Duke Water Pump Pulley by edfiero
Started on: 11-15-2014 03:44 PM
Replies: 8 (206 views)
Last post by: theogre on 11-17-2014 05:48 PM
edfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 84 Duke has a single belt pulley on the water pump. From some reading I've done it seems some Fiero's have a two belt pulley. Anyone know which years have the two belt version?

Is there any advantage of the two belt pulley? I have a lot of trouble with my A/C belt squealing. If routing it around the water pump, would help with the squeal even a little, I'd be open to swapping the pulley.

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thx569

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thx569Send a Private Message to thx569Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The double pulley is for AC systems. The AC uses a longer belt and does help with squealing.. Also can be used with high output double pulley alternators. Assumes you have a double pulley on the crank.

P

[This message has been edited by thx569 (edited 11-15-2014).]

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, what year's have the double pulley on the water pump? I'll post a WTB over in the mall.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Double pulley on WP is for FWD cars. GM just use same pulley on Fiero. All dukes are build at same factory...

FWD cars have Alternator or PS pump on top of WP and driven by WP pulley.
I think FWD is Alt on top of WP, PS pump is where Alt is in Fiero.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is not correct. My 84 has a double pulley on the WP. Alt belt goes around the alt, Crank and WP. AC belt goes around AC, WP and Crank. I can't speak for other years but 84's with AC has a dual pulley on the WP.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TONY_C:

That is not correct. My 84 has a double pulley on the WP. Alt belt goes around the alt, Crank and WP. AC belt goes around AC, WP and Crank. I can't speak for other years but 84's with AC has a dual pulley on the WP.

I am the original owner of an 84, with factory AC. My WP has only a single pulley. The AC belt goes only to the crank. If you check Rockauto, you can see that with A/C some belt is only 37 inches, while other belt is 50 inches. This would obviously be the difference between going around the WP, but I don't have any info on WHY some cars have a double WP pulley and why others don't

I have a lot of trouble with my AC belt since I switched to 134a. If routing around the WP would help with the squeal at all, I'm going to be all over that in the spring.
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

I am the original owner of an 84, with factory AC. My WP has only a single pulley. The AC belt goes only to the crank. If you check Rockauto, you can see that with A/C some belt is only 37 inches, while other belt is 50 inches. This would obviously be the difference between going around the WP, but I don't have any info on WHY some cars have a double WP pulley and why others don't

I have a lot of trouble with my AC belt since I switched to 134a. If routing around the WP would help with the squeal at all, I'm going to be all over that in the spring.

I'm not the original owner of my 84 but I'm pretty sure the PO didn't touch the WP pulley. Maybe the change was made during the model year? I haven't looked in the service manual to see about the belt routing.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My 84 Duke has a single belt pulley on the water pump. From some reading I've done it seems some Fiero's have a two belt pulley. Anyone know which years have the two belt version?
Is there any advantage of the two belt pulley? I have a lot of trouble with my A/C belt squealing. If routing it around the water pump, would help with the squeal even a little, I'd be open to swapping the pulley.
Thanks

I would think if anything having the belt run across the 3 pulleys instead of 2 could make it squeal more, just because it decreases the surface area the belt touches on each pulley.
have you tightened the AC compressor out pretty good? Also if the belt starts squealing it can get a glaze on it which makes it slippery and easier to squeal. You can replace it with a nice high quality belt, or take some sand paper to yours and see it if takes the glaze off.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
I would think if anything having the belt run across the 3 pulleys instead of 2 could make it squeal more, just because it decreases the surface area the belt touches on each pulley. ...
Yes.

OE setup wraps belt 180° around Crank and AC pulleys.

That "Upgrade" using WP wraps AC clutch ~90° means less belt to drive AC compressor. That is not a good thing. The belt likely will fail sooner then OE setup.

Over tight a belt is bad as loose belt. Both can fail the belt. Likely worse because tight belt can fry WP Alt AC bearings. See my Cave, Serpent Belt Has belt tension data etc.

Bad AC pulley bearing can make the belt fail.
Bad AC compressor can make the belt fail.
AC mount brackets problems can cause pulley misalignment...

Some Double pulley WP like have replace dead WP w/ a new pulley and WP. Double pulley keep store inventory low.
Many likely have engines was replace during recall/warranty work. Most engine like that are engines from GM that fits FWD cars and Fiero. They came compete so dealer does minimum work to replace engine. Dealer payout under recall/warranty work are fix pay under GM "flat rate." Most Recall TSB have Labor Rates dealers get. Some recall docs at http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php shows flat rate for Dealers.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock