Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Is this bad enough to make me decide to part out the car?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Is this bad enough to make me decide to part out the car? by huracan2015
Started on: 11-24-2014 07:23 PM
Replies: 20 (585 views)
Last post by: Fierology on 11-27-2014 03:19 PM
huracan2015

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like someone jacked it up right on the floor, even though the damage looks much worse than if someone did that. Is it damaged enough to part out the car or should I just try to hammer it down and see how it is? My concern is the frame rail/support thing.

[This message has been edited by huracan2015 (edited 11-24-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hammer it down.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by huracan2015:

My concern is the frame rail/support thing.

My belief is that the "frame rail/support thing" is there mainly to prevent the gas tank from falling out if the mounting straps break/rot through.

If it was my Fiero and that was its biggest issue, I'd just carefully tap down the sheet metal from above.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-24-2014).]

huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

My belief is that the "frame rail/support thing" is there mainly to prevent the gas tank from falling out if the mounting straps break/rot through.

If it was my Fiero and that was its biggest issue, I'd just carefully tap down the sheet metal from above.

Haha I actually meant the one inside. Is that just floor support that has no structural purpose?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Haha I actually meant the one inside. Is that just floor support that has no structural purpose?

Well, it supports the weight of you your passenger while sitting in the seat. From the looks of it though, I doubt enough rigidity has been compromised to effect any risk.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-24-2014).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is that just floor support that has no structural purpose?

The one on the outside is an important structural piece. It keeps the sides of the fuel tank tunnel from spreading apart and deforming the floor pan. Think of the tunnel like a big piece of corrugated cardboard. The ones on the inside are floor pan stiffeners and are important load distributing structures for the occupant's weight.

As for whether the damage is fixable, I'd say: absolutely! Work slowly with a hammer... don't try to move the metal in just a few hard blows. Make sure you back the hammer with a dolly or a piece of hardwood to control the reforming process.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

The one on the outside is an important structural piece. It keeps the sides of the fuel tank tunnel from spreading apart and deforming the floor pan.

Oh yeah... that too.

Originally posted by Patrick:

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Better yet, do nothing. Look at it in a few years. Bet you can't even find it. Sounds strange, but it works. This has happened to me a number of times. Various falling off lift, tow truck chains, and an angry passenger kicking a door - all disappeared before I got around to fixing them. You'll never do that well with a hammer.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put a piece if 2" x 6" board on top of the bend and whack it with a sledge Hammer, it'll go back down without leaving hammer marks.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll bet it will be more difficult to hammer down than it sounds.
I had a similar dent in the floor of my 88 coupe, except it was towards the rocker side of the pan and not the tunnel side.
It won't hurt a thing to just leave it alone.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I'll bet it will be more difficult to hammer down than it sounds.

Nah, you just need friends with a BFH.

PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1 That's a wonderful floor pan in my experience.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They aren't making Fiero's anymore and this one looks structurally sound, just a bit dented. I would save it. As pointed out the much of the structural integrity is in the frame reinforcements. Damage to the sheet metal on this Fiero seems repairable. I would attempt to save it.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Worse case, take it to a frame shop, they can bend it back.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hammers, dollies, pry bars, wood blocks, air hammer with mushroom heads.
Fun repair, wish I was closer to you.
Not hard at all.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pics of that metal look way to good to junk. A piece of 2x6 and a sledge hammer will do what needs to be done. That said, don't hammer it while it is on its wheels. Put blocks around the dented section first to give a hard support. This way the suspension and tires can't absorb the shock of the hammer.

Arn
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very Good Point about putting something "around Under the dent "to support it when wacking !
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My garage has a concrete ceiling. I've put a 4x4 on the end of my jack, braced against the ceiling, and used it to bend back a mistake like that (rad support, in my case). If it was me, on my Fiero, I'd do the same thing. Put the 4x4 through the sunroof and I'd be laughing a few minutes later.
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2014 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to replace that stiffener bracket I've got a nice one on ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251...46&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Fierology

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2014 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely fixable, may not even be seriously compromised. I believe primary structure is center tunnel where the fuel tank is. It is true that metal changes properties when bent, but what you have is minor damage on a certain location of the structure. Not part-out material.

my $0.02

Michael
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay