What Scantool by newfiejeff
Started on: 11-25-2014 06:49 PM
Replies: 6 (896 views)
Last post by: newfiejeff on 11-27-2014 05:10 AM
newfiejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 2M4

What type of scan tool do I need for the Fiero? I have a lend of a OBDII scan tool but of course it doesn't fit. Can I get a connector to go from that scan tool to the Fiero?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No unless your OBD2 scan tool was built to also work with OBD1, and then if you got everything but the OBD1 adapter cable, you can not use an adapter cable to use your OBD2 scanner for OBD1. You can replace the last sentence to just a plain no for 99% of the time.

I make an GM OBD1 to USB cable. I sell it directly and on ebay. I am the only one selling it on ebay at this time. It works with and comes with the free version of TunerPro RT for Win XP -> 8.1. In my opinion TunerPro RT is by far the best program out there for scanning GM OBD1*, and the free version runs 100% after a 10 second nag screen. If you wish you can purchase a license for $39.99 and avoid the nag screen however that is never a requirement.

*93, 94/95 LT1s have a specific program written for scanning them that is nicer than TunerPro RT. It also btw is free to use and is included on the disk.

If you wish to scan using an android tablet or android phone that can work also. The same cable will work with the android scanner program. ALDLdroid is the only scanner program for GM OBD1 ALDL. It works using the TunerPro RT definitions so that means it will work with almost all GM OBD1 vehicles. ALDLdroid has specific requirements and they are listed on it's webpage. Also ALDLdroid is not free again see the webpage. ALSO -when using a USB cable with ALDLdroid you need to use the Android USB host mode function and host mode cable adapter. Check your version of Android to verify the host mode works on your device. The host mode adapter cable is cheap on ebay. (Host mode cable looks like a short USB android cable but it has a female end on it, hence the "host mode".

You can also use both TunerPro RT or ALDLdroid with bluetooth. I sell a GM ALDL OBD1 bluetooth adapter. The plus is that no cables are needed. You could leave it connected all the time, hid it under the dash/console and have it ready to connect whenever. The down side of the bluetooth is it is a bit harder to set up, so if your purpose is just to scan the USB version is most likely a better choice (and less expensive)

My web page is http://reddevilriver.com/aldl.html
On ebay the cable is at http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-...motive_Tools&vxp=mtr

The ebay version is the same but the price is a little higher to cover ebay fees.

The cable and software will work with all stock Fiero engines. and as far as I know for now, all GM OBD1 engines that I have seen swapped into a Fiero. (4.9, 3800 Series 1, 3100, 3400, quad 4. LT1)
WICKEDWILDFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WICKEDWILDFIEROSend a Private Message to WICKEDWILDFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To get the check engine codes to flash in your dash panel, use a jumper wire or a paper clip and connect terminals A and B of the diagnostic connector. Turn your ignition key on with engine off and the codes should start to blink. All codes should start with code 12 which is one long flash followed by 2 short flashes. This code 12 means the diagnostic system is normal and will repeat itself continuously if there are no trouble codes. Otherwise, code 12 will flash 3 times before flashing the fault codes.
http://www.gmtuners.com/OBD1_DTC.htm

WICKED
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If all you want is the diagnostic codes, then the paper clip is the tool you need.
If you want to monitor your o2 sensor, or BLM's then Phonedawgz tool is the way to go.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Codes is not an issue, so I will consider a scan tool in the future.

I will see what the wire does and if that is not it then I will get a new pick up coil and ICM( both is only about $50). Then I will go from there.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There isn't much the scanner will tell you about the ignition system. If that is your problem buying a scanner cable might not be the right direction.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2014 05:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I guess it's diagnose and replace.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock