Troyboy's build for Lady Lisa ......
PFF
System Bot
mrbones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrbonesSend a Private Message to mrbonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's funny right there.. tnx for the advice
mrbones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrbonesSend a Private Message to mrbonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mrbones

16 posts
Member since Dec 2014
If I run into problems I'm gonna be like what you do women!!! If you only listened lol ..... we were watching tv the other night an she seen a commercial for i.tt tech an she ass like I'm gonna go there that way I can tell you what to do lol....

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock