2.5 performance exhuast by PRND3L
Started on: 11-23-2014 09:07 PM
Replies: 17 (433 views)
Last post by: PRND3L on 11-28-2014 08:46 PM
PRND3L

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PRND3LSend a Private Message to PRND3LEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,

I'm running a mild cam (COMP Cam Kit K52-123-4) on my Iron Duke. My car also does not have a cat (previous owner removed it), so I plan on removing all the "extra" piping from the bottom of the header to where it curves down under the cradle. What non-stock mufflers have you 4cyl guys done, and if you have a video/audio file of what it sounded like, could you please post a link?

Thanks,
Alex
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This wasn't used on a 4cyl, but I think you should consider it anyway. I installed the Jones Full Boar Quiet Tone muffler with my 4.9 install. The good thing about this muffler is that it is a 13" crossover muffler....which means it fits in the stock position. I love the sound, but I won't bother posting it since there is a 8cyl behind it. Great muffler, great sound, great price.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depending upon what rear fascia you have on the car, you could use the GT or Formula exhausts. The 86 and 87SE 4-cylinders also had quad exhausts. The quads should have a little better breathing since it needs to flow more volume than the Duke's stock exhaust. That Jones Full Bore looks good.
PRND3L

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PRND3LSend a Private Message to PRND3LEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the single outlet rear bumper
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PRND3L:

I have the single outlet rear bumper

I thought all bumpers were cut for dual exhaust... My '88 started life as a 2.5....

...unless you mean you only have a single pipe, because obviously that can change...
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All 88's had cutouts for duals. The coupe and Formula shared the same body and fascias and of course the GT had duals.

Indy, 86 and 87SE, and all GT's and 88's had cutouts for dual exhaust. Not sure if the 85SE 2m6 had duals or not, but I believe it may have been the only bumper pad that did.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

All 88's had cutouts for duals. The coupe and Formula shared the same body and fascias and of course the GT had duals.

Indy, 86 and 87SE, and all GT's and 88's had cutouts for dual exhaust. Not sure if the 85SE 2m6 had duals or not, but I believe it may have been the only bumper pad that did.

My 85SE 2M6 had dual cutouts, I believe it to have been stock, but can't say 100%
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

My 85SE 2M6 had dual cutouts, I believe it to have been stock, but can't say 100%

If it had the bumper pad rear and dual cutouts, then yes, the 85SE 2m6 was the only bumper pad with dual cutouts. I was thinking that GFC President Ron768's 85 2m6 had dual cutouts but wasn't sure. The 2m4 would have had a single cutout.

PRND3L

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PRND3LSend a Private Message to PRND3LEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the bumper with the single exhaust exit with the a dual tip; I could go with dual, but then I would need a dual pipe bumper. To be cost effective for now I'm just looking at getting 1.75 or 2.00in piping, cutting out the entire cat section, and adding some form of muffler. The inner boy in me wants a cherry bomb glass pack, but I can't find any videos on the sound, I've considered straight pipe but I'm afraid of not liking that after awhile. I have found a muffler a guy used for a 2.5 S10 at this link
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you have an '87 coupe. You can buy an 88 coupe/formula rear fascia to get a factory look for dual exhausts. Then, you can run a V6 exhaust system. That is what I did in my '87 coupe (convertible).
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could cut an opening for the right side tip. Right now there's an 85GT with a good quad exhaust at the Lithonia Pull-A-Party. Both dual tips are there, too. Row 204. I was just there Friday. I believe all the hangers and springs were still there, too. The whole thing would cost you less than $50. $2/ft for pipe, $13 for the muffler and $13 for the two tips. Take a battery powered sawzall and hack it off at the converter.

I have a gold rear fascia with dual cutouts that you can have if you want. A little dirty because it's been out behind my building for about a year.
PFF
System Bot
PRND3L

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PRND3LSend a Private Message to PRND3LEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Sounds like you have an '87 coupe. You can buy an 88 coupe/formula rear fascia to get a factory look for dual exhausts. Then, you can run a V6 exhaust system. That is what I did in my '87 coupe (convertible).

86 2m4
PRND3L

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PRND3LSend a Private Message to PRND3LEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PRND3L

175 posts
Member since Sep 2013

You could cut an opening for the right side tip. Right now there's an 85GT with a good quad exhaust at the Lithonia Pull-A-Party. Both dual tips are there, too. Row 204. I was just there Friday. I believe all the hangers and springs were still there, too. The whole thing would cost you less than $50. $2/ft for pipe, $13 for the muffler and $13 for the two tips. Take a battery powered sawzall and hack it off at the converter.

I have a gold rear fascia with dual cutouts that you can have if you want. A little dirty because it's been out behind my building for about a year.

could you email me a picture(s) of the fascia? I haven't fully decided on going dual or not, but if I do go dual ill most likely take you up on that offer
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fascia is the aero fascia, same as was used on the Indy, 85GT and 86SE. It has ribbed molding.
PRND3L

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2014 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PRND3LSend a Private Message to PRND3LEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The fascia is the aero fascia, same as was used on the Indy, 85GT and 86SE. It has ribbed molding.

I appreciate the offer, but I don't believe that I will be going with a dual setup.

Happy Thanksgiving
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2014 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I appreciate the offer, but I don't believe that I will be going with a dual setup.

Happy Thanksgiving

I'd still recommend checking out a Jones Full Boar Quiet Tone muffler. They come with a 13" body length, so they are the perfect fit for a Fiero, they have a great sound and very reasonable price! ($65.97 for single in/out, 1.75") They're available lots of places, such as Summit.

http://www.jonesexhaust.com...cts.cfm?ProductTOC=8

http://www.summitracing.com...ending&keyword=Q411B
Zeak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2014 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeakSend a Private Message to ZeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My car also does not have a cat (previous owner removed it), so I plan on removing all the "extra" piping from the bottom of the header to where it curves down under the cradle

The extra piping has 2 pivot points to help prevent the header from being broken. (for the most part)
The ol'duke rocks forward and back a good amount during normal driving.
Just wanted to give a heads up. Still looking for a way around this issue myself.
(photo credit to IFLYR22)
PRND3L

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PRND3LSend a Private Message to PRND3LEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeak:

The extra piping has 2 pivot points to help prevent the header from being broken. (for the most part)
The ol'duke rocks forward and back a good amount during normal driving.
Just wanted to give a heads up. Still looking for a way around this issue myself.
(photo credit to IFLYR22)

2 extra pivot points? What do you mean by that? and the picture you have attached is nothing like the way my exhaust was routed. (yours has a few more bends in it after the header,mid pipe flange

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock