Norhtstar crankshaft flywheel bolt pattern by gotNorthstar
Started on: 11-29-2014 09:47 PM
Replies: 2 (581 views)
Last post by: Lunatic on 12-21-2014 07:14 AM
gotNorthstar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gotNorthstarSend a Private Message to gotNorthstarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am using a northstar in a porsche which menas i have a much smaller flywheel to fit the porsche bellhousing. I want to know if i have the room to redrill my flywheel so Im asking if anyone can measure the bolt pattern across a pair of bolts for me ?
Just let me know how you measured

THANKS
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's an 8 hole X 78 mm diameter bolt circle. The holes are drilled for 8 mm bolts.
Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave is right about the bolt circle, 8 on 78mm. You'll have to use a Porsche flywheel and modify it. I actually made two adapter plates. I used the stock 200mm Porsche flywheel since I already had it. Ideally, I'd like to get the 228mm flywheel as it's an inch larger. But that's in the future. Take a look at how I did mine.
PS-You should use a high torque starter as well. The Northstar starter will not work!
Another thing to remember, the length of the flywheel bolts. Make double sure they don't bottom out inside the Northstar crankshaft. If so, the engine won't turn over and damage to the bearings may occur. Mine protrude out the back of the adapter by .530"

Stock flywheel. You'll have to remove the hub on the back side.

Remove material up to the bevelled edge. Inner diameter is now 3.108"

Adapter started out as a 6" by 1.5" solid steel stock. Turned in a lathe and machined in a mill.

As you can clearly see, the stock Porsche pattern is gone. The six outer bolts hold the adapter to the flywheel and the eight bolts hold it all to the Northstar.

[This message has been edited by Lunatic (edited 12-21-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock