Clutch Disc Kit recommendation by edfiero
Started on: 12-04-2014 01:14 PM
Replies: 5 (556 views)
Last post by: edfiero on 12-11-2014 10:14 PM
edfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the current thoughts on the most reliable clutch out there? I'm going to need a new clutch kit to put behind my SD4 project.
I won't be racing, so I don't need a super high performance clutch, just something capable of holding a little more torque with smooth engagement.
I have the 4 speed tranny out of an 85 - V6.
I was going to get the Spec Stage 1. They confirmed it would handle the torque, but then I was reading people had problems with Spec. Recently started leaning toward McLeod which makes the 9 11/16 pressure plate, but haven't seen a lot of feedback on them. (Not sure, but I think this is what West Coast Fiero sells)

[This message has been edited by edfiero (edited 12-04-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 9 11/16" disk will slow down your shift relative to a stock 9 1/8" disk.
vEnOm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vEnOmSend a Private Message to vEnOmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought this for my 4 speed auto to 4 speed manual conversion on my 87 GT.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pr...08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can't beat the price for an OEM like product considering you want reliability and not a super high performance clutch. If you want it to handle more torque, change only the disc and keep the stock pressure plate. That will give you smooth engagement, depending on the disc you get of course.

Here's a story you may want to know (or not) in order to consider which clutch to buy.

This is my second Fiero in 18 years, first one was a Red 4 speed manual 86 GT. I made the mistake of installing an HD clutch kit on that car, the clutch pedal was so heavy it was almost un-drivable during heavy traffic. Did it hold, yes but with a huge sacrifice in drivability; I’m not making that same mistake again.

This story may not be important to you, but consider it.

[This message has been edited by vEnOm (edited 12-05-2014).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

What is the current thoughts on the most reliable clutch out there? I'm going to need a new clutch kit to put behind my SD4 project.
I won't be racing, so I don't need a super high performance clutch, just something capable of holding a little more torque with smooth engagement.
I have the 4 speed tranny out of an 85 - V6.
I was going to get the Spec Stage 1. They confirmed it would handle the torque, but then I was reading people had problems with Spec. Recently started leaning toward McLeod which makes the 9 11/16 pressure plate, but haven't seen a lot of feedback on them. (Not sure, but I think this is what West Coast Fiero sells)

I have a McLeod Sintered Iron clutch mounted to a Getrag 282 and a modified 3800 SC Series III engine. I have put about 15,000 miles on it and it is still running nicely. However, you may want to note that this is a very on/off clutch design and is somewhat difficult to shift smoothly. I have a SPEC 3 plus clutch on a basically 3800 SC Series II engine with a 3.4 pulley and the clutch is smoother than the McLeod. My personal experience with SPEC clutches has been good (Stage II and Stage 3 plus) but I have seen some less than adequate reports about them.

Nelson

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vEnOm:

I bought this for my 4 speed auto to 4 speed manual conversion on my 87 GT.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pr...08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can't beat the price for an OEM like product considering you want reliability and not a super high performance clutch. If you want it to handle more torque, change only the disc and keep the stock pressure plate. That will give you smooth engagement, depending on the disc you get of course.

Here's a story you may want to know (or not) in order to consider which clutch to buy.

This is my second Fiero in 18 years, first one was a Red 4 speed manual 86 GT. I made the mistake of installing an HD clutch kit on that car, the clutch pedal was so heavy it was almost un-drivable during heavy traffic. Did it hold, yes but with a huge sacrifice in drivability; I’m not making that same mistake again.

This story may not be important to you, but consider it.

Thanks, yes it is important. I will be in traffic at times, so a semi stock clutch feel is important. This is why I was thinking about the Spec Stage 1, rather than one of their more performance oriented clutches..

Interesting that the link you provided to the AC Delco, basically says it is made by someone else, but will be packed in an AC Delco box.

Anyone know if the number of springs on the clutch disc is important? I see the stock disc has 4 springs, but other discs have 5 and 6. Does this impact the ability to hold more torque, or is that all in the compound the disc is made out of?
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2014 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump for more recommendations

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock