Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  All aboard the hype train: Fiero Plastics reproducing GT Tail lights Jan 2015 (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
All aboard the hype train: Fiero Plastics reproducing GT Tail lights Jan 2015 by Shho13
Started on: 11-27-2014 10:52 PM
Replies: 94 (3496 views)
Last post by: Shho13 on 04-21-2015 03:24 PM
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rcp builders:

Wow, I can not believe went into the man's post history so you can post something like this in a completely different thread entirely and just to him look bad. The poor man was on his death bed a few months ago and this is what you have to say? You really have to be kidding.

We are here for the Fiero; like the man said, it's a common hobby guys. Is this seriously what it has all come down to? I'm probably the youngest guy on this forum and I seriously have to say this?

GT tail lights to be reproduced in 2015, all aboard the hype train!!!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

IP: Logged
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Shho13

916 posts
Member since Feb 2014

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

I can't agree with you more...It just seems that most of the people on here are negative about any ideas members have to help improve the Fiero hobby for some reason.

Double post! Oops!

Thank you very much for stepping up against all odds to attempt to make quality reproductions parts for our beautiful cars! I know there are many hurdles still in your way, but don't give up your fight with cancer my friend, I'm praying for you! I can't wait to see your lenses and anything else you may put out whenever they become available!!!

------------------
"Discord"

rcp builders

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I can't agree with you more...It just seems that most of the people on here are negative about any ideas members have to help improve the Fiero hobby for some reason.

You weren't very supportive in this thread, do you really have room to talk?
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/092407.html

I just took my pics down from my thread so no more idea stealing
will be done.

I reposted because you missed it in your quote. He wasn't too sick to ATTACK another member and accused him of stealing his ideas, being sick is no excuse. Health wise I hope he makes a full RECOVERY but advertising products before you even have a working prototype is irresponsible.

[This message has been edited by rcp builders (edited 11-30-2014).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There is a difference between pessimism and reality. A logical person who wishes to go into business looks at the numbers relative to market demand, what it costs to satisfy the market demand and what the market will pay. There is a demand for GT taillight lens but IMO that demand is small and cannot justify the tooling cost. If this was a financially viable project would not Rodney and/or the Fiero Store jump on it? They have the experience and understand the market.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure glad that rcp builders and dennis are gonna be building all the items wanted by the Fiero community.
rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm sure glad that rcp builders and dennis are gonna be building all the items wanted by the Fiero community.

The community stands about as much chance of me doing it as they do you, which is no chance.
get a working prototype before you stir up the site and get peeps excited for nothing. Ray

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don`t know anything about injection moulded whatever vs lexan but I can`t believe two things.
1: That there is only one way to make these lenses and nothing else will work
2: That nobody can make a product without breaking the bank to beat technology from almost 30 years ago.
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

I don`t know anything about injection moulded whatever vs lexan but I can`t believe two things.
1: That there is only one way to make these lenses and nothing else will work
2: That nobody can make a product without breaking the bank to beat technology from almost 30 years ago.

Absolutely right. 30 years is a long time... Ah, 30 years ago, seven years before I was born, when technology was just figuring out how to record four hours on their VHS tapes due to cutting edge "LP" technology, portable "cell phones" the size of suitcases, the K car was a thing, and last but not least the mighty Corvette was making 190 horsepower...

Times change, and so does technology. Maybe this lexan or whatever method these new lenses will be made of is the ticket... I'm optimistic... Time will tell!

------------------
"Discord"

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

Times change, and so does technology. Maybe this lexan or whatever method these new lenses will be made of is the ticket... I'm optimistic... Time will tell!

try listening to those of us who have actually worked in the CNC manufacturing/ injection molding industries. Wishful thinking and a positive attitude are great, but they do not make a viable business model
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 06:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I can only go by what I have seen at a hot tub place I worked since I have no experience in this particular field.
I think they used Lexan but maybe something else.
The moulds they made were shaped with some kind of bondo-like filler and then they drilled a bunch of holes in it and vacumed a huge sheet of this Lexan or whatever into a hot tub shell.
I know that`s a large item but where the filter went was an indention that was at most a foot in diameter and at least 3" deep which I`m pretty sure surpasses the depth of a GT taillight lens and it came out pretty good.
vette7584

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vette7584Send a Private Message to vette7584Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i agree with shho13. guess i might have helped start all of this when i posted that they are slated to go on sale/in production in january. not sure why people would be making all the negative comments. yes they have been promised in the past and people fell through on production. lets see what happens, it doesnt cost us a dime to wait and see if they get made, if they do its a bonus for the people that want to replace their taillight lenses, i have 2 pairs that could use new lenses, i would but them myself. why are we worried what cost of production is? we arent paying it. the guy who may be manufacturing these has to worry about that. everyone seems to remember when the fiero store used to sell replacement lenses right? why is that they remember it? because they either bought some, were going to buy some, or thought they would be able to go to them if they ever needed them, it was kinda like a safety net. well the net is gone, but people still remember. as for legality behind these lenses being dot approved, i am no lawyer and no nothing about it. did anyone ask this guy? he hasnt said anything about dot legality on here. maybe he has that all figured out already? did that ever occur to some of you? fiero store sold repros from the same molds, supposedly, but that would have made them a secondary manufacturer, they were not the oem manufacturer, so doesnt that mean they would have to be dot approved? anyone ever think of that? get off this guys back, wait and see, it doesnt cost you a dime, just time
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-01-2014 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vette7584:
i agree with shho13. guess i might have helped start all of this when i posted that they are slated to go on sale/in production in january. not sure why people would be making all the negative comments.

FFS. They are not negative comments. They are comments about realistic problems that need to be overcome. If you don't want to deal with those problems, then you shouldn't be trying to make a product and bring it to a market. You will fail to do so, if you simply ignore those problems. It's not negativity. It's reality.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 12-01-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-01-2014 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

The go to reasoning around here seems to be that there simply isn't a demand for GT tail light lenses since there aren't many left on the road. I don't understand how that equates to not enough sales to justify reproducing them. According to how he says he is going to be making them it clearly doesn't cost $100,000 as it was originally thought. Will the quality be the same? Who knows? Its at least worth a shot.

Man, there sure is a lot of bickering going on over good news. I don't know it is pure reality, or if its just people being grumpy and pessimistic. How on earth are we going to keep the Fiero preserved for the next generation? Reproducing parts. Who is going to do it? Whoever has the means and ability to do so. Is it a good business move realistically? No. Is it a nitch market? Yes. All car restoration businesses have the same risk.

Let's take a Chevy Chevelle, or Nova, or even an El Camino. There hasn't been a brand new one built in decades, yet they are out there, many of them restored! Do you see a different one every day? No. Where do the parts come from to restore them? Both luck in finding one somewhere in a junkyard, someone parting out, or a reproduction part! Same goes for the Fiero. While clearly there isn't a following for the Fiero as the chevelle or Nova, its still a very niche market all the same.

We have the Fiero Store, we have Rodney, as well as many others making reproduction parts, and they are all still around making parts for our baby.

Reality check guys: problems like constant complaining, constant bickering and pessimism splt the community, and a split community is not a strong one. Ive been a part of many forums, online descussions, and blogs and many have fizzled out and died. Why? Im seeing it right here. Traffic is declining and the future of the Fiero is fading fast. What can we do to stop it? Why don't we start at being happy that someone is finally taking the initiative to step up and make a much needed part. All this "its not gonna work its gonna fail there is no demand" is bringing me down. Why should I continue my own GT restoration with all this constant trash talk?

Nobody is saying there isn't demand. However, there isn't enough demand to create profit. The demand is small enough, that it may even be very difficult to simply break even. And that's even if everyone who is trying to buy a set, bought two sets. The first thing you need to learn about Fieros, is that there are very few Fiero owners who will actually pay $1000-1500 for a set of tail lights. So people will say they want them, prior to knowing the price, and then once available, if the price is too high, won't purchase them. Inflated demand only makes problems worse for people who want to create products for the Fiero community.

Comparing the Fiero to muscle cars is also a bit off. The Chevelle, Nova, and El Camino are all much more popular than the Fiero. They don't have the bad reputation the Fiero has, either. If the Fiero was as popular as those cars, then Year One would already be making all the parts we need, just as they do for those cars. But you won't find any parts from Year One to restore an 80s Nova, either.

You are new here, and young and innocent still. There have been a lot of people over the years who were going to make some new part that everyone needed, only to never do it. Some of them took money up front and then just disappeared. Some of them made promises and never came through. Some of them just up and vanished with no further word on making the products. Some of them ended up with health, personal, or other problems, and disappeared. So expect the healthy scepticism when anyone comes on here saying they're going to make some new part at a reasonable price, in a reasonable time frame.

It's not trash talk. It's realistic description of problems that you will face. It's not that there is no demand. It's that there is very little demand. The cost of production for a quality set of tail lights for the Fiero is much higher than what you, and many others, might think it will be. And $1500 for a set of tail light lenses is not something most people are going to be willing to pay. A lot of people didn't even pay that much for their car.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

... there are very few Fiero owners who will actually pay $1000-1500 for a set of tail lights.

One thing that complicates the issue is this - I wonder how many pairs of Fiero Store taillights do people have stashed away "just in case"? I know mine sat on a shelf in the basement for five years before I installed them, and I know several people who bought multiple pairs, or more pairs than they owned cars. That was, what, only 8 or 9 years ago? They're going to keep a lid on demand for awhile yet.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-01-2014 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:
One thing that complicates the issue is this - I wonder how many pairs of Fiero Store taillights do people have stashed away "just in case"? I know mine sat on a shelf in the basement for five years before I installed them, and I know several people who bought multiple pairs, or more pairs than they owned cars. That was, what, only 8 or 9 years ago? They're going to keep a lid on demand for awhile yet.

That. And all the cars that have been stashed away for 20-30 years are starting to creep out of the woodwork. Instead of spending $10K to restore a car with 100K+ miles on it, you can basically buy a brand new Fiero for the same price.
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nobody is saying there isn't demand. However, there isn't enough demand to create profit. The demand is small enough, that it may even be very difficult to simply break even. And that's even if everyone who is trying to buy a set, bought two sets. The first thing you need to learn about Fieros, is that there are very few Fiero owners who will actually pay $1000-1500 for a set of tail lights. So people will say they want them, prior to knowing the price, and then once available, if the price is too high, won't purchase them. Inflated demand only makes problems worse for people who want to create products for the Fiero community.

Comparing the Fiero to muscle cars is also a bit off. The Chevelle, Nova, and El Camino are all much more popular than the Fiero. They don't have the bad reputation the Fiero has, either. If the Fiero was as popular as those cars, then Year One would already be making all the parts we need, just as they do for those cars. But you won't find any parts from Year One to restore an 80s Nova, either.

You are new here, and young and innocent still. There have been a lot of people over the years who were going to make some new part that everyone needed, only to never do it. Some of them took money up front and then just disappeared. Some of them made promises and never came through. Some of them just up and vanished with no further word on making the products. Some of them ended up with health, personal, or other problems, and disappeared. So expect the healthy scepticism when anyone comes on here saying they're going to make some new part at a reasonable price, in a reasonable time frame.

It's not trash talk. It's realistic description of problems that you will face. It's not that there is no demand. It's that there is very little demand. The cost of production for a quality set of tail lights for the Fiero is much higher than what you, and many others, might think it will be. And $1500 for a set of tail light lenses is not something most people are going to be willing to pay. A lot of people didn't even pay that much for their car.

You are right about the money thing for sure for some of the guys... These cars are definitely not worth as much as many other classic cars as well...

However, personally, I do know that I will be needing to do something eventually with my worn out tail lights since I plan on showing my car after I paint it next year... Both delamination and cracks are present on both sets of tail lights I currently have, and something as obvious as a giant hole in my passenger side lens will take big points away at a show!!! I'm sure there are at least a few others that are in the same situation, how many and will it justify actually producing them? Only time can honestly tell. Apparently the way he is describing how the lenses will be made it won't cost a considerable amount of money. Yes, I know quality and durability may be an issue, but there is only one way to find out... And I'm willing to test them out.

I can justify the price like this; a few years ago when I was wrenching for Subaru, someone backed into my Subaru and broke the tail light lens. IIRC it was 600$ for just one tail light, and that was even with my employee discount on parts, 10% over cost... With that in mind, I actually think the pair of lenses may be worth it for $500, especially since it will be for showing purposes in my case. That's less than a Mr.Mike's leather seat kit, and also a little bit more than Dallas Steering Wheel quoted me to recover my steering wheel.

There is definitely a lot I need to learn about life; no doubt, and despite the fact that it may not be a good business model with all the hoops and regulations and how to mold it and with what material to make it out of... You can call me a young clueless fool for hoping it will work out in the end, but it's at least worth a shot to give this guy a chance to put out something... It looks like he will be making other parts as well so there will be other possibilities for income so it realistically isn't as big of a risk.

For sure, I'll pay with PayPal when the time comes, and if anything funky happens where I never get the lenses or something, I'll be covered under buyer protection. I view it like buying something on eBay. I only buy from the mall through Paypal for a reason...

Whatever happens, I'll be here. I'm hoping for the best. I'll definitely be buying a set if/when it happens.

------------------
"Discord"

vette7584

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vette7584Send a Private Message to vette7584Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
shho13 couldnt have said it much better. i restore corvette's have had many of them and still have one. the fiero is a sidebar. what i do know is this, yes the corvette is way more popular, no doubt when comes to restoring and parts production. but when a part is repro'd they dont always make a lot on the individual part, its the sum of the many. lets see how these lenses come out before all the "speculation" of what could and could not be. if you know anything about the auto restoration gig, you would know there are some early mopars that they do not make repro parts for, solely due to the fact the cars were not produced in any large quantities, hmm kinda like the fiero. granted the mopars are more collectible/desireable, for now. but, if certain extremely hard to find parts were repro's for said mopar's, they would sell like crazy, why they dont make them is because maybe someone isnt up for the challenge like this guy is. as you can see he plans on making other parts as well, which would offset the cost of taillight production. look at it this way, someone buys a set of his lenses because they want or need them, they get them and like them, now they start looking at what else he has to offer, and they buy more, they tell their friend, and next thing you know this guys cant keep up with demand and has to expand.... i know best case scenario, but if you look, how many repro parts suppliers are there just for the corvette. yes a more popular car, but if you follow this site, as all of you that are reading do, you must know there is a following for this car, and people are building tuning and doind all sorts of things with these cars. most people own more than one, i am a corvette guy and i own 3 fieros, theyre fun, easy to work on, contrary to popular belief and for the most part, parts are plentiful. how bout we SUPPORT and ENCOURAGE this guy to make our hobby more enjoyable.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-01-2014 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You are right about the money thing for sure for some of the guys... These cars are definitely not worth as much as many other classic cars as well...

However, personally, I do know that I will be needing to do something eventually with my worn out tail lights since I plan on showing my car after I paint it next year... Both delamination and cracks are present on both sets of tail lights I currently have, and something as obvious as a giant hole in my passenger side lens will take big points away at a show!!! I'm sure there are at least a few others that are in the same situation, how many and will it justify actually producing them? Only time can honestly tell. Apparently the way he is describing how the lenses will be made it won't cost a considerable amount of money. Yes, I know quality and durability may be an issue, but there is only one way to find out... And I'm willing to test them out.

I can justify the price like this; a few years ago when I was wrenching for Subaru, someone backed into my Subaru and broke the tail light lens. IIRC it was 600$ for just one tail light, and that was even with my employee discount on parts, 10% over cost... With that in mind, I actually think the pair of lenses may be worth it for $500, especially since it will be for showing purposes in my case. That's less than a Mr.Mike's leather seat kit, and also a little bit more than Dallas Steering Wheel quoted me to recover my steering wheel.

There is definitely a lot I need to learn about life; no doubt, and despite the fact that it may not be a good business model with all the hoops and regulations and how to mold it and with what material to make it out of... You can call me a young clueless fool for hoping it will work out in the end, but it's at least worth a shot to give this guy a chance to put out something... It looks like he will be making other parts as well so there will be other possibilities for income so it realistically isn't as big of a risk.

For sure, I'll pay with PayPal when the time comes, and if anything funky happens where I never get the lenses or something, I'll be covered under buyer protection. I view it like buying something on eBay. I only buy from the mall through Paypal for a reason...

Whatever happens, I'll be here. I'm hoping for the best. I'll definitely be buying a set if/when it happens.

But you need to realize that everyone isn't going to justify the price in the same way that you are. Simply because there is some demand, doesn't mean the demand is great enough to create a viable product for. $500 is one thing. Are you willing to pay $1500 for a pair of lenses? Or would you instead go find a set of decently good set of used tail lights, and simply fix any delamination they might have? The Subaru comparison is all fine, but remember that $600 was for a complete tail light assembly, not just the lens which you'd then have to disassemble an existing light and glue back together with. And it was for a Subaru where the dealer was still making parts. Now, imagine that car was a somewhat rare vehicle only made for 3 years, 27 years ago. Because that's what you're getting with a fastback Fiero. Frankly, $500 for a low production lens, is going to be an amazing price. I doubt it will be possible though.

Also, PayPal doesn't protect you forever. If you wait too long, they won't do anything for you. So if you're going to rely on that, you need to be careful.

I and others certainly do hope he manages to create a viable product. But others have already failed to present such products, some of them in the same situation as this one is currently in. I'd love to see new tail light lenses get produced, especially if they are of viably good quality, but I'm not going to hold my breath or base my build on whether or not that happens. If it happens, great. If not, then another mark on the long list of failed attempts.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just figuring out what to do and find a reliable place to supply or manufacture them is a lot of hard work. You don't have to physically make the stuff to know that. I spent 4 years just trying to find a 4bbl intake manifold, OEM or aftermarket, new or used, for my 66 Dodge. I finally gave up and built a whole different engine out of another car that originally was a 4 bbl.
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But you need to realize that everyone isn't going to justify the price in the same way that you are. Simply because there is some demand, doesn't mean the demand is great enough to create a viable product for. $500 is one thing. Are you willing to pay $1500 for a pair of lenses? Or would you instead go find a set of decently good set of used tail lights, and simply fix any delamination they might have? The Subaru comparison is all fine, but remember that $600 was for a complete tail light assembly, not just the lens which you'd then have to disassemble an existing light and glue back together with. And it was for a Subaru where the dealer was still making parts. Now, imagine that car was a somewhat rare vehicle only made for 3 years, 27 years ago. Because that's what you're getting with a fastback Fiero. Frankly, $500 for a low production lens, is going to be an amazing price. I doubt it will be possible though.

Also, PayPal doesn't protect you forever. If you wait too long, they won't do anything for you. So if you're going to rely on that, you need to be careful.

I and others certainly do hope he manages to create a viable product. But others have already failed to present such products, some of them in the same situation as this one is currently in. I'd love to see new tail light lenses get produced, especially if they are of viably good quality, but I'm not going to hold my breath or base my build on whether or not that happens. If it happens, great. If not, then another mark on the long list of failed attempts.

Yes, that is true; $1500 is a ton of money to spend on a set of lenses... Granted it has been made known he wants $500 a set right now. Now, for the sake of argument if he said they would be $1500 a set I would hesitate big time on getting them, you are correct. Maybe if he did a combo deal with possible other items included like the center skeleton and random trim he makes as well it would make it a little easier to say "yes" to!

Yeah man! We are all holding our breath as well! We just gotta be hopfull this all works out... If not, it's not the end of the world; we just still don't have factory tail lights back in circulation!!!

------------------
"Discord"

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-02-2014 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, that is true; $1500 is a ton of money to spend on a set of lenses... Granted it has been made known he wants $500 a set right now.

That's another thing that has me not having particularly high hopes for this endeavor. Stating a price, when there isn't a viable prototype built, with a quote from a manufacturer, is just begging for problems.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, that is true; $1500 is a ton of money to spend on a set of lenses... Granted it has been made known he wants $500 a set right now. Now, for the sake of argument if he said they would be $1500 a set I would hesitate big time on getting them, you are correct. Maybe if he did a combo deal with possible other items included like the center skeleton and random trim he makes as well it would make it a little easier to say "yes" to!

Yeah man! We are all holding our breath as well! We just gotta be hopfull this all works out... If not, it's not the end of the world; we just still don't have factory tail lights back in circulation!!!

Depends on what its worth to you. I spent $2500 for new headlites and tail lights with trim, and $900 more for a piece of trunk chrome on that 66 Dodge.

NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We need to get Gas Monkey Garage to do a build on a Fiero and see where they go for new parts. If they can afford $6000 for a windshield for Ferrari... New Tail lights should be easy.....

------------------
Mark
' 85 2m6 3.4PR
In the Great Northwest!

Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah. A bit of publicity on TV or in a movie would do wonders for the Fiero... Even one 30 second clip of a Fiero just driving in a Fast and Furious type movie would yeild a new influx of sudden popularity; making it a sudden realization of how good the Fiero actually was back in the day with less of the taint.

Then suddenly our Fieros are a hot collectable and more parts would eventually be made...

I can dream, can't I? Lol

------------------
"Discord"

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I miss being young, idealistic, and delusional.....

It sucks getting old and realistic... Unfortunately experience and knowledge does that to you sooner or later.
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lest we forget we did have our moment of movie fame.
Twice our beloved Fireo has been in a motion picture that I can remember.
1, Star Trek IV, when they pan the streets of LA there is a notchie cruising by.
2, Pain & Gain, the Rock drives one throughout the movie,
While did not watch the entire show it was cool to see him get in and actually drive the thing.

But alas, we still don't have the notoriety or the stuff we need.
I applaud anyone that tries to do something to help us all out.
Some succeed some fail but trying is what counts.
It may inspire others to try.
Me included, I built a coil over set up for the front of my 88 as well a 3 sets for friens over the years but
doing it for sale and the subsequent risks and insurance problems has stopped me from offering it to the masses.
I also did an adjustable front setup for the early cars. I had an 86 SE as well as 2 friends with 86's that wanted it.
Built those but stopped for the above reasons.
All have been in service for the last 6 years with no issues but???????.
Modified an adjustable rear bar for the 88 too.
Just think, I f I had the time and starter $$$ I could be a wealthy guy by now.

Bob

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone in the Dallas area could contact Gas Monkey or Discovery Channel and give them a challenge to build a Fiero, or rebuild a Fiero. It sort of meets their criteria of a two seater car from the 80s. They are inexpensive to buy starting out. You'd still need $20K for them to take on that project.

It would be a car that they couldn't slap on 2 gallons of Bondo to fix the body imperfections. The interior would be cheap for Sue to replace, unless they went to Mr. Mike for seat covers. There are a lot of parts sources from the Fiero Store to the Fiero Factory and others.

I have thought about taking a road trip to Dallas just to see Gas Monkey Garage and Gas Monkey Grill just to say I did it.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

I miss being young, idealistic, and delusional.....

It sucks getting old and realistic... Unfortunately experience and knowledge does that to you sooner or later.

How did you do that?
I`m approaching 60 and while not young I`m still idealistic and delusional.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the crux of the matter. Look at a Fiero and understand the value of what it is worth. Then look at a Corvette, Chevelle, 57 Chevy, Mercedes, BMW, and understand the values of the cars. Point is that the value of a car determines what the owner will spend on it. You will not sell many $1000 taillight covers to an owner of a car that sells at a low value. In short look at the supply, judge the market demand and determine if the price point fits the value of the car. . Remember rich people do not own many Fieros. We refer to Fieros as a poor mans Corvette. Do your market research and see for yourself.
Is what I say negative or just common sense??

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most people that are doing a basic restoration spend 799$ on a leather restoration kit on their Fiero seats from Mr. Mike + time to install themselves on top of that... Add in a set of rims, brake upgrades, some springs/coilover conversion, and a decent a paint job, and your in the car six or seven grand alone... $500, the said price point as of now or even a grand for a set of perfectly new tail light lenses are pricey, but in the scheme of things its not really the end of the world, especially since the tail lights are long since discontinued and almost impossible to find a new perfect set...

------------------
"Discord"

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 12-04-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-04-2014 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Most people that are doing a basic restoration spend 799$ on a leather restoration kit on their Fiero seats from Mr. Mike + time to install themselves on top of that... Add in a set of rims, brake upgrades, some springs/coilover conversion, and a decent a paint job, and your in the car six or seven grand alone...

I'd hardly call that a basic restoration.
PFF
System Bot
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd hardly call that a basic restoration.

Read it in context again... that was only listing a few things, which alone are about six - seven grand...

It seems like just respond to conflict whatever I say in this thread... are you angry with me or something? I'm sorry if so...

------------------
"Discord"

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 12-04-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-04-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Read it in context again... that was only listing a few things, which alone are about six - seven grand...

It seems like just respond to conflict whatever I say in this thread... are you angry with me or something? I'm sorry if so...

I'm just saying, that's more a full on restoration, and not a basic one. As a basic restoration, I'd expect minimal things to be done to make a car road worthy, reliable, and decent to drive. Most Fieros in the $1500-3500 don't need anything done to meet those criteria. Maybe some will have faded paint or whatever, but there's a huge difference between basic, and showroom quality, in terms of what restoration means.

Sorry for responding. I thought this was an open public forum where conversations took place. Conversation happens when more than one person is involved.
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, that was a misunderstanding on my part; I thought you were saying that was not even a basic restoration... My buddy just finished his frame off restoration on his 63 Catalina and he is in his car for over 100 grand!

------------------
"Discord"

ltlgt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2015 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any new info on these tail lights?
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2015 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately, Fierogtlt1, the guy behind this project is no longer with us...

------------------
"Discord"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Unfortunately, Fierogtlt1, the guy behind this project is no longer with us...

Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 05:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
F@#K Cancer...

------------------
"Discord"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RIP Fierogtlt1
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think anyone with common sense believed for a second that he would be able to reproduce these tail lights. Regardless, I genuinely hope it gave him peace and joy to dream, to take his mind off his illness, to plan and hope for things that were not meant to be,

RIP
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock