Decklid Installation by ninjayogi
Started on: 12-06-2014 05:13 PM
Replies: 8 (483 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 12-07-2014 11:11 AM
ninjayogi

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2014 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjayogiSend a Private Message to ninjayogiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took off the decklid to work on the engine now I am having problems getting it back on. Are there any threads or suggestions on how to do it. I'm sure that its pretty easy, but I cannot get that pin on the back of the lid to slide in. I tried to do a search on this but the page just kept locking up. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2014 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure what pin you're referring to. To remove the deck lid all that needs to be done is unplug the wiring harness(s) going to it and remove the two bolts on either side that bolt it to the hinges. You can see the two bolts on the hinge in this photo. The lower one is partially hidden by the sail panel. The center one is the lift spring and is attached with a non-removable fastener.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 12-06-2014).]

virtuetovice

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2014 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope you didn't take the hinges off. Those springs are a Hell of a fight, because they can swing up and take out your back window...

I got mine back on with a prybar, second set of hands, and a few rolls of paper towels for window protection
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2014 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it IS the torsion spring pins, get yourself a couple of 2 x 4 cut to length to fit between each side. Like V2V says, you can take out your back window if the rods slip while you're pulling on them. You want to make sure the full area of the rear window is protected so no part of the hinge can strike the window. Even put in some plywood behind the 2 x 4's. Don't take shortcuts at protecting the rear window. I've heard of a number of persons having a pretty easy time of getting them back in by backing the car up near something solid like a power pole and latching a come-a-long to the pole and the torsion spring. Just be sure to keep body parts out of the path of the spring should it slip.
ninjayogi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2014 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjayogiSend a Private Message to ninjayogiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep that's my problem, LOL I didn't think that it look right.. Here is a picture of my situation. The bar is up so it wont let my lid down. Thank you all again for your help, I don't know what I would do without all of your advise. Well, I would probably have a broken window. Does it pry forward or backward.

[This message has been edited by ninjayogi (edited 12-07-2014).]

fgt1988

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fgt1988Send a Private Message to fgt1988Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to go through the entire uninstall and install and removing the torsion bars and re-installing them just a few days ago; got my decklid back nicely aligned - just be very careful and don't hurt yourself -- PM me if you need any additional advise and wish you best of luck ----
ninjayogi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjayogiSend a Private Message to ninjayogiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you have to remove the part that was attached to the firewall, or just the four bolts that hold the brackets.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I see in the picture looks like the pin between the firewall portion and the decklid portion was removed. It looks like it's partially installed in the picture. If you can get those pins out, you and a helper can probably manipulate the decklid to swivel and position the torsion spring properly.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ninjayogi - check your email.

You'll have to remove the decklid and correct the orientation of the torque rod to hinge connection.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-07-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave