Should I replace my ignition switch? by Tweeder
Started on: 11-29-2014 03:13 AM
Replies: 16 (1291 views)
Last post by: hobbywrench on 02-12-2015 10:29 AM
Tweeder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking of replacing my ignition switch and need confirmation. When I turn the key, it's at the very end of the turn and like the last mm before it stops it's turn, that the engine will start to turn over.

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD(2002), Gen V, 3.3 pulley, SD headers

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i would suggest trying to loosen the bolts on the switch itself and see if it will slide up the column a bit. The holes where it bolts to the column are slotted a bit an might just need to be adjusted...

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ditto, just Adjust it. if you install a new one, it may do the same thing.
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a write up somewhere on how to do that or will I see once I get the covers off?

------------------

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The switch is on the lower column way under the dash. No need to disassemble any part of the column just to adjust. Loosen two 5/ 16? nuts and slide it.

I do believe you have to you have to take off the lower dash cover - two torx screws to see it.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your going to go to the trouble to adjust the ignition switch, you might as well replace it.Use a mirror and stubby screw driver. Yes they do wear out, Ive replaced and opened (seeing visible wear) on, the ignition switch on 2 diffrent cars. Just make sure the radio, Operates in accesory position and the car starts befor raiseing the colum and putting everything back together (Its adjustable).

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 11-29-2014).]

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had this problem only worse. Eventually I broke the ignition pushrod follower. While replacing that I intended to replace the switch too, but after installing it the problem was actually worse. The pushrod was binding under the switch. I changed the attachment a little so there was more clearance and used the old switch. It barely worked, but it hasn't caused any major problems since then. It's hard to get at and there are many variations in the part descriptions. It might be better to just adjust things, especially if it's not actually broken. IIRC there is some sort of proverb about if it ain't broke ...
Internet-man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Internet-manSend a Private Message to Internet-manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have sort of a similar problem here. I was wondering if any one else had this specific problem before or knew how to deal with it. I put the key in, turn it to the "ready" position every thing powers up like it should. When I turn the key there is the normal click but instead of ignition every thing just stops, all electrical power goes. I can get it back on by jiggling the battery a little (though the posts are very secure and as they should be) then when I try to start the car after that it does the same thing all over again. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, I've never seen this exact problem before.
Just got done replacing the rotors too.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What happens when you turn the other way - to accessories?
Internet-man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Internet-manSend a Private Message to Internet-manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:

What happens when you turn the other way - to accessories?

It doesn't do any thing.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you mean by that the accessories position doesn't allow use of the accessories that suggests the switch is out of adjustment.
PFF
System Bot
hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2015 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It had got to where I was afraid to use the car because I could not get the key to turn for starting. (Way off on this one) I downloaded JAZZMAN's pictorial guide and went into the column. I finally found the culprit was just a heavily worn KEY. Scrounged up a newer key and problem solved. It was an eduction and the pictorials helped.
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2015 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hobbywrench:

It had got to where I was afraid to use the car because I could not get the key to turn for starting. (Way off on this one) I downloaded JAZZMAN's pictorial guide and went into the column. I finally found the culprit was just a heavily worn KEY. Scrounged up a newer key and problem solved. It was an eduction and the pictorials helped.

Ya got a link to that pictorial?

------------------

hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll look. I printed the whole thing . It is the best private cutaway I have seen and reveals just what a marvel a steering column is. I believe the link is somewhere in this forum archive. I intended to pursue the well known "erratic intermittent wiper turnon," in my 85 GT (still) , but chickened out at the switch level.
hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hobbywrench

350 posts
Member since Feb 2013
Tweeder, Look in search here and see that Jazzman link and info is deleted. Tell me what you need and maybe I can pm you.
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088020.html

Looks like it was deleted and he's been banned. Not sure what I'm looking for, was just interested in info on the inside of the column for when I have to swap out my ignition cylinder

------------------

hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cutaway ran over 20 pp which I printed. I will summarize the major pics here so you can further digest. Stand by.

Edit: I found it. It is indeed a manual, 70 pages, 125 pictures, no table contents , no major subdivisions. Online there is ref in a chevy forum, but manual not found. If specific area within column let me know . Maybe I can scan/send.

Edit 2. OK it lives. Look in this forum , 4 pages under the topic and several web sites. One broken. try diyfiero.com/dro...ing_Rack_Rebuild_pdf

[This message has been edited by hobbywrench (edited 02-12-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock