Disgusting exhaust sound by huracan2015
Started on: 11-16-2014 10:59 PM
Replies: 21 (405 views)
Last post by: huracan2015 on 11-19-2014 07:28 PM
huracan2015

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The '85 GT I bought yesterday sounds like a ups/delivery truck. It is absolutely horrible. I'm going to jack up the car tomorrow and take a look but it looks like one side of the muffler has no pipe coming out of it and the other side is only 6 inches long. Thought it was completely missing until I got down on my knees and checked. The engine DOES need a complete overhaul when it comes to flushing out and replacing fluids, and an average tune up with new plugs, wires, cap, rotor. I know it is probably a mix of everything but is the main problem the exhaust? I'm getting ready to chop it off as far up as I can removing the whole system which would make it straight piped minus the pipe, right? Obviously I'll put a new system in it eventually.

[This message has been edited by huracan2015 (edited 11-16-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Compare your exhaust to this. It's what it should look like.
http://www.partsgeek.com/ca...exhaust/muffler.html

There should be one in on the passenger side and one out on each side.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Compare your exhaust to this. It's what it should look like.
http://www.partsgeek.com/ca...exhaust/muffler.html

There should be one in on the passenger side and one out on each side.

Plus dual tips right? Same as the 87GT?
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

huracan2015

304 posts
Member since Apr 2014
Well, this isn't right. Idk why I didn't see this before, although I haven't even had time to check the car over yet. Not dual! Assuming it's not the stock muffler? Smaller diameter pipe too

[This message has been edited by huracan2015 (edited 11-16-2014).]

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check for loose or missing manifold bolts. So far I've found two that just plain weren't there. There is a big gap between the firewall manifold and the head. It's hard to get in there, to say the least. The bolts are M8 x 1.25 x up to 45mm. You may or may not be able to find them at a hardware store or Menards. I tried the TFS studs, but there wasn't enough clearance to turn the stud with a socket. It worked its way back out pretty quick too. It's pretty clear this is the cause of most of the noise in my 85 GT, which otherwise sounds great. Of course it does have the GT tips.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, plus dual tips. It looks like someone has installed part of a Duke exhaust on your car.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Yes, plus dual tips. It looks like someone has installed part of a Duke exhaust on your car.

Yup, aftermarket muffler and tip. I used to have a set of OEM tips for sale. If you are interested, I will see if I have them. You will need a different muffler. Also, I see it is resting on the e-brake cable... not good.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm just going to cut it out today and go open headers. I'm not driving it so don't worry, I know about loudness, tickets, etc...
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The missing bolt issue on the manifolds is a real bear of an issue.

They are likely broken and inside the head. You have to get a carbide bit and drill in and then use a bolt extractor to get them out, or drill them out close to the threads and re-tap. On my old heads I had 3 heli coils for this very reason.

You can't do the job with the engine in place. You can if you unhook the rear cradle bolts and drop the engine down. There are a few wires etc. to keep track of when you do this, but, it frees up some space on the front bank.

Believe me when I say that you can't get the engine to either run right or sound right with missing exhaust manifold bolts. And the fix is an unpleasant job, so good luck with it. And don't look for shortcuts. They don't work.

Arn
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ended up pulling the heads to fix broken exhaust bolts.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is not a bad idea at all. A whole lot of work though and new gasket cost. However, with the heads off you can port them and polish the valve seats.
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-17-2014 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by huracan2015:

I'm just going to cut it out today and go open headers. I'm not driving it so don't worry, I know about loudness, tickets, etc...

Cut it out where exactly? If you just disconnect the Y-pipe it's going to be very loud and still run like crap. If you cut it off at the inlet to the muflfer, it should be able to run OK (assuming the cat isn't clogged), but still be very loud.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

That is not a bad idea at all. A whole lot of work though and new gasket cost. However, with the heads off you can port them and polish the valve seats.

Easier than dropping/swinging the cradle and trying to drill in those cramped quarters

Plus, it gave me a chance to make sure everything looked good
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I must say I can't disagree with jaskispyder.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2014 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are there hangers attached to that muffler? The stock spring ones aren't there.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

Are there hangers attached to that muffler? The stock spring ones aren't there.

No it's only being held up by the ebrake cable
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2014 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe you should get one of those Ferrari mufflers
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2014 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to cut off the muffler today and see what that does. Eventually I'll replace the whole system but I'm just doing this for now. I'll be using a small cut off wheel or maybe even a dremel depending on if I can fit it under the car, but I'm worried about cutting so close to the gas tank. As long as I don't cut the tank should I be worried?

[This message has been edited by huracan2015 (edited 11-19-2014).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2014 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gas tank? That is in the center of the car, between the seats. Are you talking about the trunk, in the back?

Just cut the clamp off and pull the muffler off.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2014 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha oops I'm tired maybe I shouldn't be typing yet
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2014 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use a sawzall. If you don't have one, get one. Best tool ever.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2014 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was all rusty so I borrowed a small cutoff wheel from a friend. Took off the muffler, and also found out someone put a cat delete pipe on it (yay). So now it's basically straight piped. I need to still cut the downpipe off eventually and replace it with a larger diameter, but it's fine for now. I think. It spits flames when I rev it. Bad? Probably. Cool? Yes.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock