is this Normal ? 3800SC by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 11-27-2014 06:40 PM
Replies: 17 (372 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 12-03-2014 01:10 AM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe the Alternator is bad on my 3800SC swap. (1997 Riviera swap & Stock mount Alternator). it seems the Alt has stopped working, Belt squeals and the volt meter only reads about 12 volts and goes down the longer it runs. Thing is : at full charge, the engine runs perfect, as soon as the voltmeter gets below 12 volts the engine is not running as smooth as it was at full 12 volts. Charge it up full and it runs perfect again ! Also, anyone Know what "Interchange" will work for a replacement Alternator ? ( I'm Talking "Boneyard Alternator" that will Fit the Stock 97 Riviera Mount). Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2014 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Modern PCM's do not like the voltage being below 11.5 volts and actually can cause damage to the PCM running below this voltage. Make sure you have the alt wired up to the charge ind bulb in the dash and the bulb is good as this will kill the charge.
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Belt squeals? Slipping enough to effect current draw?
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm assuming that everything was running correctly before this? Most auto parts places will test alternators and batteries for free of you bring them in. Find a local place that does and bring them both in. A bad alternator will kill a battery, and a bad battery will kill and alternator. Get them both checked and replace as required. If they are both good, then you will need a little more trouble shooting.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the battery is fine, bringing in the ALT to be checked tomorrow. belts not slipping enough to stop it from charging. the squeal MAY even be coming from the Alt itself, but it spins freely.
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine was a bad AC pump. I replaced it with a bypass pulley and that fixed my squeal.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap
12.840@104.8 MPH Intense-Racing 1.9 rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.4 pulley, ZZP tune and 18 year old tires.

88 Coupe under construction SOLD

88 formula 3.4L 4t60 swap SOLD

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Alternator checked out OK at the shop, but still won't charge IN the Car ! Both fuseable Links are OK, all fuses are OK, the Volt light works in the Gauge (with the key ON, once the cars running the light goes out. What's getting me is: there are 2 wires going to the Alt, the 1 big one from the stud to the POS on the Battery, and the 1 very small one that plugs into the alt. (I believe this one is "supposed to energize" the Alt) .
SHOULDN'T that little wire have some voltage going through it ??? it has nothing ! What to Do ?
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your alt light in the dash, does the light come on when the key is on and engine not running? If not change the bulb and check it again. Some cars use the current through the bulb to energize the alt.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, this is a 1987 GT (has the Volt Gauge above the heat/AC controls.) Where is there a ALT Light ? the Volt light comes on in "ON" position and goes Off when started. this is a 1998 3800SC conversion.
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The light has absolutely nothing at all to do with the charging on a 3800.. Just make sure red (B/L) is connected to C2-61

------------------
86 Fiero GT: 3800sc/Manual, Cam/Mods.

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what kind of reading should the #61 clear pin read (That the red wire is connected to ) ? Thanks
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not enough wrap on the alternator pulley. If the belt is squealing it's not an electrical problem.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 11-30-2014).]

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HOW can it be Not enough wrap around the Alt pulley, the Belt Routing is exactly STOCK, even still has the power steering.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

HOW can it be Not enough wrap around the Alt pulley, the Belt Routing is exactly STOCK, even still has the power steering.

If the wrap isn't the problem, and the alt and belt are good but it is squealing, then my next question would be whether or not the tensioner is working properly and applying the proper tension to the belt.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a Good Point ! I finally just Ran a" New Wire" from Clear 61 to the plug o the Alt. At first there was no change, then I "Revved it "once and the volt gauge went up to 14-15 and stays there,I Only ran it for a minute).
Still have the "chirping" /" squeal". (definitely from the Alt Belt, not the Super Charger), so I Will look into the tensioner. (although when I took the belt off, the "tensioner" does Have a lot of Tension !) Thanks .
Finally down to Alignment , Paint, And doing something with the Wheels/Tires. Everything is New and" Everything Works as it should" (P.S., A/C, P.W., P. Mirrors, Big brake booster, Stereo. Getting closer !
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did ya get this sorted out Lou?
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you paint or powder coated the alt or brackets? Had a similar problem once and the alt was not making good ground. Scrapped some areas and problem went away.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No powder coating. believe me, it's NOT a Lack of Grounds. I've got the battery to the body, battery to the block, block to body , body to Cradle, body to all grounds needed for the ecm.
Now charging at 14.7 volts, but still got the squeal. I'm taking a break from the squeal, putting in a new Trunk FLOOR where I had to remove the bottom 6" to fit the muffler into.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock