Temp sensor wiring question by nickwstp
Started on: 12-04-2014 05:37 PM
Replies: 5 (241 views)
Last post by: theogre on 12-07-2014 01:17 AM
nickwstp

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nickwstpSend a Private Message to nickwstpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I used the search function but couldn't locate the information I need so here it is.

I have an 87 car/ wiring harness with an 86 v6 motor stock. When I originally unplugged the harness to do the engine swap, the whole thing crumbled in my hand. The harness side and the sensor plastic all turned to dust in my fingers so I got the replacements and went to work. Grounding one wire on the engine makes the temp light come on and grounding the other wire makes the guage peg but I can't figure out which wire goes where because even with the engine warm the temp guage doesn't move when I hook up either wire. Do both wires need to be hooked up for the guage to read anything?

I have a green and a green with a yellow stripe from the harness, on the new harness connection I have yellow and black.

I know these sensors aren't very accurate but I should be getting SOME kind of reading on the guage when trying either wire with the engine warm right?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nickwstp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nickwstpSend a Private Message to nickwstpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just read in the ogres cave that you shouldn't use teflon on the threads? Is that right? I used some high temp pipe dope on the threads, but I really don't know if it had teflon in it, would that be my problem?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes it could be. It's not so much teflon, it's that the sensor needs to be grounded through the threads, so anything applied to the threads will reduce the connection.
vEnOm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vEnOmSend a Private Message to vEnOmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, don't use Teflon tape in the threads sensor; that could be the source of your issue. If anything use thread sealant. Permatex sells one in a small tube packaging.

However I recommend you just buy an AC Delco original sensor and be done with it. It already comes with sealant and best of all the sensor works. The one you want is ACDelco 213-4547

For the temp gauge fix see here -> http://www.fierosails.com/tempgage.html
nickwstp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nickwstpSend a Private Message to nickwstpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I think I'll just go buy the delco. Thanks all
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Teflon tape causes problems.
Pipe sealer paint, w/ or w/o Teflon, is ok.

Main thing is many use too much tape and sensors/senders can't ground thru threads.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock