Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Why is my 3800 T-stat cap leaking? To much pressure?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Why is my 3800 T-stat cap leaking? To much pressure? by JCircs
Started on: 11-29-2014 12:36 PM
Replies: 3 (173 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 12-03-2014 02:18 PM
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's the WCF housing for a 3800 supercharged with a new Fiero store cap. It was fine for the first few hundred miles then I noticed a little wet under the cap after I got on it a bit, now if I get on it it's actually dripping enough hit the header and cause white smoke to pour out the deck. I checked the cap and the gasket and it looks fine and feels tight when installed. Is this a cap issue or is to much pressure being built up in my system?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would guess that it is most likely the cap or it was not turned on tight. On the cap you have two tabs that must be aligned to the slots on the top of the housing, pushed down and under the ridge. Then the cap must be turned until the two tabs come against the stop. Sometimes a small amount of silicon grease (but don't use std grease) on the housing ridge helps turn the cap more easily and seat it.
BTW, what does your temperature gauge read? If the coolant is getting too hot and building too much pressure you will see it spilling out quickly from the radiator cap to the coolant overflow bottle.
Forgot to ask, are you using the GTP or Fiero thermostat. If you are using the Fiero thermostat make sure that it is pushed in a bottomed out/seated correctly or the cap will not close properly.
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 12-01-2014).]

JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Dennis thanks for the input, it was the cap that was the issue. I was using a aftermarket cap from the Fiero Store, it was a snug fit but pretty easy to get on and off. Now I'm using an AC Delco RC40 cap, it has a much tighter seal but it's also much harder to get on and off but no more leaks.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:

Hey Dennis thanks for the input, it was the cap that was the issue. I was using a aftermarket cap from the Fiero Store, it was a snug fit but pretty easy to get on and off. Now I'm using an AC Delco RC40 cap, it has a much tighter seal but it's also much harder to get on and off but no more leaks.

Good to know that. Buyer beware - those cheap low quality Chinese caps sold in the aftermarket don't seal!!

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock