A fiero with no spark by Jayfelt
Started on: 11-29-2014 10:16 AM
Replies: 5 (233 views)
Last post by: Domtech on 11-30-2014 04:31 PM
Jayfelt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JayfeltSend a Private Message to JayfeltEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So it was a nice snowy day yesterday and i had a feild day with my fiero in it. Car ran completely fine all day until i got to a friends house. I parked my car waiting for him to come out and after a minute or so the car cuts out with out warning and refuses to start again. The car will crank freely but wont start. I went down the list of things to check and finally came to finding no spark. My ignition coil had no spark coming from it and looked fairly old so i replaced that first. Didn't work but it was an easy $20 fix so im not going to cry over it not working. So after a little more resrresearch i wish to believe it is my pick-up coil. I would like to confirm and get opinions from you guys before i take my next steps. Thanks guys hope you can help me once again

P.s. Ignition module is new and car ha no codes.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New parts do not necessarily mean good parts. Many ICMs are bad right out out of the box. Examine the pins in all the connectors you can look at....corrosion is likely.

edit: Make sure you used the proper heat-sink paste when you installed the ICM. You can search the archives for a discussion about that.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 11-29-2014).]

Jayfelt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JayfeltSend a Private Message to JayfeltEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It did turn out to be bad ICM again. Just replaced it two months ago. Im done buying AutoZone garbage. Aways having to return parts.
Domtech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DomtechSend a Private Message to DomtechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a BWD ICM last 1 mile and a masterpro icm last 8 miles. ACDelco is the only brand to use for the Fieros hot engine compartment.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Domtech:

I had a BWD ICM last 1 mile and a masterpro icm last 8 miles. ACDelco is the only brand to use for the Fieros hot engine compartment.

Frequent ICM failure may mean the ICMs are junk....but it also may mean that there is high resistance in the secondary ignition system. Failing spark plug wires or a worn distributor cap can send spikes of high voltage backwards and damage the ICM.
Domtech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DomtechSend a Private Message to DomtechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was with a new cap, rotor, and pickup coil. I put my original ICM back on and it has lasted around 300 or so mile since.
I do have an Accel 48,000 volt coil that might have been contributing to the failures, but I know that either way the Delco ones are better.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock