squealing belt/oil leak by Oolab1
Started on: 11-24-2014 11:47 AM
Replies: 13 (2153 views)
Last post by: Dodgerunner on 11-26-2014 03:38 PM
Oolab1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So for about as long as I can remember, the car would squeal on startup. This being my first car, and I didn't know much at the time, I had always just assumed it was some metal-on-metal grinding that happened when the car was started until the oil could get flowing to lubricate it, which didn't seem too far-fetched because of the minor oil leak from before I even bought the car. However, a few weeks ago I took it to the shop to get them to straight-pipe the converter for me (yes I know it's illegal, but I had basically been running open headers for a few weeks already and this was the fifth day since the owner opened the shop, plus I had been his fourth customer, not to mention he used to be a Fiero guy, too, so he looked the other way) and basically my dad had apparently told them to do whatever I said to the car and bill him later. Up until then the squealing had been getting really loud and long, and sounded very bad. So I told them about the oil leak and about the squealing and they said they would look into it. When I got the car back, they told me that the oil leak had covered the entire underside of the engine with old oil (I had already known this, and yeah it's really really bad, almost as though it had never been cleaned in 30 years) so they couldn't determine where the leak was coming from. However, he did say that the squealing was from the belt slipping, which made sense in hindsight, and that it was slipping because oil had somehow been dripping on the belt/pulleys and had coated them in oil. I believed him, until it was warm enough to check the belt myself today, and I found that when I ran my fingers along both sides of the belt they came away reasonably clean, and the pulleys were nice and shiny clean too. I checked the tension, and it's normal. I don't think the oil is getting on it, but would this still be a possible cause? If not, I can safely say it's probably just an old belt, and need to replace it (actually I will have to replace it either way of course). I've looked around, but can't seem to find a belt for the 2.8 by itself. I've heard about the other tensioners that are recommended to buy with the belt, but I don't have the money. Where can I get just a belt by itself? It will probably last through the winter as-is, but the sooner the better...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be more worried about the oil leak. If it's as bad as you say, you could lose a dangerous amount of oil and damage your engine. Get a couple cans of Engine Brite...maybe the heavy gel kind...and clean off all of the old oil. Get it in all the nooks and crannies, and maybe go to the DIY car wash and do it there so you can hose off the underside. Once everything is clean and dry, park over an old white sheet or something and check on it later and look for oil on the sheet and where it's located. That will help you determine the location of the leak. And make sure you check your oil frequently and keep it topped up!
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PatrickTRoof

605 posts
Member since May 2013
As far as the belt, if you have a V6 (I know nothing of the 4-cylinders), the belt is inherently squeaky because there is not much contact area between the alternator pulley and the belt.
Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the advice. I check the oil every week and, yes, the engine is burning oil, at least on startup. I can smell it. I'm trying to find somewhere to clean it off so mom doesn't kill me for getting oil all over her garage floor haha. But that's a good idea to go to the carwash, thanks!

And that explains the squeaking while driving, but the squealing on startup is DEFINITELY not normal. It's deafeningly loud and high pitched, and goes away after a few seconds.
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, that does sound abnormal. Back to the oil, I have a leaking rear main seal (why oh why didn't I change it when I had the engine out?!), and I use Lucas oil stabilizer...not stop leak...which slows it down significantly.
Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm I'll give it a shot. At least it'll save me some money on refilling the oil. But yeah I'm afraid that it might be something wrong with a valve somewhere, probably in the back three cylinders, because over the summer l heard a loose rattling sound and it was suggested that it's most likely a loose valve. If that is where the leak is I might as well shoot myself since I only bought the car for 200 and that'll be really expensive...
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you only paid $200 for the car you should expect a major repair expense.....

Save your ammo for something a bit more important...but also, if you hear something rattling around under a valve cover it would be a good idea to investigate.

Whatever it was, It has probably done some real damage by now.
Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha yeah you would think. But I actually bought it from my friend's dad, who was selling it only because he ran out of space in his driveway, not because the car was bad. He kept amazing care of it since he bought it in 87, and so it's in amazing condition for being about 97% stock. Anyway it's not really a problem anymore cuz I can't hear it, it had only made itself known when i let the oil get too low. But my dad has voluntarily put in over 2 grand for an entirely new brake system, and for the things I said above.

Anyway back to the original question. I plan on asking for a new belt for Christmas as the rest of my gift after my letterman jacket, but I don't know what to tell them to get?
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any auto parts store will carry the alternator belt. Just have them look it up.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A new belt is not expensive. You need to remove the belt, check the alternator lower bracket to make sure it isn't cracked, as it will cause problems in keeping the belt tight. Clean off the oil with a rag and some brake cleaner. Check the pulleys, re-install the belt and tension is properly. I had a belt that squealed on startup.... I replaced it and the squealing stopped. You could also have a bad alternator that is placing too much drag on the belt when it is starting up (doubt that, but possible).

Anyway. you need to get under there and check out the situation, clean it up and get a new belt.
Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will do thanks!
PFF
System Bot
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Things that often leak oil: oil pressure sender, valve covers, distributor shaft o-ring. The valve covers should be tightened to about 8 ft-lbs. The oil pressure sender can be upgraded to the '88 version, see Ogre's cave. The best time to do the distributor o-ring is when you do a tune-up.

Belt squeal is pretty common. I've noticed that when mine is squealing the alternator is not charging. I don't know why it wouldn't, but I'm thinking at that point it's not even turning. You can upgrade the alternator, also see Ogre's cave. TFS sells a stronger alternator bracket.

Dad is smart to pay for the brake job.

It would be a good idea to take the rear wheel liners off and look for rust.
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My belt squeaks a little bit when I start up after it rains, but then it's just a "chirp-chirp-chirp" that starts a few seconds after I start it, and stops shortly thereafter.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with the above. The common oil leaks are distributor, rear main, oil sender and I'll add I had a front seal that leaked fairly bad.
Look down in front of the dist. and see if there is a puddle of oil.
Even putting a new o-ring on the dist. it started leaking again within a year.
I added a thin gasket under the dist. which has eliminated the leak.
Replacing the front seal with a kit that also included the repair sleeve for the harmonic balance surface fixed the front seal leak.
Just info for the future.
Be careful over tightening the bottom alt. bolt as that is what breaks the alt. bracket.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 11-26-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock