Axle shaft play, is this normal? by JRP3
Started on: 11-14-2014 07:18 AM
Replies: 10 (267 views)
Last post by: Shho13 on 11-15-2014 06:40 PM
JRP3

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JRP3Click Here to visit JRP3's HomePageSend a Private Message to JRP3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trying to trace out a vibration and wondering if this amount of axle play in the transmission is normal? TH125 Auto. Both sides are about the same.

http://youtu.be/RIwVK096TD4
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That doesn't look like anything unusual. What kind of vibration are you experiencing and what speeds does it occur at?
JRP3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JRP3Click Here to visit JRP3's HomePageSend a Private Message to JRP3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seems to be around 45+ when not accelerating, or with light acceleration, but it's not consistent, i.e. some times it's worse than others under the same conditions. Feels as if it's coming from the rear.
n7vrz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The vibration could be a tire. I have this on my '94 Camaro. Turns out that the two rear tires are making vibrations with every rotation. Could be ply overlap or some other construction cause. I had chased this vibration for over a year. I spent a lot of money 'fixing' things that didn't need fixing.
I finally found the problem when I took the car to a shop that had a tire balancer with a road force measuring device. It puts a drum up against the tire to simulate the force of the car on the road while rotating it at speed. The tire was fine as far as balance was concerned. But still it would provide a shock impulse with every rotation.
This machine also checked the rims to make sure they weren't bent, out of round, etc.
This, of course, doesn't mean that there isn't something wrong mechanically. It is just another thing to keep in mind and is much cheaper than some of the things I did while chasing that damned vibration.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some axial play, in/out movement, is normal. Is only the clips retaining the axle.
Some radial play, side load of CV, is normal too. Trans have sleeve bearings...

Things to look at:
Wheel balance
Bad tire and/or rim
Dying wheel bearings
brake "upgrades"

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
amazing how the seal doesnt leak right!!! It must be with in tolerance then!

TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be the hub bearings. Does the noise change when you make a right or left turn? Another poster said tires, might be a good idea when you have the car in the air to check the hub bearings to swap the tires front to rear and see if the vibration goes away or moves to the front.
JRP3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JRP3Click Here to visit JRP3's HomePageSend a Private Message to JRP3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be bearings, I have changed the right rear already, but I don't notice a difference when cornering, it doesn't feel the same as when the right side was going bad, and I don't feel any play in it. I might change it anyway, and have been considering swapping the tires around to see what happens.
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JRP3:

Could be bearings, I have changed the right rear already, but I don't notice a difference when cornering, it doesn't feel the same as when the right side was going bad, and I don't feel any play in it. I might change it anyway, and have been considering swapping the tires around to see what happens.

IMO if the bearing was bad the seal would leak
JRP3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JRP3Click Here to visit JRP3's HomePageSend a Private Message to JRP3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I meant wheel hub bearings, not transmission bearings.
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Usually a shim or vibration at a certain speed and higher is a tire balance issue. Something to do with frequency and resonation of the suspension... Get the tires balanced somewhere first before you go crazy... A decent shop should balance all four for about 20 bucks. Ask which tire was the worst out of all four and ask for a printout if they can to prove the balance was done. I have seen tires roll into my old shop that were only off by .25 cause a complaint of a vibration, usually only at high speeds. See if there is a cleaner, or even dirtier spot on the rim where weights get attached to, maybe a weight fell off.

Also check for a bent rim. Aftermarket rims are made from CHEAP metal.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 11-15-2014).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors