Clutch/Neutral safety switch question by Shho13
Started on: 11-24-2014 10:59 PM
Replies: 5 (145 views)
Last post by: Arns85GT on 11-27-2014 04:15 PM
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Howdy all, been having a recent problem start to occur on the ol' girl... No biggie though. 1988 GT Getrag.

At any rate, it's an intermittent no crank condition. Narrowed it down to neutral/clutch safety switch, I pump the clutch a few times when holding the key on start allows starting, also jumping the switch and it starts every time without fail... the thing is I can't seem to find a new switch to replace it on the Fiero Store, I only see on for the automatic!

At any rate, before I go on a wild goose chase to try and find a new one somewhere else only to have it fail because its a cheap aftermarket part, has anyone had any success just sanding to clean up the terminals and contacts to refurbish my current switch? (I didn't take it out yet, so I don't even know if I can get into it to do so)

Also, I noticed when pressing the clutch all the way to the floor the switch and some of the stuff in that area that seems to be holding the switch on seems to move a considerable amount outward (If I recall correctly, its late and been a few days since I looked) towards the seat when pressed down for the last inch or so of travel . If I was to take a wild guess I would say whoever was in there last had miss adjusted it, but I'm not sure if it is a normal condition for it to move so much!

Thanks guys!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.rockauto.com/cat...49208,parttype,16665
http://www.oreillyauto.com/...eyword=clutch+switch

Local autozone , advance etc will stock them as well..

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 11-25-2014).]

Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try adjusting or cleaning it according to the instructions in here: www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/123269.html
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found mine to be annoying when I was working on getting mine running, so when the switch broke in half when I was swapping to a steel pedal I just jumped it and left it that way.
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2014 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright guys! Thank you... Ill clean up the contacts on the switch and report back in the spring time. Winter came early, and with it came snow.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 11-27-2014).]

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2014 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

I found mine to be annoying when I was working on getting mine running, so when the switch broke in half when I was swapping to a steel pedal I just jumped it and left it that way.

I removed mine as well. I always depress the clutch when starting so I expect the "safety" was for nimrods.

Arn

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock