Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  replace or not to replace (pick up coil)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
replace or not to replace (pick up coil) by fieroville
Started on: 11-28-2014 06:56 PM
Replies: 8 (492 views)
Last post by: fieroville on 11-28-2014 11:29 PM
fieroville

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierovilleSend a Private Message to fierovilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just purchased very inexpensively, my 7th GT and this one only has 48,151 miles on it. I am doing general cleaning, mechanical and some electrical replacements. I have replaced the ignition control module. The question I have is, should I replace the pick up module? The ignition module was original and the pick looks at least to be a factory one. I would suspect it to be the original but it looks ok with no corrosion or warped windings or wires. The reason I ask is because it runs flawlessly and I really would like not have to remove the distributor.
Thanks in advance...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're going to have to go through the same amount of work when it fails. At the present time it's working well, so why bother. Enjoy and Welcome.
fieroville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierovilleSend a Private Message to fierovilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...thanks...
that was my first thought. The only reason why I ask is I heard they wil fail and leave you stranded. At least you can replace a ICM on the road, where as a P/U coil entails more teardown. In my 22+ years owning fieros I never hand one fail....for now...
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The old pick-up coil should not leave you stranded. They tend to get weak and make the motor miss, but they do not stop completely like the ICM (or bad connectors) will do. If you remove your distributor for any reason...change the pick-up coil then.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've owned 6 or 7 over my 21 years and I've replaced a couple only because they looked bad. One of them is in a reserve distributor and the other was on my Brother's car because we couldn't find the reason for a constant shudder as he went down the road. The pickup coil solved the problem. He had driven it that way for about a year.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the distributor have to come out to replace the pick up coil?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes. You have to drive the pin out of the bottom of the shaft to remove the gear. With that completed, you can lift the shaft and rotor out of the base. The coil is then accessible. Sometimes varnish buildup on the shaft will give some resistance to pulling it out, but I found that some PB Blaster sprayed into the bottom and a little up and down motion on the shaft will usually dissolve it in short order.

If you've never removed a distributor, I find it much easier on a manual equipped engine than an automatic. The reason is that with a manual you can put the trans in 3rd or 4th gear and rock the car to turn the distributor.

I rock the car until the pickup points on the distributor are perfectly aligned. I then mark them with a Sharpee pen so I know which two must be aligned upon replacement. It makes it very easy to get it back into time without the need for a timing light.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 11-28-2014).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buddy Craigg has a fantastic step-by-step on how to replace the pick up coil.

Part 1

Part 2
fieroville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierovilleSend a Private Message to fierovilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies guys....if its a matter of a sputter or two until I get her home to fix it, thats fine. Im trying to remember who and when I heard that info about the p/u coil - when it dies it shuts down...I know, from experience, when a ICM goes.....time for a tow or have the tools ready to fix then and there.
Thanks again...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock