Rod knock on cold start by SKIDMARK
Started on: 12-05-2014 03:56 PM
Replies: 7 (371 views)
Last post by: SKIDMARK on 12-30-2014 06:53 AM
SKIDMARK

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SKIDMARKSend a Private Message to SKIDMARKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the 2.8 has a slight knock when I first start it but shuts up after it starts warming up. The engine has 200K on it and I don't have the cash or time to pull & rebuild it. Do you think I can get away with dropping the pan and just changing the connecting rod bearings? I know this engine is bone stock so is it reasonable to assume the standard bearings will fit & solve the knock/extend the life of Old Betsy? Has anyone here replaced rod bearings with the engine in the car?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Toontown Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Toontown FieroSend a Private Message to Toontown FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it was a connecting rod bearing I don't think it would go away after it warms up. Maybe piston slap from cylinder wear?
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have replaced a bad rod bearing before but not on a Fiero. If the business end of the rod is egg-shaped from knocking, all bets are off, "Sort-of".
You may want to check for journal scoring. If scored all bets are off again, "Sort-of".

I once found myself in a pinch such as yours and an old -schooler told me about a trick fix. Find a worn out leather belt and soak it in some oil. Cut a length of belt equal to the circumference of a rod bearing. Poke oiler holes in the appropriate places and put the leather bearing in place.

When you fire it up the expression on your face will be priceless!

No,,,,,,,,,,,, I wouldn't advise replacing the remaining 5.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 307
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toontown Fiero:
If it was a connecting rod bearing I don't think it would go away after it warms up. Maybe piston slap from cylinder wear?

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 443
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 04:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

I once found myself in a pinch such as yours and an old -schooler told me about a trick fix. Find a worn out leather belt and soak it in some oil. Cut a length of belt equal to the circumference of a rod bearing. Poke oiler holes in the appropriate places and put the leather bearing in place.

And I suspect that repair would come with the standard 30 feet or 30 second guarantee... whichever occurs first.
Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2014 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperClick Here to Email Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've heard the leather belt trick is military procedure in old jeeps.

I agree with piston slap. I wouldn't worry about it unless it bothers you enough to rebuild it.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2014 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exhaust leak at a manifold?
SKIDMARK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2014 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SKIDMARKSend a Private Message to SKIDMARKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I just put the oil pan back on yesterday.....all the bearings looked great so I am inclined to agree with the piston slap theory. Guess I'll just run it until it dies. Thanks for all your input....as usual, a great source of help!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock