Basic 3800 SC requirements by LornesGT
Started on: 11-21-2014 10:35 PM
Replies: 23 (1329 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 03-27-2015 07:26 PM
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I have searched but I haven't found a list of the basic requirements to install a 3800 SC engine with a 5 speed manual. Here is all I think I need. I have added links and the plan is to keep everything I purchase in my first post for an easy list. I am just going to turn this in to my slow build thread. Think about getting an extra cradle so I can drive my baby while I put this together by spring.
1.) reprogrammed PCM - still needed
2.) front motor mount (poly's recommended all around but not require right away) - bought Rodney Dickmans poly mounts
3.) combine wiring harness. Not sure what portion yet. Drew-py is going to help me with that!
4.) stronger clutch- bought this
5.) flywheel. 98 Camaro flywheel machined down to 0.840 and balance matched to the L67 flexplate
1.07 down to .840 bought at summit https://www.summitracing.co...anner=MobileSwitchNo
5.) exhaust. Manifolds are on the engine - still needed magnaflow planned for lower drone bought magnaflow need to list model number here
6.) coolant lines for radiator Links http://www.google.com/searc...&hl=en&client=safari second line http://www.autozone.com/bel...o-hose-upper-/66486/
7.) fuel pump found on another thread from sig below. May set up to Delphi or maybe this pump http://shop.advanceautopart...ump-e3270n/3141470-P purchased
8.) I am replacing gaskets since some where not on the engine already, I don't want to pull it out for an oil leak or any other. - purchased
9.) Fiero stock starter can be used.

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 12-03-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KentsOkay

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentsOkaySend a Private Message to KentsOkayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know but I'd like to see the answer.
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are keeping your Fiero Manual trans that yea your right on it, But you'll need to upgrade to Rodneys polly trans mounts sooner rather than later. and set aside $400-600 for misc problem solving, (Exhaust, air filter, Coolant lines, Fluids, Ect.) Oh and a Fuel pump if your running a Supercharger

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96)
HX-40, FrozenBoost I/C, 80lb injectors & E85 Coming soon.....

[This message has been edited by 1fast2m4 (edited 11-21-2014).]

LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What fuel pump? I have seen many modify fuel lines, Is it required? Are stock 3800 injectors the right ones?

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 11-22-2014).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2014 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PCM isnt really required, just if you wanted to have a functioning check engine light and possibly prevent stalling issues by hooking the speedo up.

front motor mount and a torque mount of some type for the motor to prevent rocking back and forth.

fuel lines are required.

Coolant hoses are sorta a trick because you can reuse some.

overkill on the clutch is always a good idea. Having a slipping clutch is common and a nightmare to deal with.

air filter/intake

some type of belt modifications for potential alternator relocation and power steering delete.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2014 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fuel lines to the engine not on it, right? Is it the complete line or just from the fuel filter connection point?
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2014 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are several threads showing stainless braided fuel lines. The link below has some pictures of the lines. There are other threads that show how these lines look on the car. You can use hose, but it doesn't look as good and probably not as safe. GM dust buster van equipped with 3800 NA engines used these lines and some members were selling them for about $50/set. One end is a standard GM push lock connector at the engine fuel line manifold. The other needs to be connected to whatever lines you run from the fuel filter area.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/133770.html
AutoMarshal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoMarshalClick Here to visit AutoMarshal's HomePageSend a Private Message to AutoMarshalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks AutoMarshal your thread is full of info I need. Found one so I pulled the trigger but I wish I had read yours first. It's stated don't pull the head unless you have to, well the PO already did. So what do I need to do now?

PCM has a modded tune, so I will be sending in for a new one.

I need a wiring diagram to for combining the harnesses, who has that?

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 11-24-2014).]

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

I need a wiring diagram to for combining the harnesses, who has that?

http://www.gmtuners.com/files/index.htm

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks DF,looks like Greek right now but hopefully I can decipher all that.
look like my particular PCM is not shown on that site. 0935488 but it is a 97 Grand Prix
The note that the owner before the owner that I got the engine from that never did anything with it but take it apart had a note that zzp tuned it. 1.0 PCM L36 map + L67 FB ( I think FB)

I don't suppose it matter since I will have DF prgram the PCM.

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 11-25-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What coolant lines are needed besides to the radiator?

Edit list also and added some links.
mckaymotoworks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great post, I am pursuing this swap myself running the M19 4 speed, I like the backroads and curves of the Tennessee hills/mountains.
I have never been into 1/4 or WOT, more into torque and brief bouts of spirited driving. (too many tickets in my 20 year driving career)

I see quite a few available near me ranging from $400-1200 with others further away all the way up to $3200.
What price range should one expect to pay for a useable 3800SC?

I plan to rebuild whatever I do purchase unless I come across a very low mileage. I am in no rush, I want a factory fit/finish and done properly to insure the least amount of issues possible. The local ones would allow me the ability to inspect, perform some basic test to insure functionality.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

Thanks DF,looks like Greek right now but hopefully I can decipher all that.
look like my particular PCM is not shown on that site. 0935488 but it is a 97 Grand Prix
The note that the owner before the owner that I got the engine from that never did anything with it but take it apart had a note that zzp tuned it. 1.0 PCM L36 map + L67 FB ( I think FB)

I don't suppose it matter since I will have DF prgram the PCM.

The 0935488 number you found was probably the "HDW NO." and that is unimportant. You need to be looking for the "SERV NO." instead.
Drew-py

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Drew-pySend a Private Message to Drew-pyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have not gone to far past the engine buying/building point, come this summer the engine I am running will be coming out because I am building another one with more power. I will be selling the engine short block for sure maybe more. It will come with the flywheel/clutch and has about 30k miles on motor, clutch has under 5k. No idea how much I want havent given much thought yet but we could discuss.
I also have the wire pin out diagram and its not greek to me since I have built a couple now.
My flex fuel lines are all converted to SS braided with a-n fittings.
Coolant lines are simple also, and the biggest help is knowing you have some one close by that has one to look at while building yours so you can make design choices for yours based on what you like or don't like about the way I did mine
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definately makes it easier with someone close by.
What gaskets brand did you use? I would like to order them now.
Where did you get and brand of fuel lines?
Are my coolant pipe to engine rubber lines the correct ones or the one you used?
I hope I have it together for spring but we will see.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2014 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks,

------------------

LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updated some info in the first post.
Fierorog

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierorogSend a Private Message to FierorogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can help you out with the motor mount and the flywheel.

Thanks, Roger
Cell 319-939-1285

3800 SWAP PARTS
KY87fierogt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KY87fierogtSend a Private Message to KY87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The flywheel and mount from fierorog is well worth the money, excellent quality!
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2015 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know what it take to go to archives so I bumped it.
PFF
System Bot
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In that vein and not off topic, I have a question: If you get a long block crate engine can you add a supercharger? Is there a difference between the 3800 and 3800 SC besides the supercharger? Can you get a crate engine suitable for supercharging or would you have to rebuild with stronger pistons, etc. first?

If you need a specifically built engine for supercharging what ballpark can you expect to spend on rebuilding assuming you need new over-sized pistons? I had an engine rebuilt with 150k on it and it needed new pistons, so I assume this scenario is not unlikely.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have an answer for you, I would think you probably need to start a topic on it. I guess I don't have a notification set for my own thread.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in some kind of limbo with PFF. It won't allow me to create my own topic. It just barely allows posting replies. That's ok though, I'm mostly just curious. My DD is fine, but the other, original 85 SE vin 9 won't start. It may now have a broken piston ring as well. If I were to do a swap I'd rather not put in a used engine, but I don't see crate 3800SC's. Thanks for your reply.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock