Timing off by ninjayogi
Started on: 12-05-2014 02:24 PM
Replies: 5 (132 views)
Last post by: ninjayogi on 12-05-2014 06:30 PM
ninjayogi

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjayogiSend a Private Message to ninjayogiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 2.8 replaced stock distributor with Cardone made sure it was set to close to the same position as the old one. Now car wont start, it tries and then backfires. I would be grateful for any help. Thanks

OR - Since the distributor cap goes in sequential order can I just keep moving the plug wires over one at a time until I find the correct #1 terminal, or am I oversimplifying?

[This message has been edited by ninjayogi (edited 12-05-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
vEnOm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vEnOmSend a Private Message to vEnOmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like the firing order is out of whack. Did you remove any spark plug wires? If no, loosen the distributor and twist it counter-clockwise and/or clockwise, keep trying until the engine starts. If you did remove them you need to get them in the right order.

If it does start, follow the steps on this post to time it:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/125845.html
ninjayogi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjayogiSend a Private Message to ninjayogiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I replaced the wires and plugs. I will try your suggestion. Thanks
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As mentioned, plug wires are incorrect, or the distributor is a few gears off.
vEnOm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vEnOmSend a Private Message to vEnOmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, don't keep swaping wires or you'll flood the plugs and then it won't even start at all. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Use the images from this post to get the wires in the right order.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...02-2-105477.html#p12

ninjayogi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjayogiSend a Private Message to ninjayogiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes plug wires were incorrect I was WAYYYYYY off. I got it through trial and error, car is timed and all is good with the world. Thank you all for your help.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock