Started on: 11-21-2014 04:39 PM
Replies: 7 (1295 views)
Last post by: PhatMax on 10-10-2020 08:58 AM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just completely replaced all the front suspension. All new ball joints, bushings, tie rod ends, new larger Fiero Store sway bar.

I have researched and brought myself up to speed as much as I can on aligning a Fiero. I have read that the Hunter machine was not updated with the latest GM TSB available. (The Firestone that I go to has a Hunter machine)

I found a nice reference chart on the Georgia Fiero Club website:

This all makes sense to me except the "Toe In" for the front, which the chart has in millimeters. The Alignment machines use degrees, so I have to way to confirm that it was done correctly. Does 1.6mm = .10 degrees? I have no clue.

Here is how the alignment looked after it was completed this afternoon:

Another area that concerns me is the rear Camber. According to the TSB it should be -.1 degrees. When my car was aligned, the left rear is at -1.0 degrees, almost a full degree off. According to the paperwork it is in green, as it thinks that it is within specifications. On the rear right, the camber is at 0.5 degrees, and highlighted in red, as being out of range. Looking at the chart again, the right is twice as close to being correct according to GM when compared to the left rear, but it is the one that is marked in red.

The car feels fairly good when driving, but still a bit "swirley" when I make a quick lane change. I Feel quite a bit of body roll, or fishtailing kinda feel that I don't think should be there.

Can someone shed some light on what I need to do. Is the above alignment "good enough" or is it out of whack?

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 11-21-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's something not right with the chart you posted. If you look at the acceptable range for rear camber, it's -1.5 to -0.5. The halfway point between those two outer limits is -1.0... not -0.1. Your alignment print out is accurate when it shows that your left rear is correctly lined up at -1.0. Your right rear is at the outer limit of -0.5 degrees, but it is acceptable.

As for the front, the '86 FSM states that the toe should be +0.15 +/- 0.1 degree whereas the machine's limits have been programmed to half that, namely +/- 0.05 degrees. Using the FSM's table, your front toe is still within OEM acceptable limits. But toe is very easily adjusted by simply turning the tie rod one way or the other after loosening the jamb nut so I don't know why they didn't correct the RH toe to be within the machine's limits.
Jims88

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jims88Send a Private Message to Jims88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found this to be helpful to figure out degrees to inches.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...020825-2-018708.html
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know I've seen someone post a "Best setup" list for the alignment.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, sloppy work when toe is out.

Note that if car doesn't have cam bolts for struts then expect rear camber issues.
Is very hard to adjust that w/o the bolts.
You add the cam bolts. Car didn't come w/ from the factory.
See my Cave, Strut & Shock and Alignment Spec's
Spec above came from my cave, I've updated that to make easier to read.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-09-2020).]

PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ogre ! Do you have the alignment specs still ? the link does not work anymore. thank you in advance !
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the links are fixed now.
PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2020 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you sir !

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock